PO Now: Mastodon - Emperor of Sand

This record is much better than I thought it was going to be. I've been listening to it three times through over the last couple of days and there are some great songs. I LOVE Steambreather. The verse  guitar riff and vocals are awesome. Would have liked it to be a touch heavier but, oh well. 

Now to decide if I just pick up the black now or wait for the inevitable sagging sales  rejuvenating color vinyl release.

They did the same set as Amoeba but they added Sultan's Curse and Crystal Skull, the later being my favorite song of theirs, most of their tours are really new album heavy, but I can assume they're gonna do Circle of Cysquash on this since they're playing it, and they did Bladecatcher, Diviations, Black Tounge, Wolf is Loose, and Megalodon at SXSW, so they're probably gonna be playing those songs on the tour as well. Oh, and Mother Puncher, bless.

I really enjoyed this album. While Show Yourself is catchy and gets stuck in my head, I do agree it almost ruins the flow of this album. It's just so generic and lame and easily one of if not my least favorite songs they have ever done. Other than that, this is easily my favorite since Crack the Skye. There is some really good jams on this album, Steambreather is probably my favorite. I'll most likely wait until they reissue this on colored wax eventually, the color your own jacket doesn't really interest me

Edited by Gippej

I panic bought the LP online as my local was sold out and told me his distros are out as well. Of course it will pop up again and will get a 2nd press if needed, but my feeble brain had to get it NAOW!!!!

After I ordered, I remembered I was going to hold off because, despite how much I love this record, the LP is just the digital master pressed to vinyl, as confirmed by an email from CB in the album's thread on SH. That makes me sad, even though it's most often the case these days. The price we pay for THE HOBBY!!!

9 minutes ago, kannibal said:

I panic bought the LP online as my local was sold out and told me his distros are out as well. Of course it will pop up again and will get a 2nd press if needed, but my feeble brain had to get it NAOW!!!!

After I ordered, I remembered I was going to hold off because, despite how much I love this record, the LP is just the digital master pressed to vinyl, as confirmed by an email from CB in the album's thread on SH. That makes me sad, even though it's most often the case these days. The price we pay for THE HOBBY!!!

If that's true, that is such horse shit. If labels/manufacturers actually took the time to do a proper vinyl master for most releases then the prices they charge might almost be justified but since they are literally being as lazy as possible about this process, I find the general cost of this 2xLP and most others on major labels to be a complete slap in the face. I might still grab this on vinyl but I'm not certain. I'll still have to give this a full proper listen before I decide. "Show Yourself" really hurts the albums cred for me. Its like how "Curl of The Burl" mostly ruined any chance that I would have been interested in The Hunter except this album actually shows some promise. The Hunter was mostly garbage aside from a very few choice tracks.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...