PO Now: Mastodon - Emperor of Sand

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I have the same hopes, but my expectation is that it isn't :/

I listened to most of it, and think it flows well.  It's music, though, so folks are either going to like it or they won't.  It seems to have some heavier passages compared to some of their previous records.  I'll listen to all of it tomorrow on my flight to the west coast.

2 minutes ago, Le Gogh said:

What are people's thoughts on this then? Gave it a listen through Spotify and can't say I was blown away. I actually enjoyed OMRTS quite a bit, but this just feels a bit flat. Maybe it needs another couple of listens...

I've enjoyed it enough. I'd probably pay $15 for it on vinyl, but that's it.

44 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I've listened to it a few times and think it's the best thing they've done since Crack the Skye.  Still not Mastodon at their best, but a step in the right direction.

After one listen, I share this opinion exactly.  I'm going to give it a few more listens and I'll buy it on vinyl unless I end up hating it after another listen.

1 hour ago, lexicondevil said:

This is good to know. I'm listening to it now and was about to turn it off. So far, I feel the same about this as the new Baroness...

i didnt like purple. that album is weak/boring and i dont like the production at all (the artwork is on point though). if were comparing the two, emperor of sand stomps the shit outta purple.