Record Store Day 2017

3 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

An unpopular opinion around these parts, but as someone who had Coheed in my top 5 bands for a good chunk of my later-teen years, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Agreed. Not that the albums after it are bad. I consider them good. Not GA:1 has not been topped yet.

35 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

An unpopular opinion around these parts, but as someone who had Coheed in my top 5 bands for a good chunk of my later-teen years, I'm inclined to agree with you.

32 minutes ago, museummouth said:

Agreed. Not that the albums after it are bad. I consider them good. Not GA:1 has not been topped yet.

I celebrate the entire catalog to an extent (YOTBR doesn't do much for me), but the Writing Writer, Ten Speed, Mother May I, and the Wishing Wells... come on. The best. 

10 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

I celebrate the entire catalog to an extent (YOTBR doesn't do much for me), but the Writing Writer, Ten Speed, Mother May I, and the Wishing Wells... come on. The best. 

For me SSTB will always be their best album. GA:IV is probably a relatively close second though. I really stopped caring about the band after GA2 though.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

For me SSTB will always be their best album. GA:IV is probably a relatively close second though. I really stopped caring about the band after GA2 though.

Feel like I'm in the same boat and maybe that's reinforced by the fact that, the last time I saw them live, In Keeping Secrets had just been released. Didn't realize until years later that they were all linked and tried to listen to the whole saga again, but found it harder to stay focused on anything afterwards.

8 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

For sure, SSTB is still a perfect record by all means. I just get so hyped on a lot of GA1 tracks.

Funny thing, y'all are the only people I've ever seen actually acknowledge No World For Tomorrow as Good Apollo Volume 2. Friends of mine have tried to tell me it isn't a continuation haha. 

17 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Pretty sure they order the item and literally anyone can buy it when they show up for RSD.  That is how 99% of record stores operate, anyway.  It promotes getting there early and competing for the limited and highly-desired items.  I don't think shops are allowed to take your requests and specifically hold them behind the counter for you.

You clearly don't spend enough money at your local record store, then. My guy won't specifically order RSD stuff just for me but if I've expressed serious interest in a RSD title and he only gets 1 or 2 of them, he will usually stash it behind the counter for me. I'm sure I'm not the only customer he does this for, because that's how you take care of your regulars — the people that keep the doors open the other 364 days a year.

My store won't do that. We can put requests in but everything is first come first served.

I'm fortunate in the sense that I'm not interested in a lot of the mainstream releases. Last year I was able to turn up after lunch and everything I wanted was still on the shelf.  However, if they're getting coheed then I might need to get down there early.

It also keeps the excitement if you have to go and search through the store for the stuff you want.

2 hours ago, scottheisel said:

You clearly don't spend enough money at your local record store, then. My guy won't specifically order RSD stuff just for me but if I've expressed serious interest in a RSD title and he only gets 1 or 2 of them, he will usually stash it behind the counter for me. I'm sure I'm not the only customer he does this for, because that's how you take care of your regulars — the people that keep the doors open the other 364 days a year.

This, although my (favorite) local shop makes 6 months rent on RSD so it doesn't really matter if you never go there for anything else. I'm there too much though. They know me by name, call me to tell me about PO delays, and let me pick up stuff a day or two early. Even if I didn't want any RSD releases, I would still show up for a free Upland brew and live music. 

42 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

Oof, came up on a sealed tape copy of this via Discogs not to long ago. Wouldn't mind having a vinyl copy as well. 

Yeah, if this is for real it's the the only real "need" for me this RSD.

edit: also, does anyone else find it kind of hilarious that RSD and Earth Day coincide this year?

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

6 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Yeah, if this is for real it's the the only real "need" for me this RSD.

edit: also, does anyone else find it kind of hilarious that RSD and Earth Day coincide this year?

That's pretty funny. My first RSD was on 420 so that was a helluva day.