Record Store Day 2017

1 minute ago, kannibal said:

One of the problems with the system, though, is that stores don't always get what they order, and have to order a lot of the stuff most people deem out of touch just to ensure they get PART of what they ordered due to perceived demand at their store. Distributors don't want to be stuck with the crap either.

Pressing in adequate quantities is another big problem. Ask your local (small) store if they got the full quantity of their order on popular items.  They never do. It's not hard to look at the list or the leftovers every year and determine how numbers could be better allocated to bigger pressings by eliminating/or lessening some of the less exciting titles.  2000 Faulty Towers Soundtrack picture discs. 2000.

Bigger quantities of less titles may be something to consider to combat some of the negative perceptions. It would also keep those titles of eBay. Smaller bands and labels could still do smaller batches. I don't know. Just a thought.

100% agree with all of this. Interesting that the distros might be applying pressure; didn't think of that aspect but who wants their shelf-space clogged by RSD overstock if the stores themselves are blowing them out to begin with?

Overall I would say the bad aspects of RSD outweigh the good. That said if anyone's own personal holy grail found its way to stores because of it I'd wager most of us would suffer through the crowds or extortionate flipper prices with no remorse. Sure it's imperfect and I'd be happier if bands and labels put things out at a level that meets demand but this hobby of ours is like any other in that it is subject to profiteering of companies and individuals.

Personally, I enjoy it. It is something a little extra to look forward to and see releases for RSD and Black Friday. Every year I end up getting 1-2 releases at least and then a good hand full or so more down the road once they go down in price. People can cry about limited quantities but that is 95% of the reason there are tons and tons of people that go crazy and buy all kinds of stuff they normally would not have in fear it will go up in cost once sold out. I am sure most record stores also like it because it gets people in the doors to buy other stuff or influence them to come back. Guarantee the majority of these people would not be buying so many records if they knew they could easily get it down the line for the same price or less. Limiting releases or making pressing numbers bigger is the last thing the curators of rsd probably want to do since they love every little bit of the craziness and hype it gets each and every year. I would prefer that but complaining about it for months before every rsd day year after year is not going to change anything because the majority of people are still eating all this up.

There are a lot of ridiculous things released and I do not agree with many of them but I still usually end up buying a novelty or two release a year from it so I am part of it. The younger generation with there Crosley playing Justin Bieber listening fans get nonstop shit but they are part of the reason the hobby is thriving and so many artists make sure to release on vinyl as well so I am more then happy to deal with all the stuff I personally do not care much for if it helps keep the medium as a whole healthier.

That is my 2 cents at least. Too much other shit in life to worry about since I still end up getting a few releases I am happy about every year anyways.

I get that RSD is a gimmick, but c'mon, how can you complain so harshly about something designed to help out small businesses, especially record stores? I mean, it got me SO stoked to see a huge ass line outside Underground Sounds in Ann Arbor, Michigan every year because Matt and the guys there run a FANTASTIC shop that's very rarely "full." It really bums me out that I can't fly back to do that again this year. Sure, I get 1 or 2 overpriced records, but whatever man, it's worth it, for me anyway.

It's a give and take I guess.  Whatever. I pretty much just reiterated what @hype said.

There are negatives to EVERYTHING. There will be always be people that criticize and and bring out those faults. Some are merited and some not so much.

That being said. I LOVE record store day. I love sitting in line, talking about vinyl, collecting and experiences. Yes they are gimmicky releases. So what?! There are so many releases, that I always find something I like. I realize people have had bad experiences, but that's in the minority. Go to the shops day of, and ask. People have fun. 

39 minutes ago, RobertSmith said:

There are negatives to EVERYTHING. There will be always be people that criticize and and bring out those faults. Some are merited and some not so much.

That being said. I LOVE record store day. I love sitting in line, talking about vinyl, collecting and experiences. Yes they are gimmicky releases. So what?! There are so many releases, that I always find something I like. I realize people have had bad experiences, but that's in the minority. Go to the shops day of, and ask. People have fun. 

I get both sides of the argument. People like what they like. I never would have found the patience and level of fun required for crate-digging if it weren't for RSD, so I appreciate it at a pretty basic level. I do think they've gotten a bit out of hand over the past few years with such limited pressings, even if it's with the intent of encouraging people to walk into the door.

Realistically, though, that's two days out of the year. What are most of those people doing the other 363?

It think it's beyond hilarious how a "debate" or "argument" formed around me laughing about the shit titles in a record store's RSD 2016 overstock bins.

Frankly though? It's also kind of pathetic and sad, because it's a 100% totally fictional perception of criticism. FWIW I happen to have noted many times earlier in the thread that I'm into a lot of RSD 2017 stuff but apparently context means absolutely nothing here! Meh.

9 hours ago, armadillo01 said:

It think it's beyond hilarious how a "debate" or "argument" formed around me laughing about the shit titles in a record store's RSD 2016 overstock bins.

Frankly though? It's also kind of pathetic and sad, because it's a 100% totally fictional perception of criticism. FWIW I happen to have noted many times earlier in the thread that I'm into a lot of RSD 2017 stuff but apparently context means absolutely nothing here! Meh.

Alright, so let's say your store buys more White Snake albums than it can sell, and years later 90% of the copies are in their bargain bin.  Who's fault is it?  Your store's fault or White Snakes fault?

Distributor pressures and RSD hype aside, the store ultimately decides what to stock.  If they make a poor choice that's on them.

There are plenty of stores near me that have decided that they're not on the RSD train anymore.  There used to be a time where you could pull as many RSD titles as you could into stock and the vast majority will sell the same day.  Not so any more.  As such many stores have limited what they stock from RSD, or don't bother with getting any.  Know your demographic, know what the locals will buy at what price and what they won't.  That's on the store to know, if they get it wrong it's no ones fault but their own.

I'd just like to add to the discussion that my store orders all kinds of things that they never receive. For example, they said they placed an order for as many Government Plates as possible and received none. It's kind of strange that a store can request something and not get one copy, but it happens. 

Either way, I'll probably be participating even if they don't get any Coheed. 

If they really wanted to help small shops, they would have a decent return policy for unsold stock. Also they would reconsider a lot of the bullshit. And yes, I know it's all subjective, but there's no one on earth clamoring for a Toto Africa picture disc pressed to the order of 3500. For every one of these, there is a Loveless that goes unpressed.

The first four RSD were fun, lots of limited releases, good reissues, indie label stuff... fun standing in line for them. By the time the majors got involved, stupid picture discs, overpriced side-by-side gimmicks at $9 a piece, absolutely unnecessary dollar bin reissues... it's a joke now. And like the local store owner told me, he doesn't see most of those people the other 364 days out of the year. 

Wouldn't it be nice if Record Store Day were just a day people were encouraged to go out and hang at their local shop, talk to the owner and fellow music lovers, browse the cool inventory and maybe support the place by buying an album or two? Basically just enjoy themselves - with no exclusives?

5 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

Wouldn't it be nice if Record Store Day were just a day people were encouraged to go out and hang at their local shop, talk to the owner and fellow music lovers, browse the cool inventory and maybe support the place by buying an album or two? Basically just enjoy themselves - with no exclusives?

Sounds swell. Then afterwards I'll take my best gal down to the soda fountain for a phosphate before the sock hop.