Record Store Day 2017

37 minutes ago, jhulud said:

If I can convince this guy to go down to $250, should I take it?

3 minutes ago, AdamJNovak said:

I totally hear what you're saying, but I'm not sure they hype for this release is going to blow over? I do think $250 is a lot for it, but who knows if I'll be able to track one of these down in a few weeks?

You should make an offer then. You can always resell in the future 

1 minute ago, Pupples said:

You should make an offer then. You can always resell in the future 

I did and the lowest he would go down is $250 shipped. The other two on Ebay, one is a shop owner who I had a very disheartening email exchange with over the record (I know flippers and all), but it was pretty appalling that a store owner who is trying to run a legit business would respond the way he did. The other, is a guy who I don't fully trust. Said that he bought it from someone on Instagram and when I asked for more details, he went MIA. This guy who's trying to fund his wedding, I guess I trust, seems legit (said which shop he got it from). Just don't know if I want to drop $250 on it.. 

1 minute ago, kannibal said:

Post this store's name so I can report it to the RSD people for price gouging.

No kidding. That's insane. I think I paid $23 for MP and the Cure's were only like $27 at my store. If they weren't PicDiscs I may have bought them, but $27  seemed excessive for Picture Discs. 

Well you guys, it happened. Looked on Instagram one last time before giving the guy $235 for his wedding and low and behold Streetlight Records in Santa Cruz posted about it. Called them up and they're shipping it to me. I'll have my very own copy of Before the Flood signed by Trent and the boys!!!! $124.99 +shipping!!! 

2 minutes ago, AdamJNovak said:

Well you guys, it happened. Looked on Instagram one last time before giving the guy $235 for his wedding and low and behold Streetlight Records in Santa Cruz posted about it. Called them up and they're shipping it to me. I'll have my very own copy of Before the Flood signed by Trent and the boys!!!! $124.99 +shipping!!! 

awesome! congrats

1 hour ago, januarytwenty said:

If someone happens to have an extra Marcy Playground or sees one, I'd be grateful for one and gladly pay immediately!

Picked up a DMB boxset from Dead Dog Records here in Toronto yesterday and they had a few copies of MP left on the shelf. $49.99CAD I believe. They sometimes ship, look them up on facebook and get in touch - might be in luck.

Edit: also, since I'm posting in here anyway - where the hell do I find some good boxset outer sleeve in Toronto? Only need 2 and don't want to go in for a pack of many from online. Thanks in advance.

Edited by bridley

11 minutes ago, bridley said:

Picked up a DMB boxset from Dead Dog Records here in Toronto yesterday and they had a few copies of MP left on the shelf. $49.99CAD I believe. They sometimes ship, look them up on facebook and get in touch - might be in luck.

Edit: also, since I'm posting in here anyway - where the hell do I find some good boxset outer sleeve in Toronto? Only need 2 and don't want to go in for a pack of many from online. Thanks in advance.

I wonder if Rotate sells any... They sell them in bulk... June Records guys are way knowledgable about those things. Kops, too.

Seen any Cracked Actors anywhere? I should go looking tomorrow.

1 minute ago, armadillo01 said:

I wonder if Rotate sells any... They sell them in bulk... June Records guys are way knowledgable about those things. Kops, too.

Seen any Cracked Actors anywhere? I should go looking tomorrow.

I haven't asked Rotate or Kops, but I buy all my inner sleeves from June (cheapest price I can find for MoFi). I buy all my resealable outer sleeves from Sonic Boom and I don't think they have boxset sleeves listed on their little sleeve menu on the counter downstairs - so I'll stop by Rotate or Kops and ask next time I'm in those areas, thanks for the suggestion.

I only stopped in to Dead Dog yesterday for 2 minutes to grab the boxset and didn't look around. Haven't been in any other stores since before RSD. Sorry.

2 hours ago, AdamJNovak said:

Much better!

Does anyone else hate RSD too?  I just wanted to say that RSD for someone who lives in Canada (specifically Toronto) is a nightmare.  There are not enough good record stores and virtually none of them sell online.  I swear, the only record "store" in Canada that sells online is srcVinyl and Dine Alone.

So, the only other way to get RSD records is to go online to US retailers...but then there are high shipping costs and customs charges.   Why is USPS actually so expensive now?  USD$17 to ship 1 LP to Canada really kills any deal.  Also, a lot of the great US retailers don't even ship to Canada (e.g. Bull Moose, Amoeba, Turntable Lab--I think?)

You could also go to eBay or Discogs, but they're all flippers there AND you have to pay exorbitant shipping costs (except if the item is coming from Germany because Deutsche Post is awesome).  

For UK exclusives, you have to wait a whole week before they get to sell their leftover stock online.  By that time, you're likely not going to find what you're looking for and so you'll have to eventually turn to flippers on eBay and Discogs.  

I know RSD is meant to get you into a physical record store, but when you don't live near any or when they are spread out over a radius of 40km  in your city, it's difficult to make that journey with no guarantee that your store will even get any of the items you are looking for because they don't have an online presence and therefore, you can't find a list of the items they ordered.  Also, the highway that leads from suburbia to downtown to all the record stores was CLOSED on RSD weekend. T_T

It's like this every year.  Does anyone feel this way?  It's like all I do at this time of year is line flippers' pockets. Sorry, I just had to rant.

That said, has anyone seen that Smiths 7" anywhere?  There are 12000 copies of it, why does it sell for USD$100?   It's not even close to being rare!  Also looking for Cribs.  Anyone in Toronto seen these?

Edited by plucker

7 minutes ago, plucker said:

Does anyone else hate RSD too?  I just wanted to say that RSD for someone who lives in Canada (specifically Toronto) is a nightmare.  There are not enough od record stores and virtually none of them sell online.  I swear, the only record "store" in Canada that sells online is srcVinyl and Dine Alone.

So, the only other way to get RSD records is to go online to US retailers...but then there are high shipping costs and customs charges.   Why is USPS actually so expensive now?  USD$17 to ship 1 LP to Canada really kills any deal.  Also, a lot of the great US retailers don't even ship to Canada (e.g. Bull Moose, Amoeba, Turntable Lab--I think?)

You could also go to eBay or Discogs, but they're all flippers there AND you have to pay exorbitant shipping costs (except if the item is coming from Germany because Deutsche Post is awesome).  

For UK exclusives, you have to wait a whole week before they get to sell their leftover stock online.  By that time, you're likely not going to find what you're looking for and so you'll have to eventually turn to flippers on eBay and Discogs.  

I know RSD is meant to get you into a physical record store, but when you don't live near any or when they are spread out over a radius of 40km  in your city, it's difficult to make that journey with no guarantee that your store will even get any of the items you are looking for because they don't have an online presence and therefore, you can't find a list of the items they ordered.  Also, the highway that leads from suburbia to downtown to all the record stores was CLOSED on RSD weekend. T_T

It's like this every year.  Does anyone feel this way?  Sorry, I just had to rant.

Buying from Germany rules