ethanpricington

Record Store Day 2017

1,423 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, museummouth said:

Would be all about those Cure LPs....if they weren't picture disc.

Yeah if there was more on the list I wanted and these were just plain old black I'd have definitely thrown them onto my list even though I have my favourite cure albums already on wax. As it goes Fab.ca is currently listing 300 items when you search and none of them are enough to have me lose a night of sleep. London is generally crazy for RSD so the last one I went to I got there at 9pm the day before and still wasn't first in line. 

New additions some may care about:
Disney's Moana: How Far Will I Go/You're Welcome Picture Disc 10" (I know I've seen people discuss collecting these)

Star Wars: A New Hope 40th Anniversary Ltd Ed 10" (again not for me but people go nuts for star wars)

The Who - Quadrophenia 2LP (Parka Green)

Rob Zombie - God's On Voodoo Moon 7" 

1 minute ago, museummouth said:

At least The Cure picture discs have actual jackets vs just plastic.  If Greatest Hits is cheap I'll get the main one since that track list is amazing and has a great flow for a compilation. 

Yeah i agree the flow is great. I'm not against having compilations on vinyl either, still not enough to have me camping out on the street for just this n maybe the Cocteau Twins bits. If the Cure were putting out their self titled I'd definitely be digging out my camp chair though.

11 minutes ago, museummouth said:

At least The Cure picture discs have actual jackets vs just plastic.  If Greatest Hits is cheap I'll get the main one since that track list is amazing and has a great flow for a compilation. 

Suggested retail on those is 31.98. 

These would be a great candidate for a wider release, standard black I'm hoping. Was stoked till I saw they were picture discs. 

From Rough Trade's instagram...

"We are excited to announce the reissue of Elastica's debut album 'Elastica' which came out in March 1995 and went straight to number 1. The album will be released on limited edition vinyl on 22nd April 2017 as part of UK and Ireland @recordstoreday. The special vinyl album package will include a fanzine and flexi disc, which will feature the track “In The City” from their John Peel session."

whoa and MicLima like this

On 16/03/2017 at 9:37 AM, Stress On The Sky said:

Yeah i agree the flow is great. I'm not against having compilations on vinyl either, still not enough to have me camping out on the street for just this n maybe the Cocteau Twins bits. If the Cure were putting out their self titled I'd definitely be digging out my camp chair though.

This. Really want that self titled album. 

Posted (edited)

On 3/16/2017 at 8:31 AM, museummouth said:

Literally the only comp I can think of that has great flow of tracks throughout....really wish it wasn't a picture disc 

Edited by FlippingOut

6 hours ago, MicLima said:

Same, hopefully they post the leftovers online or it makes it over here for RSD.

4 hours ago, moodist said:

Limited to 1000.

Good luck to you all. I waited hours in 2014 in the cold and then was stuck in a roped-off conveyer-belt line that ran around the inside of the whole store (meaning you couldn't cut in line to get to cashiers if you found all you need) only to be told that only a handful of copies ever made it over in North America and they never got a copy. It was literally the only thing I needed that year, too. 

Your best bet is to order from Norman Records literally seconds after their RSD inventory goes up. I could have done it in '14 but I hedged.

4 hours ago, FlippingOut said:

.really wish it wasn't a picture disc 

The #1 reason I hate RSD is because they clog pressing plants with bullshit no one buys (just browsed through three milkcarts worth of 5 dollar discounted RSD 2016 titles at the local store today for ex). But the #2 reason is the picture discs in particular.

kannibal likes this

21 minutes ago, armadillo01 said:

The #1 reason I hate RSD is because they clog pressing plants with bullshit no one buys (just browsed through three milkcarts worth of 5 dollar discounted RSD 2016 titles at the local store today for ex). 

So out of the cases and cases of records the store bought for RSD last year they only have a milk carts worth a year later....sounds like most of the releases were bullshit people wanted to buy (I know every store I go to has lines and lines of folks buying stuff).  Don't see where a few misses here or there is any different than the product they stock any other day of the year....

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

So out of the cases and cases of records the store bought for RSD last year they only have a milk carts worth a year later....sounds like most of the releases were bullshit people wanted to buy (I know every store I go to has lines and lines of folks buying stuff).  Don't see where a few misses here or there is any different than the product they stock any other day of the year....

You're defending Justin Bieber LPs FWIW. Oh, and Ed Sheeran.

Also, how did you go from me clearly typing "three" to you going "a milk carts [sic.] worth"? Read comprehension fail much, friend?

Edited by armadillo01

I didn't type three, but I did over look it in your post.  However, three still isn't bad if its a large store that bought anything near as much as my local stores do.  One of our local stores sets up a large parking lot tent to hold all the stuff he gets (Euclid Records), so yeah if they only had 3 boxes left over they would consider that a great day!  Also I have nothing against Beiber records....but different strokes for different folks.

Posted (edited)

I mean Justin Beiber and Ed Sheeran are pretty popular. I see why stores may order more of those. I personally don't enjoy their music, but I get how people do and don't think its unreasonable if a store gets alot and have it left over. 

I'd have less issues with RSD if they repressed shit. Limiting stuff to 500, 1000 or even 5000 for massive bands when demand will outweigh that number doesn't drive me to line up, it makes me wait to watch ebay or discogs so I don't have to put up with the crowd. Stores don't win when that happens and I'd posit I'm not the only one who feels that way. 

Edited by timsimmons
stl_ben likes this