WHY DO PEOPLE CARE ABOUT CORNER DINGS?!?

Satan

If I'm buying something that's new, I expect it to be in new condition. Would you be pissed if the car dealership gave you a brand new car with a ding on the door and expected you to pay full price? Why should you care? The ding doesn't affect the driving at all!

I've always been a collector, whether it be cassettes, cds, vinyl, etc.  I always tried to keep my things in good order, including not laying the cds out of their case on a table or something, so same goes for vinyl.  If I really didn't care about collecting and holding something in my hand, I would just not buy physical copies and buy everything from itunes.

1 minute ago, ntslash said:

If I'm buying something that's new, I expect it to be in new condition. Would you be pissed if the car dealership gave you a brand new car with a ding on the door and expected you to pay full price? Why should you care? The ding doesn't affect the driving at all!

Cars aren't delivered in a cardboard box that gets thrown around on its way across the country. Also a ding on a car is something the dealer would/could fix because you're paying thousands of dollars and not $20.

But for real, actual corner dings mean nothing to me if they're truly minor and live up to the "ding" nature of their name.  If it isn't immediately pulling my attention when I'm looking at the art, I let it slide.  Much like a little wear on the seam from transit; it's not even visible from most angles, and I'm cool with a bit of it so long as half the record isn't hanging out like a gutted fish.

But this is coming from someone who typically keeps 99% of what I order for personal enjoyment.  I do think the rules change a bit if you're looking for an archival copy to frame, resell, or otherwise do weird shit with.

Cars and records are inherently different anim....

i Personally  give zero ahits about dings or folds or whatever.  That being said people should list the issues in the description. Especially in todays over sensitive world. Seems i remember some people throwing shit fits about it more than once.

But for me, As long as that shit plays, im good. 

3 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Cars aren't delivered in a cardboard box that gets thrown around on its way across the country. Also a ding on a car is something the dealer would/could fix because you're paying thousands of dollars and not $20.

The things you're saying are true. It was obviously an extreme comparison. But the point is still that if I'm buying something that's new, it should be in new condition. 

99% of the records I get in the mail don't have corner dings. I would feel confident saying that 100% of corner dings either happen before the record gets shipped or because the record was poorly packed. If you do a halfway decent job of packing a record, it's not going to get dinged. These things really aren't that delicate. Hell, one of my kids dropped one of my records on the ceramic tile in the bathroom. Landed right on the corner. There was no corner ding. 

11 minutes ago, Satan said:

No. I was asking a question and getting input, which you failed to give. Thanks!

It's something you should've been able to deduce on your own.  Corner dings don't bother me...neither do spindle marks on the label, or other weird pet peeves other people have.   But I hate spine splits with a passion.  Why?  Because I do.  People are weird and have weird obsessions.  That includes you.  These discussions are exhausting...so bye.  I look forward to your thread tomorrow: "Why do some people dislike cauliflower?"

2 minutes ago, ntslash said:

The things you're saying are true. It was obviously an extreme comparison. But the point is still that if I'm buying something that's new, it should be in new condition. 

99% of the records I get in the mail don't have corner dings. I would feel confident saying that 100% of corner dings either happen before the record gets shipped or because the record was poorly packed. If you do a halfway decent job of packing a record, it's not going to get dinged. These things really aren't that delicate. Hell, one of my kids dropped one of my records on the ceramic tile in the bathroom. Landed right on the corner. There was no corner ding. 

I've gotten records packaged like tanks or in whiplash mailers where there was minor but clear damage to the box and a ding or split seam on one or more of the records. It happens.  It's not ideal, even a minor cosmetic flaw is a bit of a bummer. But it's not the kind of shit where a record label or seller should eat the cost.

Life is full of dinged corners.

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

It's something you should've been able to deduce on your own.  Corner dings don't bother me...neither do spindle marks on the label, or other weird pet peeves other people have.   But I hate spine splits with a passion.  Why?  Because I do.  People are weird and have weird obsessions.  That includes you.  These discussions are exhausting...so bye.  I look forward to your thread tomorrow: "Why do some people dislike cauliflower?"

No. It's a serious question wondering why people wonder/care  about this. For information sake. Getting their opinion. You just come off as an asshole. 

Ill be sure to make that thread tomorrow just for you, honeycakes.

Edited by Satan

35 minutes ago, Satan said:

but a buyer in discogs asked

And if I was buying something and had the option to choose between multiple sellers, I would try to find the one with the best price, lowest shipping rate, and making sure there were no other factors like corner dings, to sway me one way or another.

In general, I find it annoying to buy a new record, and have it arrived with a ding.  But whatever, I just store my records for personal enjoyment, and don't really care about the ding as much afterwards.  And someone else wrote above, that the package may have been damaged on one side, and multiple records inside had a corner ding...yeah...that happened to me and was very annoying, since there were about 5-6 records in there, and were all new.

40 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Detracts from that optimal resale value, of course.

exactly. a bad corner ding can bring the grade of a jacket from NM to VG+. this, of course, lowers the optimal resale value and, in turn, reduces the investment gains we could hope to achieve from our vinyl portfolios.