WHY DO PEOPLE CARE ABOUT CORNER DINGS?!?

Satan

I don't freak out about it, but I can see why others do.

As someone else mentioned. It's like buying a new car with a dent in it.

NM obviously sells for more than a VG+ with a ding in the corner. The evidence is all over Discogs. So, people are willing to pay extra for the NM jacket. If they pay extra for it, I would imagine they expect it to arrive in NM condition.

Edited by vinyl addict

Depends how much I spent on the record. I spent around $50 on an album and specifically asked for it to be packed with record separate from jacket. They ignored that and it showed up with a huge split on both the top and the bottom. I think the price tag made that hard to swallow.

Dings matter to people for the same reason they do to sports card, coin or comic book collectors. Ask a baseball card or currency collector how much difference a ding makes to the value of a card or note - probably like 75% on an in-demand one. 

People who collect anything are weird. People who collect anything involving printer matter are even weirder. It's like they need some way to rank one copy of something over the next so they'll look for the slightest noticeable markings and use them as benchmarks. 

I don't think it's that hard to understand. If you're only interested in the tunes, then be happy with your copy of an album dug from the bargain bin and be done with it. If you're an obsessive "collector" then you'll probably spend the rest of your adult life searching for the most pristine copy of "Dark Side of the Moon" imaginable, and when you finally find that mint sealed OG you'll wake up each morning paranoid that this will be the day it'll fall on the ground and get a corner ding. 

I don't think one is right and one is wrong. Just two sides of the vinyl appreciation coin. 

1 hour ago, DOMAN127 said:

Depends how much I spent on the record. I spent around $50 on an album and specifically asked for it to be packed with record separate from jacket. They ignored that and it showed up with a huge split on both the top and the bottom. I think the price tag made that hard to swallow.

Exactly, totally agree

28 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

A few years ago I bought a boxset at full price  from Interpunk that arrived with a giant slash across the back of it and promptly sent an email to [email protected], cause who cares?

giphy.gif

I'm getting an intermittent loading icon between clips, anybody else?

I've been collecting since the late 80s. And though record and cover condition have always been a factor, and graded according to Record Collector/Goldmine standards, I think in recent times with a wave of new collectors and vinyl becoming fashionable again, it's become more intense. And small imperfections are not tolerated.

When you used to have to actually buy records from a shop, they weren't sealed most of the time, and there was obviously some minor dings from an object being carried around. In this brave new world, I think people want them to be unblemished.

That said, to avoid all this, I photograph everything I am selling in hi-res and from all angles so nobody has any surprises when it turns up.

8 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Detracts from that optimal resale value, of course.

7 hours ago, Fungi said:

exactly. a bad corner ding can bring the grade of a jacket from NM to VG+. this, of course, lowers the optimal resale value and, in turn, reduces the investment gains we could hope to achieve from our vinyl portfolios.

76fcafddd05e8637e6d50d28d0ed35d6.gif

Edited by Eliminator Jr.

This reminds me of a Tool bootleg I sold to a guy on eBay. Graded it as VG+ because of corner dings. A german guy won the auction about 2/3rd what I paid, so it was a loss from the get-go, but then he had the audacity to raise a dispute/refund because my photos didn't show how bad the corner dings were claimed the listing misleading.  (they weren't, that's why you couldn't see them without an effing zoom lens) 

I told him the grading reflected minor dings but he wouldn't budge. Never had a buyer dispute raised in my life, I pride myself on accurate gradings. Gave him a discount and called it a day.  But next time I'm not putting up with that baloney. 

I mostly buy new items, in transit shit does happen and occasionally I get a mangled corner or a split seam.  I'm relying on the postal service and the label/distributor to safely transport me something that is essentially made of card so it doesn't really surprise me when it happens now, I'm too far into the hobby to lose sleep over it.

The only time I'm really bummed about cover creases, dings or splits is in the very few cases that it becomes difficult to remove the actual record without causing further damage but even then that's more just frustrating than anything else.  I'd obviously prefer everything made it to me in pristine condition but most of that is out of my control and unless the record itself is trashed I won't do anything about it.

Edited by Stress On The Sky

2 hours ago, ScaleTheInferno said:

This reminds me of a Tool bootleg I sold to a guy on eBay. Graded it as VG+ because of corner dings. A german guy won the auction about 2/3rd what I paid, so it was a loss from the get-go, but then he had the audacity to raise a dispute/refund because my photos didn't show how bad the corner dings were claimed the listing misleading.  (they weren't, that's why you couldn't see them without an effing zoom lens) 

I told him the grading reflected minor dings but he wouldn't budge. Never had a buyer dispute raised in my life, I pride myself on accurate gradings. Gave him a discount and called it a day.  But next time I'm not putting up with that baloney. 

With eBay, you really don't have much of a choice, unfortunately. It's designed in favor of the buyer. The seller gets screwed everytime.

Anytime a buyer complains, the seller needs to do there best, otherwise it's the threat of Neg feedback (buyers can't be given Neg feedback)

Edited by vinyl addict