7" vinyl storage

jas115

I am using milk crates to store 12" LP's which are great BTW IMO.

They say not to store your 7" 45 records with your LP's.... Is there a good solution for 7" vinyl storage?

Should I just get a plastic container so my 7" vinyl will fit?

Thanks.

I was also of ditching the milk crate ideas and make  like a 2 tier shelf bottom for LP's and the top height set to fit 7" records.

Thanks for advice.

I went to a box store and got a few cardboard box type things... fuck, this is going to be hard to explain... I think what they are meant for is for displaying things that are for sale. I will take a picture when I get home. They are perfect and only cost about $2 each. I only needed 2 for my 7"s. I'll be back later with a photo.

5 hours ago, jas115 said:

I am using milk crates to store 12" LP's which are great BTW IMO.

They say not to store your 7" 45 records with your LP's.... Is there a good solution for 7" vinyl storage?

Should I just get a plastic container so my 7" vinyl will fit?

Thanks.

I was also of ditching the milk crate ideas and make  like a 2 tier shelf bottom for LP's and the top height set to fit 7" records.

Thanks for advice.

Target used to sell (and maybe still sells) small versions of these plastic crates: http://www.target.com/p/milk-crate-storage-bin-/-/A-51393827  I use three of them to hold my singles and they work great.

If you use crates for your 12" or 7" records, I would strongly recommend using a square of cardboard (or two) at the back of your stack to absorb all the pressure/weight and one at the bottom of the crate, in case the crate has any weird indentations that might indent the bottom of your sleeves. Having a square at the bottom also makes it easier to slide/move the records without them being caught on said indentations during browsing.

Back in high school, I made this 7" holder in shop class. I guessed on the measurements, went a little over 7 inches so I could fit the sleeves. However, it was just barely too small to fit the majority of my 45s without damaging the sleeves. I stored them in it at a slant for about two years. It still fits a lot of my 45s, just not most of them.

29bc288.jpg

Late last year, I gathered up some materials from around my house and garage and made a new & improved version. This one fits my 7-inches perfectly! You could build one too! Just recycle some things around your house that you don't use anymore. I used ply wood, an old speed limit sign, a paint stick and an old retail mouse pad. You can use tons of other materials though! The setup is extremely easy, so long as you're decent with a saw and some nails/ screws.

2w6ia34.jpg 11brhn5.jpg

Then just slap some stickers on there and you're all set!

Edited by MyckelJay
fixed a typo