I have a question for vinyl collectors

I really hope that someone, somewhere, has cherry-picked their favorite contributions to these "research" threads (or survey websites) to share in a PowerPoint presentation.  Ideally among peers.

"Going off the sample pool taken from 'Vinyl Collective', you can see right here that the current consumer of vinyl over the age of 20 was introduced to the format through cat gifs.  There's also an indication that vinyl connoisseurs residing on the East coast share a correlating belief in worshipping the devil, and a select percentile found themselves entering the vinyl world solely to fashion bowls."

it all started when i was 7 years old.  My sister and i both had 45's of we built this city by Starship.  I was rocking out so hard that I accidentally stepped on hers, so i had to give her mine. 

Fast forward to today my collection consists of a few Corey Hart albums and roughly 600 copies of we built this city by starship. 

Started buying records at punk shows as a teen and used my dads crappy turntable to play them. He had a lot of other neat punk albums so I listened to them as well. Went into the military and kept buying a couple records while being a total noob about it (throwing away inner sleeves because it was aggravating having to put them back in.) Fast forward to being out of the navy and I have some disposable income while going to college so i start getting into equipment and buying more records. Got into the "emo revival" scene and bout a ton of that type of stuff.  Fast forward to today and I have about 900 records and a system I've put about $5000 into.

I got into vinyl records at the tender age of 9 in 1977 in the forlorn but laudable hope I could in later life bore the living shit out of people at parties about the subject once vinyl records were no longer fashionable, all went fine with this cunning plan all through the 1990's where I could hold an air of unfounded superiority at social gatherings ad infinitum, in fact as boring the shit out of people went I was the man right up until the early 2000's and then some cock womble decided to make vinyl records cool again with the facial topiary single speed bicycle riding types and there I was cast out into the fashionable herd once again. I've been in stunned silence on the subject ever since around 2006 and I've never really recovered, do you think there is some support group I could talk to about this?

9 hours ago, allenh said:

I got into vinyl records at the tender age of 9 in 1977 in the forlorn but laudable hope I could in later life bore the living shit out of people at parties about the subject once vinyl records were no longer fashionable, all went fine with this cunning plan all through the 1990's where I could hold an air of unfounded superiority at social gatherings ad infinitum, in fact as boring the shit out of people went I was the man right up until the early 2000's and then some cock womble decided to make vinyl records cool again with the facial topiary single speed bicycle riding types and there I was cast out into the fashionable herd once again. I've been in stunned silence on the subject ever since around 2006 and I've never really recovered, do you think there is some support group I could talk to about this?

Mr. allenh never disappoints...

On 2/2/2017 at 11:48 AM, ShayShay said:

I now have 4 records and am looking to expand the collection and was curious about how others gained interest in the subject.

I was curious what 4 records you have and why you care about our interest. Would your likelihood to expand your collection be impacted by how far our fixation has developed?

As other posts here have demonstrated,  collectors here care little about what others think - if you care, it may be best to find a different hobby before you get hurt, and be glad you're only 4 records in.

2 hours ago, Cloudsbelow said:

a dirty (one dude actually did smell like piss) punk band i recorded put out a 7".. thought i should probably own it.  That lead to me believing that I should own ALL THE vinyl, i've been able to subdue that urge, lately.

You had me at piss