How Often Does Everyone Clean their Stylus?

Simply washing your records won't keep the stylus clean, there's still stuff it will pick up during play.

I like to clean my stylus with Zerodust before I play an album. Takes less than 10 seconds.

As far as the best brush to "push dirt around a record" goes,I prefer a MOFI brush. It's easy to use, works well, and the pad on the brush is replaceable. If you really want to go about it on a budget, you could just buy a MOFI replacement pad and stick in the side of a piece of 2x4.

Edited by vinyl addict

3 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

Simply washing your records won't keep the stylus clean, there's still stuff it will pick up during play.

I like to clean my stylus with Zerodust before I play an album. Takes less than 10 seconds.

As far as the best brush to "push dirt around a record" goes,I prefer a MOFI brush. It's easy to use, works well, and the pad on the brush is replaceable. If you really want to go about it on a budget, you could just buy a MOFI replacement pad and stick in the side of a piece of 2x4.

Thanks. Yes, I actually picked up the Zerodust and use it every day. I haven't found an effective, reliable way to clean it though. I find that it gets covered in a fine layer of fuzz that prevents it from working as well. Do folks just run it under the tap?

1 minute ago, The Mule said:

Thanks. Yes, I actually picked up the Zerodust and use it every day. I haven't found an effective, reliable way to clean it though. I find that it gets covered in a fine layer of fuzz that prevents it from working as well. Do folks just run it under the tap?

I believe you can use tap water and mild soap to remove the gunk. I just use water and it cleans it enough to start working well again.

A properly-used Zerodust does work pretty well, but I understand how it's cost-prohibitive to some. That being said, adding the right cleaning regimen was the single-most value-added thing I've done in my system.

The problem with just rinsing is not knowing what minerals are in your water. Unless the water's super-clean, there's always the possibility of mineral deposits sticking to the record surface once it's dried.

I started with a SpinClean and got marginal results, but the fact you have to dry your records with a microfiber after never sat right with me. Got a Record Doctor V for Christmas last year, paired it up with the 3-step solutions from Audio Intelligent, and I haven't looked back. Yeah, it takes more time, but the results are significantly better than just using a brush or what I was able to do with the SpinClean. That 3-piece kit gets you an enzyme-based cleaner as the first step, followed by a Super Cleaner, then Ultra-Pure Water. With your Okki Nokki and a couple runs through, you should be able to get everything done within about 5 minutes. L'Art Du Son would also be an effective one-step method and I've seen bottles of concentrate pop up on Amazon every now and then.

I still recommend that AIVS stuff for you, Mule. I think you can get the whole kit (with brushes) for about $110 plus whatever shipping costs, but those are 32oz bottles each. Used properly, it'll take a while to get through that. I've done about 50-60 records and I'm still over half of each bottle left. Definitely a worthwhile investment.

Now, as for the stylus, I use this about once every 10 sides, but I've gotten way less crap to stay on the stylus after adopting the above cleaning methods:

http://www.sleevecityusa.com/diskeeper-sc5-stylus-cleaner-p/sc-5.htm

9 hours ago, neo_styles said:

A properly-used Zerodust does work pretty well, but I understand how it's cost-prohibitive to some. That being said, adding the right cleaning regimen was the single-most value-added thing I've done in my system.

The problem with just rinsing is not knowing what minerals are in your water. Unless the water's super-clean, there's always the possibility of mineral deposits sticking to the record surface once it's dried.

I started with a SpinClean and got marginal results, but the fact you have to dry your records with a microfiber after never sat right with me. Got a Record Doctor V for Christmas last year, paired it up with the 3-step solutions from Audio Intelligent, and I haven't looked back. Yeah, it takes more time, but the results are significantly better than just using a brush or what I was able to do with the SpinClean. That 3-piece kit gets you an enzyme-based cleaner as the first step, followed by a Super Cleaner, then Ultra-Pure Water. With your Okki Nokki and a couple runs through, you should be able to get everything done within about 5 minutes. L'Art Du Son would also be an effective one-step method and I've seen bottles of concentrate pop up on Amazon every now and then.

I still recommend that AIVS stuff for you, Mule. I think you can get the whole kit (with brushes) for about $110 plus whatever shipping costs, but those are 32oz bottles each. Used properly, it'll take a while to get through that. I've done about 50-60 records and I'm still over half of each bottle left. Definitely a worthwhile investment.

Now, as for the stylus, I use this about once every 10 sides, but I've gotten way less crap to stay on the stylus after adopting the above cleaning methods:

http://www.sleevecityusa.com/diskeeper-sc5-stylus-cleaner-p/sc-5.htm

Thanks - I appreciate that. Will check out AIVS and maybe switch to their fluid(s) once this bottle of the Okki Nokki cleaner runs out, which is going to be soon. I like the idea of eliminating the isopropyl alcohol from the mix.

8 hours ago, The Mule said:

Thanks - I appreciate that. Will check out AIVS and maybe switch to their fluid(s) once this bottle of the Okki Nokki cleaner runs out, which is going to be soon. I like the idea of eliminating the isopropyl alcohol from the mix.

Is there something about IPA you don't like? It's an extremely effective wetting agent.

1 minute ago, neo_styles said:

Is there something about IPA you don't like? It's an extremely effective wetting agent.

To me IPA means India pale ale, and there's nothing about that that I don't like! :)   

Seriously though, I've read in a few places where folks were saying that the alcohol was potentially damaging to vinyl. Probably not at the concentrations in these solutions, but somehow in my mind it seems better to leave it out if possible. I could certainly be wrong though. I found a source for the L'Art du Son too, by the way. Haven't decided yet which to go with. I do like the one-step method option.

2 hours ago, The Mule said:

To me IPA means India pale ale, and there's nothing about that that I don't like! :)   

Seriously though, I've read in a few places where folks were saying that the alcohol was potentially damaging to vinyl. Probably not at the concentrations in these solutions, but somehow in my mind it seems better to leave it out if possible. I could certainly be wrong though. I found a source for the L'Art du Son too, by the way. Haven't decided yet which to go with. I do like the one-step method option.

I work in biotech, so pale ales stay at the bar or in my fridge lol. Don't mind a good brew, though.

IPA, at these concentrations, won't make a difference. There's suggestions that it could eat away at the surface of your records long-term, but that's why a rinse step is included at the end. That being said, AIVS does offer an alcohol-free substitute for the Deep Clean step for users who are averse to IPA. Fwiw, I can hear nor see no ill effects on my end.

As for one-step, it should work just fine on all but legitimately dirty records (ie mold, tar, etc), but I do remember reading an article by the guy who created AIVS that the enzyme step was added in mainly to remove the factory mold release that, he determined, most of the other products out there wouldn't. That was enough to convince me to spend a little extra.

Just now, The Mule said:

Got it. I emailed Jim Pendleton at AIVS earlier and he answered a few of my questions. Might speak to him tomorrow, but I'm definitely leaning towards his product. I appreciate your advice as well!

Jim's great and eager to help out. I'm sure he won't steer you wrong. Don't be afraid to ask any technical questions you might have. As much as that stuff costs per oz, it's better to know you're getting exactly what you want.