New Records Skipping

Hello All,

I recently purchased a 180 gram reissue of David Bowie's, "Ziggy Stardust...." and on the first play the entire second side was skipping. I run an AudioTechnical AT-LP120 with the stock needle and have had it for about a little over a year now. 

I am currently in contact with AudioTechnica's customer service over it, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what could be the problem. I returned the album initially and bought a different copy, but came up with similar results. So I have re-calibrated the tone arm and its weight. and have messed around with some of the settings, but I haven't found any solution. My concern is that it might be something in the needle or else the antiskate perhaps. 

Either way, all help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

A lot of people have complained about the recent reissues of this album.  I just checked discogs and people were complaining about the 2nd side and especially B2 skipping.  Here is what someone said.

"The second side of my version is close to unplayable. Skips abound (similar to those saying B2 skipped). Will be looking for another version soon. Very disappointed."

Might want to look into a better/older pressing of that record.

I had a copy of The Format - Interventions and Lullabies that skipped multiple times through every song on both sides of the album. I cleaned it and then it didn't skip at all. This is when I started cleaning every record before playing them. I'd recommend trying that as well. If that doesn't work, I'd say it's most likely a pressing issue, not an issue with your LP120.

Edited by RhoBearToe

31 minutes ago, vinyl21 said:

A lot of people have complained about the recent reissues of this album.  I just checked discogs and people were complaining about the 2nd side and especially B2 skipping.  Here is what someone said.

"The second side of my version is close to unplayable. Skips abound (similar to those saying B2 skipped). Will be looking for another version soon. Very disappointed."

Might want to look into a better/older pressing of that record.

No issues with my copy. OP give it a good cleaning.

Clean the record

Clean the stylus/check for proper tonearm weight calibration

Research Discogs and online to see if others have a similar issue

If you do all the above and the record still skips, it is time to contact the seller about a replacement/refund. It happens sometimes. The newest reissue of the Talking Heads' Speaking in Tongues had a ton of skips even though it was brand new.

180g records suck, it's a marketing gimmick that people confide in for someone odd reason but in all reality, adds an extra 40g to the record(s) when it doesn't need it.  this is the main reason people open 180g records to find them instantly warped and/or unplayable in some way.

33 minutes ago, ethereal said:

180g records suck, it's a marketing gimmick that people confide in for someone odd reason but in all reality, adds an extra 40g to the record(s) when it doesn't need it.  this is the main reason people open 180g records to find them instantly warped and/or unplayable in some way.

I have never seen a 180g record warped. It's the exact opposite. 

It's quite possible that this was pressed at different places around the world to meet demand so it's again quite possible for there to be batches that are absolutely fine and batches that skip like a double dutch.

If you got both yours from the same shop or from different shops that are getting their stock from the same distributor the chances are both your copies are from the same batch.

There's usually nothing wrong with the AT120 in itself so if it doesn't happen with other records blame the record not the machine.

• 2 weeks later...

All good points, 

Sadly, I cleaned it recently and re-calibrated nearly everything, but it still skips. It got better, the first track doesn't skip at all anymore on the second side, so I may clean it a bit more thoroughly again and see if it helps. Otherwise I am definitely blaming the pressing and it is unfortunately a bit late to return it, but I'll contact the seller and see what they have to say. 

Thanks for all of the help!