Help with Jensen 420 Player

Hi everyone,

I recently got a Jensen JTA-420 player (a little cheap, I know, but it's all right) and I've been having an issue with records that have a lot of bass where they skip excessively. You almost just can't listen to these songs because they're so indistinguishable from all the skipping. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem or a possible solution?

Thank you!

12 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Or moving where your speakers are placed...

Unfortunately it's a Crosleyalike so chances are the OP would need power tools and destructive force to do that.  

16 hours ago, Ehtya said:

Hi everyone,

I recently got a Jensen JTA-420 player (a little cheap, I know, but it's all right) and I've been having an issue with records that have a lot of bass where they skip excessively. You almost just can't listen to these songs because they're so indistinguishable from all the skipping. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem or a possible solution?

Thank you!

Because it's an all in one of cheap construction and design the only real option in the long term is replacement with something of a bit better quality.

That said if it's speaker induced rather than just being down to a very poor turntable and tonearm then that nice Mr Savage could be onto something if this particular Crosleyalike has some form of line out because then the OP could use some powered speakers which I would think would be a big improvement all round, this would only work if the internal speakers could be turned off though.

I suspect though that you've got the odd Crosleyalike that actually has low rather than high tracking force which is causing the skipping and if they are skipping that much I expect the surface of those records will resemble the 10th green at Royal St Georges after I've been at it with the 3 wood post a rather liquid lunch.

1 hour ago, Ehtya said:

Well it sounds like the best (if not only) option is to get a replacement... so any suggestions for something that won't break the bank?

Go 2nd hand, chances are you'll pick up something infinitely better on your local Craigslist or on ebay or in a flea market or at an estate sale or similar.

If you want something all in one then get what used to be called a music centre in the 70's or just get a turntable, amplifier/receiver and a pair of speakers.

Make sure you can hear it work or are able to take it back unless you are paying pennies for it.

The new options really as a minimum are something of the quality of an AudioTechnica AT-120 or above and a pair of powered speakers (or amplifier/receiver and pair of passive speakers if you can afford it)