So i Just moved to Denver.

So i just moved to Denver. Was wondering if there are any native people from the area that might give me some insight or places to visit/eat etc. i'm like 4 blocks away from Wax Trax. that's all i know. Also if anyone is up for hanging out and grabbing a bite or something.

Thanks in advance,

mike

42 minutes ago, controlthebleeding said:

So i just moved to Denver. Was wondering if there are any native people from the area that might give me some insight or places to visit/eat etc. i'm like 4 blocks away from Wax Trax. that's all i know. Also if anyone is up for hanging out and grabbing a bite or something.

Thanks in advance,

mike

city grille has some real good burgers, marquis theater for pizza/cheap shows, 1up for video games/drinks, black & read and twist & shout for other record stores, I used to live in Colorado Springs and enjoyed many visits to Denver, good luck

3 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

city grille has some real good burgers, marquis theater for pizza/cheap shows, 1up for video games/drinks, black & read and twist & shout for other record stores, I used to live in Colorado Springs and enjoyed many visits to Denver, good luck

thanks..  i'm actually right down the street from 1up... haha.. 

8 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

nice, there is also a tap house in your area across from summit music hall/moon room (decent venue) but the name escapes me right now

everything seems so close around here too. don't really have to leave the neighborhood.. gonna go see MINUS THE BEAR at the summit next month. 

welcome to Denver! here's some cool recommendations:

Record stores to shop at (in order of importance):

Twist & Shout: best selection in the state, every week there is new stock

Independent Records: several locations in Colorado Springs area. main store on Platte Avenue is the best, great stock and awesome staff

Chain Reaction Records: mostly punk, metal, hardcore selection along with tons of skateboards

Black & Read: located in Arvada, stock doesn't change often and the staff is boring and doesn't talk to anyone

Wax Trax: awful used selection, owner hoards good records strictly for eBay and record conventions

Record stores to just avoid:

Angelo's (all locations)

SecondSpin (FYE retailer)

Coffee shops:

Huckleberry Roasters: best coffee shop in the state

Novo Coffee

Bardo Coffee House: open super late

Metropolis Coffee

Restaurants:

Illegal Pete's

Jerusalem

Tacos, Tequila, Whiskey (aka Pinche Tacos)

Denver Biscuit Co.

Sunny's

The Universal

Beerz:

TRVE Brewing

Great Divide
Our Mutual Friend

Edited by andysrobbins

I just went to Colorado on vacation in December and hit up some of the record stores Andy mentioned.

-Twist & Shout is essentially the Amoeba of Denver. Massive selection, well lit, friendly staff, enjoyable experience. Great one-stop shop if you're looking for DVDs/books/etc. too (plus there's a really nice bookstore right across the way from it).
-I went to one Independent Records in CO Springs and found a bunch of good shit, too, so that place is recommended as well.

-Wax Trax smells like 50 stray cats peed on the floor right before you walked in (and as Andy said, there is virtually nothing worth looking at in the used section).

On 2/6/2017 at 6:39 PM, NapalmBrain said:

nice, there is also a tap house in your area across from summit music hall/moon room (decent venue) but the name escapes me right now

I'm assuming he's talking about the 1 up on Colfax. But yeah, that tap room across from Summit (also forget the name) is legit.

Also, South Broadway is a good neighborhood to check out. Good dive bars/venues (3 Kings, Hi Dive), restaurants, coffee shops, etc. Personally I prefer that and Colfax over LoDo.

3 hours ago, scottheisel said:

I just went to Colorado on vacation in December and hit up some of the record stores Andy mentioned.

-Twist & Shout is essentially the Amoeba of Denver. Massive selection, well lit, friendly staff, enjoyable experience. Great one-stop shop if you're looking for DVDs/books/etc. too (plus there's a really nice bookstore right across the way from it).
-I went to one Independent Records in CO Springs and found a bunch of good shit, too, so that place is recommended as well.

-Wax Trax smells like 50 stray cats peed on the floor right before you walked in (and as Andy said, there is virtually nothing worth looking at in the used section).

I SPEAK THE TRUTHS!

3 hours ago, Freki said:

I'm assuming he's talking about the 1 up on Colfax. But yeah, that tap room across from Summit (also forget the name) is legit.

Also, South Broadway is a good neighborhood to check out. Good dive bars/venues (3 Kings, Hi Dive), restaurants, coffee shops, etc. Personally I prefer that and Colfax over LoDo.

I believe y'all are referencing Falling Rock Tap House. that place fuckin rules

On 2/7/2017 at 2:34 PM, andysrobbins said:

welcome to Denver! here's some cool recommendations:

Record stores to shop at (in order of importance):

Twist & Shout: best selection in the state, every week there is new stock

Independent Records: several locations in Colorado Springs area. main store on Platte Avenue is the best, great stock and awesome staff

Chain Reaction Records: mostly punk, metal, hardcore selection along with tons of skateboards

Black & Read: located in Arvada, stock doesn't change often and the staff is boring and doesn't talk to anyone

Wax Trax: awful used selection, owner hoards good records strictly for eBay and record conventions

Record stores to just avoid:

Angelo's (all locations)

SecondSpin (FYE retailer)

Coffee shops:

Huckleberry Roasters: best coffee shop in the state

Novo Coffee

Bardo Coffee House: open super late

Metropolis Coffee

Restaurants:

Illegal Pete's

Jerusalem

Tacos, Tequila, Whiskey (aka Pinche Tacos)

Denver Biscuit Co.

Sunny's

The Universal

Beerz:

TRVE Brewing

Great Divide
Our Mutual Friend

Wax trax does have a terrible selection and the good shit goes to the denver record expo where its overpriced and they wont negotiate even after I see the same Bad Brains record sit for 3 consecutive conventions. I used to work for Independent on platte actually. I'll also add Scruffy Murphys to the dive list, also has punk shows sometimes.

54 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

Wax trax does have a terrible selection and the good shit goes to the denver record expo where its overpriced and they wont negotiate even after I see the same Bad Brains record sit for 3 consecutive conventions. I used to work for Independent on platte actually. I'll also add Scruffy Murphys to the dive list, also has punk shows sometimes.

oddly enough, I did find a really cool used Martyrdöd record at Wax Trax last night. oooooops.

1 minute ago, andysrobbins said:

oddly enough, I did find a really cool used Martyrdöd record at Wax Trax last night. oooooops.

I did get a stack of good new records, like nomeansno "wrong" and some OOP Stereolab and Neko Case records. But used selection has been the pits in my experience

• 6 months later...

I know this is a old thread, but I'm finally getting around to writing back. Got 3 jobs and have been saving like a madman. 

I've been to Wax Trax and yeah, everything is new, and the used section is basically null. but i do find new stuff from time to time.  Twist and Shout is pretty cool as well. Angelo's was awful. Still have yet to go to Chain Reaction. 

So far, i've been here almost 8 months, and i have yet to go to more than two record stores and a few bars. Since i work so much i have very little time off and what time i do have, no one is ever available to hang out. Sucks but it is what it is. Hell i barely see my roommate but maybe an hour a week. 

All i can say is Wyman's #5 is pretty legit pizza, Denver Teds is cool too. Stilly trying to find decent tacos. 

So if any denver people are up for hanging out, and maybe grabbing a bite or record shopping, i'm down. i don't drive so i barely get out of capital hill area.  I'll even pay for lunch or a beer. Usually i just drink at work since there's a bar there and i rarely ever pay for drinks. 

On 8/20/2017 at 10:08 PM, controlthebleeding said:

I know this is a old thread, but I'm finally getting around to writing back. Got 3 jobs and have been saving like a madman. 

I've been to Wax Trax and yeah, everything is new, and the used section is basically null. but i do find new stuff from time to time.  Twist and Shout is pretty cool as well. Angelo's was awful. Still have yet to go to Chain Reaction. 

So far, i've been here almost 8 months, and i have yet to go to more than two record stores and a few bars. Since i work so much i have very little time off and what time i do have, no one is ever available to hang out. Sucks but it is what it is. Hell i barely see my roommate but maybe an hour a week. 

All i can say is Wyman's #5 is pretty legit pizza, Denver Teds is cool too. Stilly trying to find decent tacos. 

So if any denver people are up for hanging out, and maybe grabbing a bite or record shopping, i'm down. i don't drive so i barely get out of capital hill area.  I'll even pay for lunch or a beer. Usually i just drink at work since there's a bar there and i rarely ever pay for drinks. 

how many copies of the jealous sound did you find?

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2017 at 6:50 PM, controlthebleeding said:

Thanks in advance,

mike

Check out the band Spells.

• 5 years later...

Necro bump and jumping on another thread (some great recs here), but I've landed a real fluke thing; I'm screening an animation wot I done at Burning Man festival this year and I'm flying into Denver first before road tripping over to it.

I'm there for 4/5 days with car/bicycle access: what should I go see and do? Touristy stuff is good with me but there's a lot to do there and I doubt I'll ever be able to afford to come back again, so what would be vital must-see things?

❤️ Thanks all ❤️

Edited by whoa