Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 2/7/2017 at 1:54 AM, beags said:

I know im in the minority here but i absolutely loved Hard Candy and have no idea why it still hasn't had an official pressing. They've pressed a live version of August and that stupid Underwater Sunshine bs but still no Hard Candy....

 

Because Hard Candy was still released through DGC/Geffen/Interscope, while the newer (crappier) albums are the Crows doing it themselves. It's much easier to release vinyl when you're doing self-releases, rather than trying to work out the rights with a giant corporation.
Hopefully sales of these two go well so they press TDL (which I really need) and Hard Candy (which I don't, but it's still far better than anything they've done since).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since mastering details are still scarce, some FYI on other pressings:

--The Analogue Productions 2X45RPM press of AEAA sounds amazing... Blows away the OP. Pretty sure it was all-analog-mastered too. If you really like this album, $50 is worth it.

--Unless something happened recently, Adam confirmed the master tapes for RTS have been lost. So this new pressing can't be AAA like the OP. I'm not saying pay $150 for the OP, but I suspect prices will drop now... and again, if you love that album, it might be worth the extra $$. I actually bought this new back in the day and can confirm the SQ is fantastic and the packaging is stellar too. Seems like they actually sequenced the album with vinyl in mind, which was unheard of back in 1996.

 

If you're more of a casual fan or on a budget, these new pressings should be OK. They just won't be the best ones out there. Mastering from hi-res digital can sound great if done properly... or it can sound like the new reissues of the Black Crowes or the first three Pearl Jam records. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, filthyrich said:

Since mastering details are still scarce, some FYI on other pressings:

--The Analogue Productions 2X45RPM press of AEAA sounds amazing... Blows away the OP. Pretty sure it was all-analog-mastered too. If you really like this album, $50 is worth it.

--Unless something happened recently, Adam confirmed the master tapes for RTS have been lost. So this new pressing can't be AAA like the OP. I'm not saying pay $150 for the OP, but I suspect prices will drop now... and again, if you love that album, it might be worth the extra $$. I actually bought this new back in the day and can confirm the SQ is fantastic and the packaging is stellar too. Seems like they actually sequenced the album with vinyl in mind, which was unheard of back in 1996.

 

If you're more of a casual fan or on a budget, these new pressings should be OK. They just won't be the best ones out there. Mastering from hi-res digital can sound great if done properly... or it can sound like the new reissues of the Black Crowes or the first three Pearl Jam records. 

The sq and packaging is fantastic

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rooks said:

Decided to pull the trigger. Been listening to these nonstop since this thread started.

 

Still think TDL deserves a 10 million copy pressing.

I really struggle with TDL... Think the other 3 (earlier releases) are far stronger. In saying that I don't hate Saturday Nights/Sunday Mornings either. Recovering is certainly my favourite though. Probably my favourite sophomore effort of any band ever (sorry Room on Fire). 

Edited by beags

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's silly because TDL is their best record :P.

 

Differing opinions are chill,but, TDL is their peak, in my opinion. The 2 before it are great too. Hard Candy they started sliding down the cliff they ended up falling off of and they never climbed back up. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rooks said:

That's silly because TDL is their best record :P.

 

Differing opinions are chill,but, TDL is their peak, in my opinion. The 2 before it are great too. Hard Candy they started sliding down the cliff they ended up falling off of and they never climbed back up. :(

Speedway is close to my favourite CC song, but outside of that, i just find the album a bit boring... Whereas i don't think there's a single song on Hard Candy i dont like. You're right though. Subjectivity ftw and all that ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any news on what the source will be for the RTS reissue? I was lucky enough to snag an OP and I have to say it sounds amazing. It's one of those albums I know by heart, but I heard so many subtle musical nuances that I missed on the CD. If they somehow managed to find the master tapes, and if the reissue is cut from those, I wouldn't mind picking this up just to have another copy. Far and away my favourite CC album. By the time TDL came out I was a rabid fan, and while I liked that album a lot and I saw them on that tour, it's got nothing on those first two albums. Hanginaround just annoys the hell out of me. 

 

Would really LOVE to see a vinyl issue of Across a Wire. Fantastic collection of a band at their peak right there and would love to hear Chelsea on vinyl.

Edited by mogambotek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't wait to pick August up Friday. Been eying those 50-60$ pressings but the wallet says no. If anyone wants a better price, Barnes & Noble usually releases email coupons on Thursdays when there's a big new-release lineup Friday. Usually good for at least 15-20% off. Just don't go to my local BN cuz they only ordered 1...

 

Edit: Was the date pushed back on these? It's been saying 3/17 for ages but now a few sites have 3/24 instead. I can wait another week but that's about it:(

Edited by ok_computer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, ok_computer said:

Edit: Was the date pushed back on these? It's been saying 3/17 for ages but now a few sites have 3/24 instead. I can wait another week but that's about it:(

Yeah, CCMusic is showing a release date of the 24th for AAEA and the 17th for RTS.  To my benefit though, they shipped both of them to me so some places have these in hand already.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BrainGilliams said:

Yeah, CCMusic is showing a release date of the 24th for AAEA and the 17th for RTS.  To my benefit though, they shipped both of them to me so some places have these in hand already.   

I think my BN has them in. I wonder if they'll be told to hold them for the 24th, wish I would've preordered one now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just received AAEA.

Pressing looks decent to the naked eye.  Some dimpling and inconsistencies in the vinyl, nothing major.  Seems flat, probably 180 to 200 grams in weight. Lots of paper scuffs from the cheap paper sleeves they used, which is disappointing.  For the price, you would think they would at least include polylined inner sleeves. Especially since it is pressed at 45rpm, so they must have been focussing on sound quality with this release. Anyways, cannot spin it until later.  Also, need to clean it up first to get all the paper dust off. 

 

No DL code, no inserts, just two LPs in a gatefold. Really pretty basic packaging overall.

 

Anyone know what plates were used to press this? The Analogue Production Plates? That is the only other 2 LP set pressed at 45rpm. Or did they make new plates?

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zdkaiser said:

No DL code, no inserts, just two LPs in a gatefold. Really pretty basic packaging overall.

I only ordered AAEA since I have RTS but I expected this! It seems most of the major labels pushing out 90's/00's album reissues are doing so to make as much $ as they can, while providing the bare minimum. With the exception of DMB Crash, I can't think of anything off the top of my head that's  wow'd me in awhile.

Obviously I don't buy every release so I'm sure there's great stuff out there, but just going off memory, Wallflowers, Ben Folds, and Squirrel Nut Zippers were pretty plain.

 

I complain but will still give my money for certain releases JUST to have them on vinyl...at least they're doing gatefolds and not those god awful double album in one thin sleeve deals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for Vinyl Collective. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×