Best Player for <$300

Hi All,

So I recently made a post about how I'm getting into vinyl and how my current player (only like $50) can't deal with bass in songs, so a lot of albums I listen to (mostly modern pop) skip excessively and sound horrible. That in mind, I'm looking to upgrade, but want to find a system for <$300 if possible. I've been looking at these two models:

TEAC TN-300: http://yourvintagevinyl.com/reviews/review-teac-tn-300/

Fluance RT81: http://yourvintagevinyl.com/fluance-rt81-high-fidelity/

Which both look ideal in that they'll handle a lot better, but do you have any other ideas, or thoughts on which of those is best?  The Fluance has auto-stop which is kind of nice, but it looks a bit worse, has no USB outlet, and is slightly more expensive. Neither of them have AUX which is a shame, as I'd have to buy new speakers.

Long story short, I want something that's worth the price, I don't mind paying a bit more (hence why I'm going from $50 to $300...) if it's going to last, it's going to actually play EVERYTHING (unlike my crappy Jensen-420, which just skips though and sounds horrible on bass-ey albums like Justin Timberlake, Daft Punk, etc.), will look good, and is worth the price.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

P.S. If you have cheap speaker suggestions... that'd be great too! I was eyeing these: https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1280T-Powered-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B016P9HJIA/ref=pd_bxgy_107_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B016P9HJIA&pd_rd_r=TA3GH1R3GCX60SK4AMJ4&pd_rd_w=MZvU7&pd_rd_wg=gq8ZP&psc=1&refRID=TA3GH1R3GCX60SK4AMJ4 

Edited by Ehtya

17 hours ago, Freki said:

Just get a Uturn and then buy a used amp and speakers.

Yep pretty much that.

I've heard the Teac and hated it for the money, it was flat and lifeless which is a real pity for such a nice looking table and I understand the issue is that the arm is just rubbish so not an easy fix. I haven't heard the Fluance so this is just an educated guess but I expect it's better than the Teac and not as good as the U Turn

Bottom line is you need to go to a hifi shop and listen to some of this stuff and form your own opinions but don't be suckered into buying something there and then unless it really jumps out at you as being the one, ideally you want to mull it over before hand over all your hard earned cash, oh  and make sure you get them to play music you like not something they suggest that makes the table sound good with that particular record.

I took a shot at getting the Fluance RT-81 for only $250. I am pretty happy with it. Can't compare it to a u-turn because I've never actually used one.

I turned my auto-stop off because it didn't work for most records anyway which was something they had mentioned anyway.
 it's okay, forces me to get off my ass and change the record . Sure , auto return would be nice but I'll survive.

Some records I had a hard time fitting down all the way on the spindle and even harder time getting them off the platter but it's not too terribly nerve racking. Just requires a little patience and attention and it hasn't happened for weeks. I did have some issues in the first 4-6 hours of use. I was playing fleetwood mac - alternate tusk and it started slowing down toward the end about 5-10 rpms. It scared the hell out of me. Tried another record, same thing. Played a few 45's to see if the speed change would fix it. After awhile it stabilized out, and never had any other issues. I believe I've already bent my stylus though trying to balance the tone arm. I follow their instructions and it doesn't seem to match up but I have got it balanced with my own process and it plays fine. Hardly any skipping issues from walking around the room either which is an issue I had before. I don't think I'll be returning it. I will say it was packaged exceptionally well.

I considered all the other brands in that price range too and was very tempted to just get a pro ject and be satisfied but I wanted something with weight to it and I like to just try new or different products. I feel like I am doing less damage/wear to my records with this one than my previous (kenwood kd-492f) and am enjoying all my records more than before so I'm satisfied with it for $250 (really only 150 after a gift card). Some reviews for this place it up with the $600+ turntables but I wouldn't praise it that high..but I think it's a safe turntable and that's probably important too.  I'm sure I'll get another one in my 30's, and 40's and so on anyway. 

I am the market myself for a receiver though in a slightly higher price range to replace my old Yamaha if anyone has any suggestions. Currently considering something integrated but am also interested in getting a pre-amp instead of a receiver. 

anyway,sorry for the rant. Just haven't seen anyone else post about that turntable and am also curious to what others think of it.

I recommend not skimping that low on the speakers though. maybe just give Fluance a real chance* and see what their main speaker products are like? 

*certainly not being paid by Fluance to advertise on the boards. certainly not. 

9 hours ago, danoise said:

Just haven't seen anyone else post about that turntable and am also curious to what others think of it.

My cousin has this turntable and it is truly a piece of shit. I can't believe you recommend it, even after you state the auto return does not work, and the speed was off right out of the box.

My cousin's spins about 3 RPMs too fast, both at 33 and 45. His auto return also doesn't work. I can hear a change in pitch as well when he plays vinyl. The headshell emits a hum/buzz that changes when you touch it. 

The DP-300F is head and shoulders above the Fluance. 

Edited by vinyl addict

7 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

My cousin has this turntable and it is truly a piece of shit. I can't believe you recommend it, even after you state the auto return does the work, and the speed was off right out of the box.

My cousin's spins about 3 RPMs too fast, both at 33 and 45. His auto return also doesn't work. I can hear a change in pitch as well when he plays vinyl. The headshell emits a hum/buzz that changes when you touch it. 

The DP-300F is head and shoulders above the Fluance. 

well ...Believe it. I didn't say the speed was wrong right out of the box. There was some fluctuation, briefly. I believe it could be because the hole in that particular record was too small, and also I was using a Big Ben record weight which I returned because it didn't seem to be doing much to help. also, I'm totally okay without auto-return..doesn't seem like a feature that is a must have for me.  There were probably much worse choices I could have made and it's probably not the best for the price like OP was looking for but still he may want to consider it. Thanks for the input though. Like i said, haven't spoke to anyone else who have used these. 

I don't get any hum or buzz when touching or moving my headshell at all, your cousin should look into getting his returned. From the reviews, some people did have to return theirs and get replacements that worked well after that. I'm considering returning mine since the tone arm won't balance like they said it will.

I'll check into the DP-300F though . Thanks for the tip, I may look into upgrading again in a few months anyway because I'm just trying to learn more about the differences between players.  Any receiver or pre-amp suggestions?

Edited by danoise

1 hour ago, vinyl addict said:

What's your budget? Where are you located?

Indiana. Currently, I'd probably spend $500 on a receiver at the very most if it was something pretty solid. I use a tape deck and cd player too so I need something with multiple outputs. I don't really know anything about tube pre amps though or if I should go that route. What I have works okay, it's just a basic yamaha receiver though and sounds bland without my EQ.

What about a used preamp/amp, and a new Lounge phono preamp? I went through a few preamps, and the Lounge is an amazing piece. For the $300 it sounds as good as some in the $1000 class. Then scour your CL for a used preamp or receiver.

How about this Carver? Very durable, great sound, and even has a gain control. So you could hook up a phono pre to it and run it for just the turntable, and use your current receiver for everything else.

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele/5979520451.html

This NAD wouldn't be a bad choice either.

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele/5961099446.html