PO: Agents of Oblivion - S/T

• 11 months later...

1 hour ago, thesecrets0308 said:

i was just made aware of this while looking around in discogs.  some of the more obscure stuff that i really like sometimes eludes me when it either gets a first pressing or a repress.  this album is fantastic, i was able to order one from amazon for $23.

Did you end up getting the opaque 180g green or the standard weight transparent green?

2 minutes ago, MicLima said:

Did you end up getting the opaque 180g green or the standard weight transparent green?

Not sure which one it will be as it's coming from Amazon.  I have a sneaking suspicion it will be the opaque green.  the opaque seemed to be more readily available and sold by US sellers on discogs.  That being said, whatever it is, i'm praying that there's less surface noise than both of my rotten records Acid Bath albums.  Definitely not the highest quality pressings, those Acid Bath records.

18 minutes ago, thesecrets0308 said:

Not sure which one it will be as it's coming from Amazon.  I have a sneaking suspicion it will be the opaque green.  the opaque seemed to be more readily available and sold by US sellers on discogs.  That being said, whatever it is, i'm praying that there's less surface noise than both of my rotten records Acid Bath albums.  Definitely not the highest quality pressings, those Acid Bath records.

Hmm, yeah I was just wondering because the $23 is more the price point for the translucent green.  Interested to know which one it ends up being.  I myself am searching for a decent pressing of WTKSP, evidently it's hit or miss.  You wouldn't happen to know of a good pressing would you?  I can't find info on which is the best for that or PTT.

I didn't realize there were two different versions of this.... I preordered immediately, and with the ridiculous pressing delays, I hope I got the 180g. Have to check when I get home.

31 minutes ago, thesecrets0308 said:

That being said, whatever it is, i'm praying that there's less surface noise than both of my rotten records Acid Bath albums.

Happy to report my copy has very little surface noise at all. The LPs, however, are quite off-center and one person on Discogs said it's bad enough it causes his audio to flutter. Mine aren't that bad, but the tone arm gets a workout for sure.

Ok, I had to get myself sorted out with this.  I really haven't listened to either of my Acid Bath records in some time or been keeping up with any reissues.  Here's the deal;  I've got the 2013 white vinyl release of WTKSP and it sounds great.  (actually spinning as I write this)  For PTT, I've got the 2010 reissue on black, and that is the one that sounds fucking terrible.  I guess I made my pressing of WTKSP guilty by association with Acid Bath in my vinyl collection just because I remember how disappointed I was when I got PTT and it sounded like shit.  Doing some research on discogs, it seems there have been a couple of reissues of PTT since the 2010 variants.  The 2014 pressing on clear vinyl from what I'm reading is just as bad as the 2010 pressings.  But the most recent reissue in 2015 on 180g black has at least one claim that the pressing sounds great vs. its predecessors.  Now I'm considering snagging a 2015 copy of PTT and ditching my shitty 2010 pressing.  So to answer the question about good sounding presses, for WTKSP it seems that at the very least the white vinyl and another variant that is opaque orange would be a safe bet for you to try and pick up somewhere at a reasonable price.  For PTT, definitely look for the most recent 180g black variant.

Regarding AOO, I hope you're right about the likelihood that I'll get one of the translucent green copies, my personal experience is that translucent variants tend to have a higher success rate at being good sounding vs. opaque colors (aside from standard black).  That may just be my own luck of the draw though.

Edited by thesecrets0308
clarification

Thanks for the Acid Bath overview; been meaning to pick those up but hesitated exactly for the reasons you said.

And I should reiterate that my copy of Agents sounds really good. I did an A/B test with my original CD, and even though I'm sure they're mastered from the same source, the top end was a little less harsh on the heavier songs for sure (in a good way; some of those heavier songs straddled the line between cool wall of sound and brickwalled).

Edited by swazzyswess

No problem at all.  I just put in an order for the 2015 pressing of PTT from a seller on discogs, I'll post back with the sound quality once I give it a spin.

I'm super excited to get that AOO album, it's also been some time since I've listened to my cd copy.  I was tempted to listen earlier but I'd rather wait for the vinyl.  I think Phantom Green was always my favorite track on that album, such a good tune.

Since I've found a couple of folks on here who is familiar with Dax, do you have any of his solo albums on vinyl?  Or the Deadboy and the Elephantmen album?  I'm mostly interested in We Sing Of Only Blood.  I have that cd and it's pretty great, wouldn't mind having that in my vinyl collection but I'd want it to be a good sounding press.  Deadboy I always was kinda "meh" about.

12 minutes ago, swazzyswess said:

Thanks for the Acid Bath overview; been meaning to pick those up but hesitated exactly for the reasons you said.

And I should reiterate that my copy of Agents sounds really good. I did an A/B test with my original CD, and even though I'm sure they're mastered from the same source, the top end was a little less harsh on the heavier songs for sure (in a good way; some of those heavier songs straddled the line between cool wall of sound and brickwalled).

1 hour ago, thesecrets0308 said:

Since I've found a couple of folks on here who is familiar with Dax, do you have any of his solo albums on vinyl?  Or the Deadboy and the Elephantmen album?  I'm mostly interested in We Sing Of Only Blood.  I have that cd and it's pretty great, wouldn't mind having that in my vinyl collection but I'd want it to be a good sounding press.  Deadboy I always was kinda "meh" about.

I only have Agents and Deadboy.... but thanks to this post, I checked discogs and see that Blood or Love was repressed a few months ago and is available on his site?! :o I'm just gonna take the plunge. I'll let you know how it sounds.

But yeah, Deadboy is probably my least favorite Dax album. I'm happy to have it on viny though, and it's grown on me over the years. Maybe with Dax releasing stuff on his site we'll finally get Say Goodnight to the World and If This Is Hell... on vinyl?

And since I'm checking in on all things Dax, I just found this on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Daxriggs/comments/7ajjbq/after_ordering_agents_of_oblivion_on_vinyl_i_took/  holy shit I hope this is true!

Edited by swazzyswess

10 hours ago, swazzyswess said:

I only have Agents and Deadboy.... but thanks to this post, I checked discogs and see that Blood or Love was repressed a few months ago and is available on his site?! :o I'm just gonna take the plunge. I'll let you know how it sounds.

But yeah, Deadboy is probably my least favorite Dax album. I'm happy to have it on viny though, and it's grown on me over the years. Maybe with Dax releasing stuff on his site we'll finally get Say Goodnight to the World and If This Is Hell... on vinyl?

And since I'm checking in on all things Dax, I just found this on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Daxriggs/comments/7ajjbq/after_ordering_agents_of_oblivion_on_vinyl_i_took/  holy shit I hope this is true!

Yeah I noticed that repress of WSOOBOL, didn't go and look to see it was on his official site store though.  I went ahead and snagged a copy of that too.  Noticed Agents was available at his store too, the clear green variant, so maybe that will indeed be the variant i get from Amazon.  If the other 2 solo albums get pressed, I'll be a buyer for sure.  That's pretty sweet news that he's going on tour and probably going to cut another album as well!  I'll have to keep checking up on that.

I listened to a bit of PTT on my way to work this morning, a lossless digital copy sourced from my cd.  i notice that album's overall recorded volume level is quite a bit on the low side.  Have to boost my player volume up to about 50 to get to the same level as most of my music that i generally have my player level at about 30-35 for.  I wonder if that has anything at all to do with the label struggling to put out a good vinyl pressing of the album.  For the 10-15 seconds i played my vinyl copy of it last night i was reminded that it's not actually the noise floor of the record that's bad, the vinyl itself is actually just as quiet as WTKSP.  What's really bad is the actual music.  Distorted as balls, almost as if the volume of that original mix/master was boosted out of necessity to get it onto vinyl and the result is just a turd.  I don't have much of a clue on how any of that stuff works.

2 hours ago, thesecrets0308 said:

My copy of Agents showed up today.  It's the opaque green variant.  I'll spin it tomorrow and report back on sound quality.

Cool, look forward to hearing your thoughts! If it's not off-centered like mine, I might grab one too. And I just want to support Dax as much as possible. Bumping this thread sent me on a big Dax kick, he's all I've been listening to for the last few days, lol

You know, you might be right about the volume of the PTT master recording causing issues. I distinctly remember that my CD was always quieter than whatever else I had just listened to. I wouldn't be surprised if Rotten didn't put a lot of thought and care into those pressings, but yeah, maybe there were other issues too.

Edited by swazzyswess

Gave Agents a spin last night.  Was very happy with how it sounded.  The vinyl itself was not off-center at all (maybe you and the other got some bad apples?).  It was just as good of quality as my copy of WTKSP.  I was expecting the opaque green to be solid color but it was more of green marble color.