PO Now: Songs:Ohia - "Live at WOCB Oct. 12, 1994" (bundle w/ book)

sc357xbnd01-380.jpg

SONGS: OHIA

LIVE AT WOBC OCT. 12, 1994

RELEASE DATE: 2017-05-19
CATALOG NO: SC357
LABEL: SECRETLY CANADIAN

‘Riding With the Ghost’ will be published as a 236-page hardback edition by Rowman & Littlefield in May 2017. Bundle orders will be shipped shortly after we receive books from the publisher. This limited edition LP is being made available only for those who pre-order this bundle now.

Erin Osmon’s (Chicago Sun-Times, Chicago Tribune, Pitchfork Review) upcoming family-authorized Jason Molina biography, 'Riding with the Ghost', is an in-depth look at one of the most important songwriters of the last 20 years. It features interviews with every important figure in the Molina story. We are so excited by this incredible book that we dug through the expansive Molina archives to unearth the very first radio session Songs: Ohia ever performed. Recorded at Oberlin College’s WOBC in the fall of 1994 by Tom Colley, this recording features an interview with Molina along with him performing early versions of songs that would eventually be re-recorded formally for release & many songs that are officially being made available now for the first time ever. This limited edition LP is being made available only for those who pre-order this bundle now.

https://www.secretlystore.com/live-at-wobc-songs-ohia

SC's shipping does tend on the high side, but I imagine one reason might be that these could come in separate packages--the Didn't It Rain reissue came in a regular LP mailer and then a poster tube came shipped separately. Still, shipping was nowhere near that high.

No word on the tracklist yet, but the oldest show on Archive.org includes the following (just to maybe give a sense of what Jason was playing back then):

01. hayfoot [end only] (2:22) 
02. nay 'tis not death (3:41) 
03. boys (2:39) 
04. are you mine* (1:26) 
05. freedom pt. 2 (3:25) 
06. our flesh in dust (3:54) 

https://archive.org/details/songsohia1995-07-24.aud.flac16/songsohia1995-07-24t01.flac

Super excited for this! For those on the fence, the pre-order price that I've seen for the book alone is $35, after shipping this bundle comes out to just over $50 after tax/shipping to the US so I think it's pretty good deal for both.   I wonder if there are other archival releases like this in the works...let's hope so! 

so I wrote Secretly Canadian and got an immediate response. They refunded me $7 for shipping. I also asked about the tracklist or pressing info and got this response:

"I actually don't know the track list at all - this has all come together really quickly. I also think we're still debating quantities as well. Sorry for all the murkiness."

15 hours ago, jrodan said:

you've never paid $25 for a book or $25 for a record before?

I didn't think about that until right after I posted that comment, so apologies. I felt like an idiot saying that. I think that has been a pretty usual thing for me for a while which is why I typically refrain from posting these days. The price isn't too bad when looking at it that way... I imagine I will probably pick it up soon.

Edited by Bronchitis

• 1 month later...

I only just noticed this one last week. I actually emailed them to see if I could pick it up from them, I'm 1/2 hour from Bloomington. But I never heard back. They must not have liked that question! Amazon has the book for $35 so $40 for the bundle did seem like a good deal before the shipping. $9+ for shipping it 30 miles to me is lame... I also inquired at my local store, maybe they have a good hookup with Secretly, and was told nope. Strictly available from their site. I'm going to order soon before it's too late anyway despite the shipping before it's too late... 

Shipping charges aside, I get more excited for this by the day--both the book and the LP. You can view the index for the book on Amazon preview, and I'm pleasantly surprised that Rhode Island seems to get a bunch of mentions: https://www.amazon.com/Jason-Molina-Riding-Erin-Osmon/dp/1442268670/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1491241559&sr=1-1&keywords=jason+molina

Shipping charges aside, I get more excited for this by the day--both the book and the LP. You can view the index for the book on Amazon preview, and I'm pleasantly surprised that Rhode Island seems to get a bunch of mentions: https://www.amazon.com/Jason-Molina-Riding-Erin-Osmon/dp/1442268670/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1491241559&sr=1-1&keywords=jason+molina