Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I was able to cancel my BSM order last night before it got sent out, but I have the tapes sitting back home in the States from Polyvinyl which I'm gonna want nothing to do with now. They were also one of my favorite up-and-coming acts and everything about this is awful. :( With all the shit that's gone down over the last 24 hours I think it's pretty safe to say they're done for, and rightly so.

Edited by openupyourskull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, whoa said:

So there's this horrific account here: http://jezebel.com/member-of-queer-punk-band-pwr-bttm-accused-of-sexual-as-1795132781

In any case, they - any victim - should probably seek out help (legal or otherwise) in the light of things as it'll solidify truth instead of floating as rumours.

 

Welp. This is pretty fucking disheartening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no horse in this race...I'm not over the top about this band. BUT. I've been keeping this in for a while now and just recently shared it with someone from VC.

 

When I went to see Pity Sex and Petal down here last year...I think it was last year...PWR BTTM were one of the openers. I was right up front the whole night b/c I'm really into PS and Petal. So. When PWR BTTM were playing, their entire set during their between-song banter, they were of course praising Queer Culture/Lifestyle (apologies if that's not the proper terminology but for this post to me, also includes gay, trans, etc.), which I am was glad to hear and see and cheered on. But on an odd flipside, they were also bashing on anyone non-queer/gay/trans/etc. and borderline inciting violence against them. But in their I'd guess "joking manner". I honestly felt uncomfortable during their entire set as more than on one occasion during it, I was being squinted at by the band. I know I'm not that hard to blend in being a burly (slight overweight) and bearded dude. Sure, they had no way on knowing I'm a hetero male, but shit, I felt like I had a target on my back for some reason. Felt like guilty for being hetero.

 

This doesn't anything whatsoever to what's been developing with the band currently and the allegations. But damnit...needed to share and just get it  off my chest. Hell...even my friend who I was with that night, who stood towards the back of the crowd, saw all of this going on and she thought (as she told me) that I was going to get my ass kicked that night just for being a dude.

 

The wrong dude and the wrong show as she put it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is all fucked. I collect promo CDs and Johnnygoggles, one of my favorite retailers of such, put up the "Answer My Text" promo this morning, which I would have grabbed instantly because I dug that track. What a mess this whole situation is. Disgusted for those who trusted PWR BTTM. Disappointed that they weren't who they seemed. And angry for the victims who were preyed upon in a vulnerable situation.

What a shame. Hope there is justice in all of this and I'm proud of those who have been able to speak out.:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, jhulud said:

I have no horse in this race...I'm not over the top about this band. BUT. I've been keeping this in for a while now and just recently shared it with someone from VC.

 

When I went to see Pity Sex and Petal down here last year...I think it was last year...PWR BTTM were one of the openers. I was right up front the whole night b/c I'm really into PS and Petal. So. When PWR BTTM were playing, their entire set during their between-song banter, they were of course praising Queer Culture/Lifestyle (apologies if that's not the proper terminology but for this post to me, also includes gay, trans, etc.), which I am was glad to hear and see and cheered on. But on an odd flipside, they were also bashing on anyone non-queer/gay/trans/etc. and borderline inciting violence against them. But in their I'd guess "joking manner". I honestly felt uncomfortable during their entire set as more than on one occasion during it, I was being squinted at by the band. I know I'm not that hard to blend in being a burly (slight overweight) and bearded dude. Sure, they had no way on knowing I'm a hetero male, but shit, I felt like I had a target on my back for some reason. Felt like guilty for being hetero.

 

This doesn't anything whatsoever to what's been developing with the band currently and the allegations. But damnit...needed to share and just get it  off my chest. Hell...even my friend who I was with that night, who stood towards the back of the crowd, saw all of this going on and she thought (as she told me) that I was going to get my ass kicked that night just for being a dude.

 

The wrong dude and the wrong show as she put it.

 

 

100% felt the same way at this show during our date in LA. I've mentioned it a few times before and got bashed for being "anti LGBT" 

im really glad I'm not alone on this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sigh, not very surprised by this, not a fan of this band, but it seems like these super self righteous people are always overcompensating for something. I also wish bands would stop using LGBTQ culture/rights/awareness or whatever you want to call it as a gimmick/selling point, especially when it is insincere. Karma is a bitch. I was gonna go to this tour just to see the opening band Ratboys but they dropped off which I'm glad they did, I just hope all the opening bands start their own tour and don't get completely screwed by this. And thats my two cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jhulud said:

I have no horse in this race...I'm not over the top about this band. BUT. I've been keeping this in for a while now and just recently shared it with someone from VC.

 

When I went to see Pity Sex and Petal down here last year...I think it was last year...PWR BTTM were one of the openers. I was right up front the whole night b/c I'm really into PS and Petal. So. When PWR BTTM were playing, their entire set during their between-song banter, they were of course praising Queer Culture/Lifestyle (apologies if that's not the proper terminology but for this post to me, also includes gay, trans, etc.), which I am was glad to hear and see and cheered on. But on an odd flipside, they were also bashing on anyone non-queer/gay/trans/etc. and borderline inciting violence against them. But in their I'd guess "joking manner". I honestly felt uncomfortable during their entire set as more than on one occasion during it, I was being squinted at by the band. I know I'm not that hard to blend in being a burly (slight overweight) and bearded dude. Sure, they had no way on knowing I'm a hetero male, but shit, I felt like I had a target on my back for some reason. Felt like guilty for being hetero.

 

This doesn't anything whatsoever to what's been developing with the band currently and the allegations. But damnit...needed to share and just get it  off my chest. Hell...even my friend who I was with that night, who stood towards the back of the crowd, saw all of this going on and she thought (as she told me) that I was going to get my ass kicked that night just for being a dude.

 

The wrong dude and the wrong show as she put it.

 

 

These guys are shit, but that's pretty much how LGBT people feel most of the time. If it makes you uncomfortable for an hour or two imagine it being permanent. Again this band is vile I just had to get my 2cents in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Codyoster said:

 I also wish bands would stop using LGBTQ culture/rights/awareness or whatever you want to call it as a gimmick/selling point

Totally agree. I'm sure a lot of people really like the music, but when I listened to this I was thinking about how many people probably care more about the style than the substance of the band. I'm totally pro-LGBT but if your music sucks you aren't gonna make me wanna buy your record, y'know? 

 

(And furthermore being a rapist makes me want to buy your record even less than if your music sucks).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know anything about this band, I've seen the name around last year on "bands to watch" lists but never got around to checking them out. I totally get not wanting to support them in any form. But if you already own the album and actually enjoyed the music, will you actually throw out the album and/or never play it again?

 

Where does the line between being a shitty person and art get drawn? are exceptions only made for old established bands? we all know that Lennon was abusive, Clapton was a racist, and countless classic rock guys fucked 13 year olds but they've all been given a pass musically. In a year or so (really, give it 3-4 months) when this settles down and everyone forgets, is the music that was produced prior to the allegations that tainted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 16Shells said:

Where does the line between being a shitty person and art get drawn? are exceptions only made for old established bands? we all know that Lennon was abusive, Clapton was a racist, and countless classic rock guys fucked 13 year olds but they've all been given a pass musically. In a year or so (really, give it 3-4 months) when this settles down and everyone forgets, is the music that was produced prior to the allegations that tainted?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 16Shells said:

Where does the line between being a shitty person and art get drawn? are exceptions only made for old established bands? we all know that Lennon was abusive, Clapton was a racist, and countless classic rock guys fucked 13 year olds but they've all been given a pass musically. In a year or so (really, give it 3-4 months) when this settles down and everyone forgets, is the music that was produced prior to the allegations that tainted?

If I liked this record I would try to get it used or in a way that limits the amount of money the band gets from me I guess. I won't pretend I'm innocent as far as liking music from bad people go. I mean, I love Burzum but that guy's fucking insane. So, no, the music isn't really tainted and I don't feel bad listening to it, but I may have another lens to look through when I analyze the lyrics (The Beatles come to mind in this sense for sure).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sunshine said:

These guys are shit, but that's pretty much how LGBT people feel most of the time. If it makes you uncomfortable for an hour or two imagine it being permanent. Again this band is vile I just had to get my 2cents in.

It's kinda like Bikini Kill's "Girls to the front" in most cases. If a LGBTQ band was like "cishets to the back" I'd move back. I get the need for a band to make that kind of statement.

 

But yeah, I've never actually listened to this band. This situation is pretty fucked though. I hope everyone gets their money back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Polyvinyl official statement:

"Throughout our 20 years, Polyvinyl has purposefully operated on the core principle that everyone deserves to be treated with fairness and respect. There is absolutely no place in the world for hate, violence, abuse, discrimination or predatory behavior of any kind.

In keeping with this philosophy, we want to let everyone know that we are ceasing to sell and distribute PWR BTTM's music. If you have ordered PWR BTTM products from Polyvinyl and would like to receive a full refund for your purchase, please contact [email protected] We ask for your patience as we work to quickly process all requests.

We will be making donations to the following incredibly important organizations: RAINN (rainn.org) to support its efforts against sexual violence, and AVP (avp.org) to aid its programs against LGBTQ violence.

Our hearts go out to all victims of discrimination and all survivors of sexual violence."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know nothing about this band but are these allegations or confirmed actions?

 

Where there is smoke, usually fire but in 2017 anyone with an internet connection can start anything.

 

Interesting timing too .

 

Before anyone gets all riled up, this is just a legit question. Not an opinion or assessment of what has or will transpire 

Edited by youspinmeround

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for Vinyl Collective. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×