Third Man Records Pressing Plant Exclusive Vinyl

I'm going. What can I expect as far as lines? Is it usually fairly well organized? I'm asuming it will be like Record Store Day but much busier. I also remember reading that Third Man would stagger releases in the past at the Third Man store in Nashville. It would suck to have to get in line twice.

Edited by bluetripleb1

What to expect:

At least a 2 hour wait in line (some folks will camp over night in line.)

You should be able to buy everything announced so far all day, they have talked like it will be pressed in large enough quantities that it will last.

Expect things to move very slowly, and run late.

Probably be a surprise or two....that will sell out by the time you get to the front of the line (due to the line campers.)

Make friends while you stand around and have a good time (I'll be the guy with a STL Cardinal hat on.)

50 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

What to expect:

At least a 2 hour wait in line (some folks will camp over night in line.)

You should be able to buy everything announced so far all day, they have talked like it will be pressed in large enough quantities that it will last.

Expect things to move very slowly, and run late.

Probably be a surprise or two....that will sell out by the time you get to the front of the line (due to the line campers.)

Make friends while you stand around and have a good time (I'll be the guy with a STL Cardinal hat on.)

Thanks. This all helps. I caught the Third Man Records fest in Michigan a few years ago with the Raconteurs and a bunch of other Third Man bands. Your right about these things being a fun experience. If I see you, I'll say Hi.

23 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Book a flight to buy some records. Makes sense. 

If you are a  big enough TMR fan it does.

I have friends from around the world that I catch up with these events.  Often times the plane ticket is cheaper than paying ebay prices later!

Or you can not go, and just post ISO posts about the stuff they sell and then complain when they hit ebay.

Basically put in the time and effort to get the releases...or expect to have to pay some one else to do that!

Edited by stl_ben

1 hour ago, stl_ben said:

If you are a  big enough TMR fan it does.

I have friends from around the world that I catch up with these events.  Often times the plane ticket is cheaper than paying ebay prices later!

Or you can not go, and just post ISO posts about the stuff they sell and then complain when they hit ebay.

Basically put in the time and effort to get the releases...or expect to have to pay some one else to do that!

Good thing I think TMR is highly overrated. 

13 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

Then why are you even posting in this thread.....

I came into the thread to read about the new pressing plant, then I saw your condescending shitposts and felt compelled to join everyone else in shitposting on you. Stop being a dick, dude. No one gives a shit that you're willing to spend a ton to go wait in line for records.

7 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

I came into the thread to read about the new pressing plant, then I saw your condescending shitposts and felt compelled to join everyone else in shitposting on you. Stop being a dick, dude. No one gives a shit that you're willing to spend a ton to go wait in line for records.

Who was I being condescending or a dick to?  My posts were all pure excitement about this event next weekend till some one was dick to me....and my response to him was to go out and have fun instead of complaining....sorry if that was super rude!

(Also join everyone else in shit posting me?  Post people in the thread have either liked my posts or had a civil conversation about whats going on!)

Anyways, ITS FRIDAY.  Let's not spiral this into the flipper nonsense.  Stay on subject or posts cat gifs....no one wants to read the same old horse beating bickering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

Edited by stl_ben

3 hours ago, bluetripleb1 said:

Thanks. This all helps. I caught the Third Man Records fest in Michigan a few years ago with the Raconteurs and a bunch of other Third Man bands. Your right about these things being a fun experience. If I see you, I'll say Hi.

I can confirm this, at least 2 hours.  Record store day last year was probably about that and I would expect this to be crazier.  Too bad it won't be this weekend, should be around 60 tomorrow. 

Anyone heard / seen prices of this stuff yet?

guessing by recent releases:

White Stripes / MC5 / Stooges Lps - $50 each
Split 12" & Johnson Family LP - $30 each
7"s - $20 each

Total for Records - $250

But hard to tell if prices will drop now that they are made in house...or go up to cover all the fancy new machines...

2 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

Anyone heard / seen prices of this stuff yet?

guessing by recent releases:

White Stripes / MC5 / Stooges Lps - $50 each
Split 12" & Johnson Family LP - $30 each
7"s - $20 each

Total for Records - $250

But hard to tell if prices will drop now that they are made in house...or go up to cover all the fancy new machines...

$250 was the number I had in mind as well.  When the third man mobile store came to Royal Oak, they priced the rarer items at increased prices so this shouldn't be any different.

1 hour ago, floyd_z said:

Am I the only one that finds it a little odd that the two techno releases are 7"s?  I don't think I've ever seen any 7" techno releases.

One of the guys that runs TMR (Blackwell) is a huge Detroit 7" collector, and I assume he will push for all Detroit stuff to have a 7" release. 

5 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

As far as TMR gimmicks go, this is on the less gimmicky end of the spectrum. Pretty innocuous (outside of those prices) IMO.

I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the prices on Saturday. While the prices above are speculative, I will not be surprised if they are in fact that high. 

It is also supposed to be really cold and windy on Saturday. 

Edited by kas1985