Baby proofing cube storage

Recently put mine on the ground with a 1 year old. I just give him a good stern 'NO' when he starts to play with them. He seems responsive that he knows whats on/off limits. At the end of the day, they're just records and can be replaced. If you have some holy-grails just place them up high somewhere if you're worried about it

At first I put everything in a separate room that was gated off, but found I didn't listen as much and I didn't like that.   So now it's back in the living room but I have a length of baby gate that hooks together placed in front of it.  If my 1 1/2 year old twins knew any better they could just move it out of the way, but the fact that it's there seems to deter them and I've had no incidents so far.  Sometimes they go pull/shake on the gate so I'll just re-direct them and try to not make a big deal about it.  And I don't move the gate while they are looking.  As was just mentioned above.. any records you particularly care about should be moved up high.  I also moved the turntable up high so that it couldn't be touched.

Pic of my record setup

I got 3 kiddos, they're gonna fuck your stuff up no matter what you do ha.

Seriously, best option is buy new shelves and put them up high or keep them in a room with a door you can close. If those aren't  options pack your 12"s tightly together so they're not easy for little hands to pull out.

My first daughter drew on a few lyrics sheets but that's the only destruction my records got. My youngest is learning to crawl,  so I'm gonna have to move my 7"s soon.

I didn't babyproof anything.  My daughter had full access from day one to my shelves and my stereo, and I've never had an issue.  Every kid is different, but I think if they're used to them being there from the beginning then it all just kinda becomes part of the background.  If it's "forbidden fruit" then it's going to tempt them even more.

I used an extra long gate made by Regalo at first

https://www.amazon.com/Regalo-192-Inch-Super-Wide-White/dp/B003VNKLIY/ref=sr_1_5_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1487351425&sr=1-5&keywords=regalo+extra+wide

Depending on your setup, the gate could look rather ugly but it was my answer to not having to worry about my turntable & collection at times when I couldn't be present in the living room. You can also remove sections if you feel it's too long.

The gate worked really well in my humble opinion, but since then I've moved the collection to my bedroom where I feel is more fitting at the moment. Now, I can just shut the door or put up a small baby gate so the room is completely blocked off.

My kid gets testy, he knows he isn't supposed to touch the records but sometimes 'pretends' he's going for them just to get a reaction. Moving it all to the bedroom was the better option in my case.

If we're talking Ikea they make doors for the cube units, they're a pain in the ass to install, but they do work with the records (you do loose about 10 records worth of space per cube).  Once the doors are on you can put on whatever standard baby-proofing shit.  For me having the doors on was enough, but my little guy rarely decided to open and dig through cupboards.

Prior to installing the doors I definitely came into the room with a dozen records strewn all over the floor a few times.  And even with baby-proofing some kids are fucking smart and/or strong and can get past them, and parents will occasionally forget to close things properly.  So yeah, the stuff you REALLY care about shouldn't be within reach.

Edited by daegor

33 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I didn't babyproof anything.  My daughter had full access from day one to my shelves and my stereo, and I've never had an issue.  Every kid is different, but I think if they're used to them being there from the beginning then it all just kinda becomes part of the background.  If it's "forbidden fruit" then it's going to tempt them even more.

Same here. Have always had my expedits on the ground around my daughter and never had a problem.  Obviously I kept a close eye on her when she was as in my music room and tried to keep test presses higher up.  I also bought a couple of crappy cheap records that I left out for her to play with to keep her from pulling anything off the shelf. It got her accustomed to records early and kept her from messing with the good stuff. 

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

Pretty much been my way of doing it.

Two girls, ages 2 and 5. Never baby proofed anything with my records. Told them both to leave them alone from an early age. I listen to a lot of records with them, and I make it clear that only I can touch the records. Occasionally as a special treat they can pull one out. And I let my 5 year old drop the needle sometimes. If you get them involved and set clear boundaries, they won't fuck up you shit.  And if they do, they're just kids and it's just stuff. 

Never baby proofed. My kid at 2 or 3 killed a stylus by messing with the tone arm on my TT. That got a stern "NO!" Other than that, no problems. We listen to them and he picks stuff for us to listen to. I think teaching children [when they're old enough] to respect your stuff is a valid lesson and very necessary with expensive shit strewn about.

Here's my kid at less than a year messing with the stuff I took to record shows five years ago.

281383_513168425891_4999204_n.jpg?oh=b44

Edited by somethingvinyl

1 hour ago, ntslash said:

Two girls, ages 2 and 5. Never baby proofed anything with my records. Told them both to leave them alone from an early age. I listen to a lot of records with them, and I make it clear that only I can touch the records. Occasionally as a special treat they can pull one out. And I let my 5 year old drop the needle sometimes. If you get them involved and set clear boundaries, they won't fuck up you shit.  And if they do, they're just kids and it's just stuff. 

Plus, get them their own stuff when they're old enough. I got my daughter her first record player and set of her own records for her 4th birthday this year, just when she was starting to want to pull out the records and drop the needle in my system herself.  They are set up in her play room so she can play her own music while she plays. She leaves my stuff alone and she wants to play with records she can do it with her own, plus she's learning to be careful with them (mostly). 

All my records are in sleves and on the floor most days i get home from work and they are all pushed in or pulled out a little but he never commits and pulls them out all the way. He loves them tho hes 11 months old and ill tell him to pick out some music and hell run over pull on a record ill put it on and hell dance around the living room untill he finds something else he wants to play with 

So before I actually had my son, I was really worried about him messing my records up. Now that I have him, when I think about him being mobile I mostly worry about him somehow pulling my Expedit that is completely full of records over and on to him somehow. I can't secure it to the wall due to the crown molding in our living room, there's just too much clearance, plus plaster walls. I don't have another room that can house this large shelf. Anyone had any issues or scares with something like that? Or is this just new Dad paranoia? 

35 minutes ago, negavinyl said:

So before I actually had my son, I was really worried about him messing my records up. Now that I have him, when I think about him being mobile I mostly worry about him somehow pulling my Expedit that is completely full of records over and on to him somehow. I can't secure it to the wall due to the crown molding in our living room, there's just too much clearance, plus plaster walls. I don't have another room that can house this large shelf. Anyone had any issues or scares with something like that? Or is this just new Dad paranoia? 

Have you considered using furniture straps for your Expedit? They're usually good for scenarios such as yours where crown molding gets in the way.

• 1 year later...

Moving to a new place for a year or 2 and left my 4x2 w/ the record frames as doors at home. I used to have a separate shelving unit for my turntable/receivers/speakers. Does anybody know if records will still fit in the shelves if you get the kallax door inserts?

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20278167/

Also what's everyones feeling on stacking a 2x2 and a 1x2 and putting my turntable on top? I think w/ the 4x2 it would be a little too high. No babies in this house though the doors are to protect everything from my cats.

38 minutes ago, shenanigans said:

Moving to a new place for a year or 2 and left my 4x2 w/ the record frames as doors at home. I used to have a separate shelving unit for my turntable/receivers/speakers. Does anybody know if records will still fit in the shelves if you get the kallax door inserts?

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20278167/

Also what's everyones feeling on stacking a 2x2 and a 1x2 and putting my turntable on top? I think w/ the 4x2 it would be a little too high. No babies in this house though the doors are to protect everything from my cats.

That sounds a little high for my taste, but if you're out of room and don't mind how high it'll be, I say go for it! My cats could definitely still jump up that high if that's the concern though.

4 minutes ago, Ishtar said:

That sounds a little high for my taste, but if you're out of room and don't mind how high it'll be, I say go for it! My cats could definitely still jump up that high if that's the concern though.

Only concerned about the cats getting to the records from the floor. On top would just be the turntable which is covered so I don't see it as an issue. I feel like stacking to a 2x2 and 1x2 would put the turntable just above waist level.