LOVE - The World's First Intelligent Turntable (spoilers: it's not)

So this randomly popped up on my FB feed. Evidently it's a Roomba like device that magically spins around on top of your records and uses Bluetooth/WiFi  to stream them to shit, essentially defeating the entire purpose of listening to a record opposed to using Spotify.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/493608538/love-the-worlds-first-intelligent-turntable?ref=61fr6y

FB comment section:

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4636/jlguz2og_jpg.htm

you know man i saw this a week or two ago and thought it was dope. slap a record down on the coffee table, let this shit run around on it, stream it to my little bluetooth speaker on top of the fridge while i'm making a souflé. hellz yeah. if it was like $84.99 my fantasy would be a reality. but at this price ... eat me raw. <_<

I dont hate it. I may back it. I'm not a hipster but appreciate convenience these days. The thing that I'm thinking is that I can finally wirelessly stream my records to my bluetooth headphones which is a huge selling point. Or play records ANYWHERE IN MY HOUSE. Definitely interested... kind of between this or maybe an Orbit. '

Thanks for sharing, I don't really pay much attention to Kickstarter anymore so I would have missed it. 

I'll admit that the tech and design is cool, but the purpose of thing is completely useless, so therefore the whole thing is rendered dumb. People really just need to stop bothering trying to revolutionize the way you listen to records, cause there's nothing to improve. Turntable, amp, speakers, done. No vertical tables floating in the air. No devices spinning around instead of the record spinning. No Bluetooth anything (crap). No gimmicks. If you're going to revolutionize the turntable make a hi-fi table for cheaper somehow. If you can't do that then just don't bother. 

I really don't get how these things get backed, and backed so quickly and way over their initial goal. $600 could get you a table with a great cart. I don't get why people would buy something inferior and gimmicky for that much. I mean, I do know, cause they're stupid, but c'mon. Even the Kickstarter price or $300 could get you a great table. Not to mention the record is exposed, how do you replace the stylus, what if your record is slightly warped (which everyone comes across), how does it deal with these problems. I didn't really see it addressing with how it works minus how it analyses and transmits the sound. I don't think I really trust that thing to stay true at whatever RPM you put it at either. And I'm not just saying that cause I think the thing is dumb, I really don't see it staying constant. 

Also that woman dancing, what the fuck. Why. 

Like Rambo said, just defeats the point of listening to a record (which always seems to be the main goal of record related Kickstarter projects). People who buy this stuff don't really listen to records. It's more a conversation piece. Then they go back to streaming Spotify through their phone to their tv like we all do (when we aren't listening to records). 

Edited by Dave Grohl

1 hour ago, thetrackt said:

I dont hate it. I may back it. I'm not a hipster but appreciate convenience these days. The thing that I'm thinking is that I can finally wirelessly stream my records to my bluetooth headphones which is a huge selling point. Or play records ANYWHERE IN MY HOUSE. Definitely interested... kind of between this or maybe an Orbit. '

Thanks for sharing, I don't really pay much attention to Kickstarter anymore so I would have missed it. 

I really hope that this is the most subtly sarcastic response in the thread and that you're actually just fucking with us all.