PO: the Mountain Goats - Goths

Moglog

Just saw a new song pop up on Spotify called "Andrew Eldritch Is Moving Back to Leeds." Looks like the album will be called Goths (guess a song about Andrew Eldritch makes sense). I dig it, a bit of a different direction for them. 

https://www.mergerecords.com/goths

Edited by Moglog

9 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Have you read his books? I picked up Wolf in White Van really cheap during a Kindle Store sale, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. His new one, Universal Harvester, sounds interesting too.

I have WIWV and I read some of it over Christmas break, and the new one has me hella interested. Even though they aren't connected to one another, I want to finish WIWV before I read Universal Harvester. 

And at some point, the 33 1/3 book about Master of Reality, which I've heard nothing but good things about.

7 minutes ago, Moglog said:

Wolf In White Van was great! I went to a book reading for Universal Harvester the other week, I haven't had a chance to start it yet, but this is how JD signed my book since I was wearing a Propagandhi shirt. 

I didn't get a date near me but I'd be lying if I said I didn't consider the 4-hour drive to DC.

5 hours ago, DOMAN127 said:

I have WIWV and I read some of it over Christmas break, and the new one has me hella interested. Even though they aren't connected to one another, I want to finish WIWV before I read Universal Harvester. 

And at some point, the 33 1/3 book about Master of Reality, which I've heard nothing but good things about.

Master of Reality is fantastic. It was scary how similar it was to my own life. Loved Wolf in White Van. Just finished Universal harvester last night. Also loved it immensely although I think the hook that it is a horror novel about the weird video tapes sells it short. It is about the isolation of small midwestern towns, escapism, mothers, loss, and grief and how damaging and personal dealing with those things can be.  I think there is more of an explanation to be found in the final section than many reviewers seem to give it credit for, but solving the "mystery" really misses the point.  Mountain Goats fans should be fine though.

Edited by Rev. Mike

The single was jarring at first, but it's grown on me. Having a Mountain Goats album with no guitar is almost an oxymoron. 

He did perform an acoustic version on the Facebook stream, though (skip to 0:54):

Also from the stream, up there on the list of best Darnielle quotes: "It is my sad duty to inform you that the song 'Get High And Listen To The Cure' is not on the album".

2 hours ago, ratbrain said:

https://twitter.com/muzzleofbees/status/835535612228874240

fwiw, Mountain Goats' manager tweeted this morning that the deluxe "pre-order is almost sold out"

I actually asked him if the 3LP would be available in stores (same as all other Merge limited versions) and he said no plans at this time. But Bullmoose is getting it? I hate pre-ordering stuff and then end up seeing it at my local on release day(they are usually cheaper than most online places). Any thoughts on whether the 3LP version (I don't need the CD or pin) will show up in stores? I'm going to ask my local next time I'm in but I don't want to miss out. I'd actually really like to check out the ambient songs. 

19 hours ago, BeardedSteven said:

I actually asked him if the 3LP would be available in stores (same as all other Merge limited versions) and he said no plans at this time. But Bullmoose is getting it? I hate pre-ordering stuff and then end up seeing it at my local on release day(they are usually cheaper than most online places). Any thoughts on whether the 3LP version (I don't need the CD or pin) will show up in stores? I'm going to ask my local next time I'm in but I don't want to miss out. I'd actually really like to check out the ambient songs. 

FWIW I've seen the limited 3-LP edition of Beat the Champ in stores, and at a deep discount, too. 

• 2 months later...

My co-worker got me into this band recently.  We enjoy both the music and the lyrics.  I had questioned if it was ever said in a interview of why the singer sings the way he does.  I have not heard this style before and I had guessed he is a good song writer but may not have the best vocal voice so instead of straining his voice, he gentle sings the songs.  Our boss also likes the music too but says he likes it more for the unique style and he doesn't even consider him to be singing at all but what he calls talking with rythem.  I was wondering if this ever been answered in an interview of why he uses this style or why he sings the gentle  way he does?