PO: At The Drive In - in.ter a.li.a (release date 5 may)

7 minutes ago, EHughes527 said:

to recap - did i miss anything? Was there an all black popping up anywhere?

Cyan/Blue with Cyan Splatter (/150)
Half Bone/Half Beer with Bone Splatter (/500)
Black/Cyan with Black Splatter (/???) (AUS Exclusive)
Pic Disc Bundle (/537)
Half Bone/Half Black With Bone Splatter (/???) (Standard Edition)

Just grabbed this from the rise records releases page:

150 Half Sea Blue [P2] & Half Cyan Blue [#5] with Cyan Blue [#5] Splatter

537 Picture Disc

600 Half Classic Black & Half Oxblood [P8] with Classic Black Splatter

600 Half Classic Black & Half Cyan Blue [#5] with Classic Black Splatter

1,000 Half Bone [P3] & Half Classic Black with Bone [P3] Splatter 

1,500 Classic Black • Black Label • Special Marketing Sticker calling out Black Vinyl

2,250 Half Grimace Purple [P7] & Half Deep Purple [#12] with Grimace Purple [P7] Splatter

5,500 Half Bone [P3] & Half Beer [P5] with Bone [P3] Splatter

So either the person who @Velocity of Sound talked to didn't know what they were talking about, they lied, or these descriptions that look to be copied directly from a plant's order form (given the color codes) is incorrect.

Edited by dantheriver

It's all on Rise Records twitter feed. They said the bone/beer variant (the first variant MerchNow had listed and was advertised as 500 pressed) sold out. When it sold out they intended to immediately start selling a different variant, bone/black bone splatter,  but they botched the  transition.  The item switched but the discrimination of the vinyl stayed the same. I'm sure they sold 100 copies before it was fixed. 

It also used the same link as the first variant, which added to the confusion. 

Edited by Velocity of Sound
Added the word "the".

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here, but I'm in bewilderment seeing how people are going shitballs over this preorder. And I'm actually curious about people's affection with 2017's edition ATD-I, considering the shitfest of a reunion tour, Cedric's bedazzling personal development as a somewhat public figure and the gaping hole in creativity and actual correlation to their heyday that is Jim Ward being completely absent. Is it old affection to the name? Or did you guys enjoy all the Volta and whatnot records of recent years? Did you see them play and they were the legitimately best thing ever? Do you hate Jim Ward?!

It kinda still hurts saying this, considering how much I adore all their original output, but I'm not looking forward to this, because there's nothing about it to get me excited. It's not that I'm sure the record is gonna blow. Antemasque didn't, kinda. But not a single member of ATD-I (minus Ward, but..) put out anything exciting in 14 years, for me, personally. Also skipping through some videos of their recent touring really showed just how much youthful energy they put into their recordings, and how unable they are today to reproduce any of that.

1 hour ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here, but I'm in bewilderment seeing how people are going shitballs over this preorder. And I'm actually curious about people's affection with 2017's edition ATD-I, considering the shitfest of a reunion tour, Cedric's bedazzling personal development as a somewhat public figure and the gaping hole in creativity and actual correlation to their heyday that is Jim Ward being completely absent. Is it old affection to the name? Or did you guys enjoy all the Volta and whatnot records of recent years? Did you see them play and they were the legitimately best thing ever? Do you hate Jim Ward?!

It kinda still hurts saying this, considering how much I adore all their original output, but I'm not looking forward to this, because there's nothing about it to get me excited. It's not that I'm sure the record is gonna blow. Antemasque didn't, kinda. But not a single member of ATD-I (minus Ward, but..) put out anything exciting in 14 years, for me, personally. Also skipping through some videos of their recent touring really showed just how much youthful energy they put into their recordings, and how unable they are today to reproduce any of that.

Frances the Mute through Noctourniquet might warrant a few more listens.

2 hours ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

I saw them last year at 9:30 club and it was outstanding.  Lot's of energy, nostalgia, and great setlist across all their albums.    I might try to go see them again at one of their dates.  Am I excited by this release?  Not necessarily, but hopeful.

2 hours ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

Stating your opinion shouldn't rain on anyone's  parade.  Honestly, it's bewildering to me that you can't find any excitement in any of the mindbogglingly awesome records that the Mars Volta put out, grammy's and all.  Saying nothing that Omar has done has excited you really makes me think you just weren't paying attention because the guy has released upwards of 40 albums in that time.  Saying not one of them excites you is just lazy, especially if you enjoyed ATDI.

It baffles me that people are expecting 40+ year old dudes to bang out the same old shit they did when they were 18.  I thought everyone knew by now that it just doesn't happen, ever.  They're different people, with different circumstances.  Enjoy it for what it is, or don't.  

And everyone harps on that reunion, where Omar stated he hated every last bit of it because his mom died right at the beginning of it.  I'm not sure about you guys, but I give him a pass.  By all accounts, the most recent touring was outstanding, Jim Ward or not.

22 minutes ago, nick69 said:

Very impressive job from Rise records confusing vinyl geeks and ATDI superfans alike. Obviously desperate to stimulate hype.

By the way, you should listen to more Death Metal. There have been great comeback albums from At the Gates, Gorguts and Carcass.

The Carcass one surprised me. Actually caught them live in a ~600cap venue out here last summer and it was amazing.

2 hours ago, rogeoa8 said:

Frances the Mute through Noctourniquet might warrant a few more listens.

Although I have to admit that my interested took a drastic turn after Frances, I made sure to give every Volta record a fair chance and a couple of attentive listens. I dug most of Noctourniquet, but their artistic direction after De-Loused just wasn't for me.

1 hour ago, ptothedo said:

I saw them last year at 9:30 club and it was outstanding.  Lot's of energy, nostalgia, and great setlist across all their albums.    I might try to go see them again at one of their dates.  Am I excited by this release?  Not necessarily, but hopeful.

Sounds great! It's nice to hear some positive feedback to their shows. I saw them in Berlin last year and it was pretty lackluster, but fine.

52 minutes ago, highfives said:

Saying nothing that Omar has done has excited you really makes me think you just weren't paying attention because the guy has released upwards of 40 albums in that time.  Saying not one of them excites you is just lazy, especially if you enjoyed ATDI.

I mean, when someone whose early output you enjoy releases ten albums you don't really like, you're not eager to listen to the next thirty. I skipped a lot of his solo recordings, not all, and listened to all of his band projects (just listened to Crystal Fairy a minute ago). I'm not one to dismiss former favorite artists' music too early and wouldn't say his stuff sucks, but over the last ten years or so I definitely got the impression that Omar wasn't the singular driving force behind ATD-I that made their music great and neither was Cedric. Loving all the Sparta records manifested that, for me.

2 hours ago, highfives said:

It baffles me that people are expecting 40+ year old dudes to bang out the same old shit they did when they were 18.

I don't expect them to do the exact same thing they did two decades ago, but if they want to do things differently, then why chose to do so under that name? These guys already have a band that's doing the whole sounds kinda like ATD-I but we're older now-thing in Antemasque and 'finally getting all the guys together' certainly doesn't play a role, so I fail to grasp the reasoning behind this reunion (some might say there's money to be made).