Is it just my crappy cart?

Darkloud

Hey VC! So I just got into vinyl 2 weeks ago. I got DSotM PFRLP8 and a craptastic cartridge. Cart was only 25 dollars. On the intro of Money, i can bearly hear the change falling, register opening, etc. Also it sounds 'chopped'. Then like 5 seconds later it plays fine... Is this just my crappy cart? It also had been properly set up with Baerwalds protractor. I do get some IDG but it is no where near as bad as it was before I actually set up the cart with the protractor. TT is a Dual CS608. 

So what do you guys think? My cart is just too crappy and is mistracking? BTW the LP was brand new when purchased. 

25 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Potentially, what cartridge?

Unfortunately I am not home right now but im 90 percent sure its the Audio Technica at92 or 91? something like that. I know it has a gross conical stylus which I know is crap to begin with but needed something to get by for now. I plan on getting a Nagaoka MP-110 but just wanna make sure my LP isnt LPee. lol ... see what i did there...  OK ill stop...

Apologies man. I even looked to see if there was a better place for this post but must've missed that. Thanks for bringing it up. 

Edited by Darkloud

Could be the pressing. Most new records you buy these days have at least some surface noise, or other defects that may cause poor tracking. That being said, a better cartridge will defintely help you get the most out of your records, just don't expect a better cartridge to fix every issue you may have.

3 minutes ago, bjorn said:

Could be the pressing. Most new records you buy these days have at least some surface noise, or other defects that may cause poor tracking. That being said, a better cartridge will defintely help you get the most out of your records, just don't expect a better cartridge to fix every issue you may have.

Roger! Thank you so much for the response! If I do in fact have a poor pressing, what if anything can I do about it? Seeing a show easy it is to ruin a record I would assume the store I purchased it from wouldn't really care to replace it for me, right? I did get it at a brick and mortar in my local area so I know it will be ultimately up to them but is that something that is common? Having poor pressings I mean.

Guess we will see how it sounds when I get the Nagaoka

I just had another thought. I found during my research that a few people play their records right after they clean them. I have a kit from Vinylstyle that has the CF brush, the actual record brush, stylus cleaning brush and 2 solutions, one for records and one for stylus. I have been taking the advice and cleaning my records before every play however I am not letting them fully dry before hand. Could the wet record be part of my problem? Not at home right now to test it but was thinking maybe a wet record would be harder to read?

Edited by Darkloud

Well, it's a photo of a crappy cart so yes.  And yes it really is this convoluted.

In all seriousness... a little more info would help.  Did you buy the record new or used?  Have you tried cleaning the record or the cartridge?  What kind of turntable?  Is it set up properly with the anti-skate weight?

If it happens at the same point in the record and you bought it used, it's probably the record.  Maybe the needle had too much pressure on the grooves and distorted them at some point, also that is a pretty quiet part of that album.

1 minute ago, floyd_z said:

Ahh sorry, just read the responses.  Yes, a needle is an electro-mechanical device, doesn't mix well with water.  I usually make sure to do an extra spin on an RCM, just to make sure there is zero water left.

Sweet! Thank you for the explanation. I will definitely give it a dry spin this afternoon after work. I was under the assumption that since it is a non electronic material tracking the record that it wouldn't matter. Thanks again!

Yeah no problem.  I would recommend a vacuum powered record cleaning machine.  I bought a Record Doctor about a year ago and it works pretty well.  It doesn't get everything out, but for under $200 it works pretty well.  You just spread the solution on the record, flip it,  turn on the vacuum,  give it three or four rotations and it's done.

11 minutes ago, floyd_z said:

Yeah no problem.  I would recommend a vacuum powered record cleaning machine.  I bought a Record Doctor about a year ago and it works pretty well.  It doesn't get everything out, but for under $200 it works pretty well.  You just spread the solution on the record, flip it,  turn on the vacuum,  give it three or four rotations and it's done.

He got into vinyl 2 weeks ago, has a crappy cart and is probably using tap water to clean records

I think a vaccumm RCM isnt exactly the next purchase here

1 hour ago, Darkloud said:

Due to your sarcastic remark and lack of actual helpful advice, I can assume that I should let them fully dry?

Relax bruh. My sarcastic remark brought you to the correct conclusion.

Letting them dry fully or wiping them down would be the first thing I'd try.

Think about needles, grooves, spinning, water and sound that's bad every few seconds.

14 hours ago, bjorn said:

It's not the pressing, the new DSotM sounds phenomenal. 

What's your cart and turntable?

AT95e on an LP60?

You said you used a Baerwald, but did you set the tracking force and antiskate correctly? How did you measure the tracking force?

First things first, make sure your records are dry! Make sure the stylus is clean after playing your wet record too.

19 hours ago, floyd_z said:

Well, it's a photo of a crappy cart so yes.  And yes it really is this convoluted.

In all seriousness... a little more info would help.  Did you buy the record new or used?  Have you tried cleaning the record or the cartridge?  What kind of turntable?  Is it set up properly with the anti-skate weight?

If it happens at the same point in the record and you bought it used, it's probably the record.  Maybe the needle had too much pressure on the grooves and distorted them at some point, also that is a pretty quiet part of that album.

4 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

It's not the pressing, the new DSotM sounds phenomenal. 

What's your cart and turntable?

AT95e on an LP60?

You said you used a Baerwald, but did you set the tracking force and antiskate correctly? How did you measure the tracking force?

First things first, make sure your records are dry! Make sure the stylus is clean after playing your wet record too.

As stated in OP it as a Dual CS608 and an AT-91 or something. It was only 25 bucks. I purchased a press of "Shure - An Audio Obstacle Course" and set my anti skating by putting my stylus on the blank grove and balancing it out till it stayed still in the groove. Tracking weight was set with a digital scale. Not a tracking force gauge, however I do plan on getting one. I also used the VinylStyl kit I purchase to clean both records and stylus. One thing I didn't mention is that it was brand new when purchased.

18 hours ago, youspinmeround said:

If you wipe it properly with the correct cloth, you arent going to be waiting long

Unless he is just using his garden hose and letting it air dry

18 hours ago, youspinmeround said:

He got into vinyl 2 weeks ago, has a crappy cart and is probably using tap water to clean records

I think a vaccumm RCM isnt exactly the next purchase here

As stated I purchased a kit from VinylStyl that includes a solution for the record and for stylus. Obviously I've been using the provided solution and not a garden hose or tap water...

But here is an update though. After getting home I put on 'Money' without ANY cleaning and it did the same thing. I cleaned the stylus and it played that part perfectly. So it seems like it isn't my pressing and just my shit cart or because I was running it wet.

19 hours ago, floyd_z said:

Thank you much man. I will definitely be looking in to that. What are your thoughts on https://www.amazon.co.uk/Knosti-Disco-Static-Record-Cleaning/dp/B00793YMKK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433332535&sr=8-1&keywords=disco+static as a cheaper alternative?? I've read it is supposed to be superior to the spin clean.