BSR p208 turntable and pye 3002 amp. Anyone have any experience or info?

Hey guys, first post here and new to the vinyl world. 

I picked up this PYE unit a couple of weeks ago and I can't find any info about it online. It's my first record player and I'm just wondering if anyone knows what kind of quality it is,  as i have nothing to compare it to.

It has a BSR P208 turntable in it, I have read some bad things about BSRs but most of what I read was on the 310, this model looks a bit higher in quality, but I don't really know anything about  them. 

It's in excellent condition, I had to pull the motor out and regrease it as the grease had gone hard ave the shaft wouldn't turn,  but I put it back together and it works and sounds great (to me anyway). 

Any info would be greatly appreciated! 

Cheers, Sean. KGk7jrRh.jpgDRYiV44h.jpg

7B2hzaIh.jpg

Looks to be in nice condition so probably hasn't been used a lot but BSR tables in general and Pye equipment of that vintage isn't exactly known for hifi quality (think mid 80's Amstrad), that said though it is a perfectly good start in the world of HiFi provided it didn't cost you a lot of money. You could certainly keep hold of the table for a while as it is one of BSR's better efforts and potentially the best part of it.

That sort of thing would have come from a department store or pay weekly catalogue like Empire in the late 70's or early 80's and was aimed at the casual listener who wasn't that fussed or didn't really know what they were buying when Pye was still a known name.

Don't get me wrong you really could have bought a lot worse buying new as it's light years better than a Crosley, Ion, Pyle or any of the other plastic crap now available as back then even the bottom end of the market was perfectly serviceable and there are improvements you can make as the weakest bits in it will be the cartridge (unless it's already been replaced) and the speakers, Not all of them have replaceable cartridges but if it is look out a half decent Shure cartridge for it or an Audio Technica AT95 and something like a pair of Kef Coda 7 or 9 speakers if you can but keep hold of the original speakers if you decide to move it on.

There is a fair amount of this sort of stuff still about as it was bought by older people and used very little and you do see it in fashionable boutiques for silly money but is also still available for between £20 to £40 in the local classifieds which is much more it's real value.

For now enjoy it but know it for what it is.

Thanks @allenh

Yeah, I picked it up from an old fella for $30 Australian, and there's not a mark on it so I'm pretty happy with it as a starting point. 

Just thought I'd see if I could find some info on it to see if it would be worth upgrading down the track if I get more serious about it. 

I got this Phillips off my dads mate for free but he lost the stylus, and i couldn't find any info on it. So when I saw the other one for sale I just grabbed it. Turned out to be way better anyway. 

4kDHyDp.jpg

$30 Aus is a good price yes so enjoy it and yes it's a step up from the Philips

There was some shocking stuff produced by some good names in in the 80's which all falls in the bracket of BPC (Black Plastic Crap) but it's still better than a Crosley, Ion, Pyle, GPO etc. etc.

You can fit another cartridge to that Philips if you can't get a Stylus to get it going but I can't see if you can adjust the tracking force on it so that might make things difficult, I'd be surprised if you can't get a stylus for it though being Philips.