Lookout records

Guest conoley

When Green Day pulled their records for not getting paid, Lookout pretty much went out of business. They stopped putting out new albums and lost the majority of their staff. Avail, Screeching Weasel and the Riverdales also pulled their music.

I think original presses are going to maintain high values (obviously) but I am not sure how limited represses are of these

Mystic probably isn't in breach of their contract with NOFX. Like Conoley said, a lot of the lookout bands probably weren't getting the money they deserved. Labels can own the right to the master for a long time (depending on the contract). This is how many of the smaller indie labels have been able to grow. When a band reaches huge success, re-releases of older records sell more as well.

If Mystic knows what's good for them, they'll keep NOFX happy.

The Vindictives and Groovie Ghoulies also took back their catalog.

There was a good article in the local leftie indie rag:

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/2005-09-14/news/kerplunk/

"The list of defectors has grown over the years to include, among others, Screeching Weasel, Avail, Neurosis, Pansy Division, Enemy You, Blatz, Filth, the Criminals, and the Riverdales."

Red Scare reissued the Panic Button Lillingtons albums. The Weasel releases on Panic Button are still on Panic Button though.

I think the latest is Epitaph is doing the OpIvy in the fall. It was supposed to finally be reissued by Rancid Records in March.

It's crazy they've left that OpIvy out of print for so long, they must really not need the money.

That remastered Downfall album doesn't seem to be on track to ever hit the light of day.

I don't know how 'rare' of any of those releases will be. There have to craploads of them out there in used bins across the world.

Mystic probably isn't in breach of their contract with NOFX. Like Conoley said, a lot of the lookout bands probably weren't getting the money they deserved. Labels can own the right to the master for a long time (depending on the contract). This is how many of the smaller indie labels have been able to grow. When a band reaches huge success, re-releases of older records sell more as well.

If Mystic knows what's good for them, they'll keep NOFX happy.

NOFX isn't happy. it seems like they can do dick all about the pressings though.

When Green Day pulled their records for not getting paid, Lookout pretty much went out of business. They stopped putting out new albums and lost the majority of their staff. Avail, Screeching Weasel and the Riverdales also pulled their music.

it's pretty good if Lookout! will re-press the OPIV or Queers as coloured wax.

but i'm not sure they will take any action after i ever heard they almost broke (or already broke ?)

i believe that's the gist of it, more or less. they didn't pay the royalties owed bands, so in a sense they used it for themselves. frankly, that's all they had going for them.

now we need small brown bike to pull their stuff, have it re-released on vinyl, and then everybody wins.

I remember when I used to order from Lookout back in the day (pre-web). You'd send a stack of cash in an envelop and like eight months later a package would arrive. At least twice they sent me two of the same packages and told me to keep the extras that showed up, again pre-web so I gave the stuff away to my buddies.

Anyone here have a favorite Lookout release? I'm biased toward Screeching Weasel, but aside from SW records, my favorite has always been J.D. Salinger by the Wynona Riders. I had to buy that three times on vinyl I played it so much.

I have that Wynona Riders album on cassette, can't remember if I liked it or not, some of my favorite lookout releases would have to be:

Riverdales s/t

OPIV "energy"

Common Rider "am i on my own" 7"

the Green Day releases

Ted Leo releases

The Queers "surf godess" 7" and Don't back Down records.

Pinhead Gunpowder (I forget the name of the 7", it had "landlords" on it)

But, my all time favorite record that they ever put out would have to be Mr. T Experience "revenge is sweet and so are you"

I remember when I used to order from Lookout back in the day (pre-web). You'd send a stack of cash in an envelop and like eight months later a package would arrive. At least twice they sent me two of the same packages and told me to keep the extras that showed up, again pre-web so I gave the stuff away to my buddies.

Anyone here have a favorite Lookout release? I'm biased toward Screeching Weasel, but aside from SW records, my favorite has always been J.D. Salinger by the Wynona Riders. I had to buy that three times on vinyl I played it so much.

back before Green Day blew up, Lookout was hella fast (but I did live on the California central coast). There would be a week turnaround on mailorder.

The Queers also pulled their catalog, btw...but went back to Lookout at one point.

Favorite Lookout Releases (not in order):

Green Day - Kerplunk

Weasel - Anthem for a New Tomorrow

OpIvy (obviously)

Vindictives - Many Moods

Avail - Over the James

Punk USA comp

Alkaline Trio Hell Yes 7"

I won't count Panic Button (Death by Television, Major Label Debut, and Four on the Floor)