Cool things to do in/around Columbus, OH?

Going to Columbus for a hockey game on 3/10. Hotels were very cheap so we decided to get an extra night. Looking for cool stuff to do the next day.

Anything I have to see? Good vegan food? Must see record shops? Was thinking of checking out the zoo. Anybody ever been?

Thanks guys. 

Edited by kylet

14 hours ago, mrewest said:

BEER BEER BEER 

I actually don't drink lol. But thank you.

7 hours ago, scott_c said:

The zoo is very nice, and Magnolia Thunderpussy is one of the best record stores in town, IMO.

http://www.thunderpussy.com/

Awesome! Will definitely check that store out! Thanks. Looking forward to the zoo. I'm a reptile kind of guy and based off the website looks like they have a solid collection!

6 hours ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Drive to North Canton and we'll hangout.

Come down to Columbus and watch the Sabres get spanked with us haha.

Anybody know of some good vegan food? Or anything else unique to Columbus?

Record store breakdown:

Used Kids: Tons of stuff. Probably the best place to find deals on used records. You can spend a good amount of time here.

Magnolia Thunderpussy: Dedicated metal section. Good stock of new stuff. Used section can be paltry and they often put higher end used records in the new section, which can be annoying. T-shirts, dvd's, zines, lots of cool stuff.

Records Per Minute: My personal favorite. They have a very large $2 section but a relatively small "regular" used section. Biggest selections of new records in town. Dedicated sales rack in the back.

Elizabeth's Records: Specializes mainly in used with a huge jazz selection. Not a good place to find deals but a good place to find some gems.

Lost Weekend Records: Smaller shop with that nice hole in the wall feel. Decent selection of new and used and doesn't go overboard with used prices.

Spoonful Records: People love this store and I do not understand why. Relatively good selection of new records and a good place to find some gems, which they post on their facebook page.  You won't find any bargains here, though. They regularly have used records for extremely high prices.

Roots Records: Never been but been meaning to hit it up. Specializes in hip hop and rap but carry other genres.

Ace in the Hole records: Going out of business sale! Copied an article on the topic: " All used CD’s in the store are 50% off all week; vinyl records $6 and under are 50% off (and, you’d best believe me, there’s still a BUNCH of great, cheap vinyl left in the store, I got that Brotherhood album – offshoot band of Paul Revere & the Raiders – for 50 cents last week, among others); vinyl $7-$30 is 20% off, and vinyl over $30 (and there’s some gems in that price range still there, too) is 30% off." Never been but I plan on stopping by after work today.

Used Kids, Elizabeth's Records, Record Per Minute, and Lost Weekend are relatively close together. Roots is just down the street from Magnolia, which is only a couple miles from Spoonful. So it would be easy to hit more than one.

1 hour ago, ThunderPantz said:

Record store breakdown:

Used Kids: Tons of stuff. Probably the best place to find deals on used records. You can spend a good amount of time here.

Magnolia Thunderpussy: Dedicated metal section. Good stock of new stuff. Used section can be paltry and they often put higher end used records in the new section, which can be annoying. T-shirts, dvd's, zines, lots of cool stuff.

Records Per Minute: My personal favorite. They have a very large $2 section but a relatively small "regular" used section. Biggest selections of new records in town. Dedicated sales rack in the back.

Elizabeth's Records: Specializes mainly in used with a huge jazz selection. Not a good place to find deals but a good place to find some gems.

Lost Weekend Records: Smaller shop with that nice hole in the wall feel. Decent selection of new and used and doesn't go overboard with used prices.

Spoonful Records: People love this store and I do not understand why. Relatively good selection of new records and a good place to find some gems, which they post on their facebook page.  You won't find any bargains here, though. They regularly have used records for extremely high prices.

Roots Records: Never been but been meaning to hit it up. Specializes in hip hop and rap but carry other genres.

Ace in the Hole records: Going out of business sale! Copied an article on the topic: " All used CD’s in the store are 50% off all week; vinyl records $6 and under are 50% off (and, you’d best believe me, there’s still a BUNCH of great, cheap vinyl left in the store, I got that Brotherhood album – offshoot band of Paul Revere & the Raiders – for 50 cents last week, among others); vinyl $7-$30 is 20% off, and vinyl over $30 (and there’s some gems in that price range still there, too) is 30% off." Never been but I plan on stopping by after work today.

Used Kids, Elizabeth's Records, Record Per Minute, and Lost Weekend are relatively close together. Roots is just down the street from Magnolia, which is only a couple miles from Spoonful. So it would be easy to hit more than one.

Thanks! Definitely gonna hit up Ace in the Hole and look for some cheap stuff!

23 hours ago, Satan said:

I am Columbus folk.

Shoot me a PM and we can get the real talk on.

Thanks dude!

So here's my list as of now:

Food:
Melt Bar

Pattycake Bakey
North Star Care

Things to do:
16-Bit Arcade
Zoo

COSI Science Musuem

Record Shops:
Magnolia Thunder Pussy
Used Kids Records

If any Columbus folk can think of something I have to do/see let me know! Thank you everyone for the advice!

Edited by kylet