PO: U2 - How Yo Dismantle An Atomic Bomb Reissue (April 28)

3 hours ago, timsimmons said:

They just announced a massive Joshua Tree box. 7LPs. Album on 2, live show on 2, and bsides and outtakes on 3. 

I wonder if the the albm album discs are the same as the current pressing which I have heard sounds fantastic. 

This is so tempting...I was assuming it would be well over $200 but at Bullmoose it's $180 shipped (and no tax to CA) which makes it a bit more manageable.  Part of me feels as though I don't NEED all the extras but then again it's one of my all time favorite albums. 

It was a great era of b-sides for them. 

I guess the show that's included is on youtube. I'm gonna check that out before ordering. I'm pressed for space and a big box like this takes up what could be 10 or so other records. At the price, I don't think this thing is gonna sell out too quickly. 

Edited by timsimmons

3 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

It was a great era of b-sides for them. 

I guess the show that's included is on my outube. I'm gonna check that out before ordering. I'm pressed for space and a big box like this takes up what could be 10 or so other records. At the price, I don't think this thing is gonna sell out too quickly. 

Agreed, and it's not being released until June so we definitely have time to figure out if it's going to be worth it.

I'm a big U2 fan and I can't really get excited about the Super Deluxe.  I know everyone loves The Joshua Tree but to me it's middle of the pack in my albums rankings.  I'd rather see them re-press more of their 90's and 00's stuff than do ANOTHER Joshua Tree re-issue.  

4 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

I am surprised they aren't doing a 20th anniversary Pop thing. I thought they were on the right track with the remixes they did for the second singles album. 

Yeah, mixes in the Best of 1990's album were great.  I'd buy a Pop box set with the original mix and a re-mixed version for $180.

Totally. I'd actually love a 'baby'/working version like they did for AB. They have a very interesting process when it comes to writing tracks and I like to hear the skeletal versions. And with all the sampling and improv they did writing it, I'm sure there is some interesting stuff. The remixes from the period sound so dated now so I'm less interested in those. But a reissue+new mix of the album+ album+b-sides+working version and then maybe that Mexico City live show could make an awesome 7-8LP set like this. But I'm guessing it would be closer to the AB set. 

Edited by timsimmons

11 hours ago, miracleandwonder said:

Still waiting for a poor man's edition of AB on vinyl... plus the aforementioned Zooropa, Pop and ATYCLB.      HTDAAB is not one of my fave U2 albums but I will get it to add to the collection, and I'm glad it's being repressed.

Yeah, I can't believe they didn't just release a standard AB when they were pressing it for the box set.  

On 3/9/2017 at 9:34 PM, miracleandwonder said:

Still waiting for a poor man's edition of AB on vinyl... plus the aforementioned Zooropa, Pop and ATYCLB.      HTDAAB is not one of my fave U2 albums but I will get it to add to the collection, and I'm glad it's being repressed.

When Best Buy was having their crazy vinyl deals a few years back, they were selling the AB box for $60 I think. I made a calculated decision that they were probably never gonna release a "cheap" version of AB anytime soon and pulled the trigger. 

Pressing was great and of course the package is top-notch. Well worth the $60, which is cheaper than a used OP. Plus I got the remixes on 2XLP 45 RPM blue vinyl, which is... Eh. They really missed an opportunity by not putting the B-sides on wax instead.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, tvham said:

I finally got around to listening to this - wow, it sounds incredible! Here's hoping we get a similar package for ATYCLB soon.

Agree.  It's a pretty nice package.  Heavy weight vinyl full 12" book.  They could have charged more for this and I would have bought it.  We also need Pop and Zooropa.  And Achtung Baby that's not in a box set.