PO: SHEER - Psychic Quarry 12" EP (FFO: Indie Pop, Fuzzed-Out Pop, Dream Pop)

v600_ALBUM_ART.jpg

A year and a half since the release of their debut album, and two member changes later, Sheer are back.

With their new EP Psychic Quarry, Sheer embrace a change that finds the band at their most relaxed and inspired. While their debut LP Uneasy introduced the band as one with a kinship for dreamy, reverb-induced soundscapes, Psychic Quarry is a much more catchy, and indie rock-informed affair.

The six songs on Psychic Quarry cover a lot of ground – feelings of anxiety and depression, the vulnerability of intimacy, and even the post-election shock many of found ourselves coping with.

Psychic Quarry will be released April 28th on vinyl, as well as digitally.

Tracks

1. Room
  2. Enfold Me
  3. To Love and Feel Alive
  4. Shut It Off
  5. Euphony
  6. Stutter
Pressing Information

100 – Black in Coke Bottle Clear
200 – Milky Clear

http://www.thenativesound.com/products/588660-sheer-psychic-quarry-ep

listened to the track. it wasn't as bad as I feared, but it also didn't hit me the way any song on the tape did. it also sounded eerily close to a pity sex track, but when pity sex cleaned up their sound a bunch. will give it some more listens and see if it burrows in my head like orion or heavenly did on uneasy.

1 hour ago, jrodan said:

listened to the track. it wasn't as bad as I feared, but it also didn't hit me the way any song on the tape did. it also sounded eerily close to a pity sex track, but when pity sex cleaned up their sound a bunch. will give it some more listens and see if it burrows in my head like orion or heavenly did on uneasy.

Uneasy was the gem on that record.  

9 hours ago, jrodan said:

wish they would release the first tape on vinyl. also, that description of the change in sound scares me. will check this out though.

Same here re: Uneasy being vinyl, but I have a fledgling tape collection so it's all good. So much diversity in the songs, yet they all work,  because of the way she arranges the song structure with the hooks. Hard to pick a favorite. Love Gina's voice and transparency. She is very approachable as well.

Loved uneasy and would definitely grab a vinyl version of that if it was available down the line. This I will have to check out being that there's been some lineup shifts and I'll have to see just how hard USPS wants to hit me to import it. Shipping to the UK pretty much doubles the cost of a record these days and the last two overseas orders I placed got hit with customs fees to add another £12 on top (both from sellers who I've ordered from before with no problem so I reckon either USPS or Royal Mail have shifted the goal posts to make it even more unappealing.)

Love the native sound though so I'll probably just pony up some cash for the digital.

• 3 weeks later...