Descendents - Everything Sucks 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition

On 3/21/2017 at 8:00 PM, ludakrishayes said:

The US Black and U.K. Clear are 180 gram. US White and Clear are not. 

I canceled my order with KRM U.S. and placed a new order with KRM U.K. for the 180g. Clear version. The heavier weight will sound better in my opinion plus I already own the White version from 2011 (Hot Topic/Epitaph Reissue). I get the best of both worlds...it looks awesome (Clear) and the sounds quality will be exquisite  (180g.). And KRM U.K. packages better than the U.S. store. Just saying.

2 hours ago, regan138 said:

I canceled my order with KRM U.S. and placed a new order with KRM U.K. for the 180g. Clear version. The heavier weight will sound better in my opinion plus I already own the White version from 2011 (Hot Topic/Epitaph Reissue). I get the best of both worlds...it looks awesome (Clear) and the sounds quality will be exquisite  (180g.). And KRM U.K. packages better than the U.S. store. Just saying.

I did the exact same!

2 hours ago, xxmartinxx said:

180g vinyl doesn't make enough, if any, difference to the sound to care.  It's a marketing ploy.  

It's hard to say, because oftentimes you can't A/B a 180 gram to say a 140, as you could in this case if you wanted to. Of course the color of the vinyl will also affect its sound, and it really comes down to who's mastering, but at the very least, 180 will provide the potential for a better stamp. 

You're right though, it's not as though lighter vinyl is "inferior."

11 minutes ago, museummouth said:

All 180g does is prevent warpage over lighter vinyl.

I agree. I was just thinking about that. No warpage (Descendents) is a great thing. I like records, not tacos...but I do like tacos too. Crap...joke backfired. Oh well. Haha. I Crack me up! 

Edited by regan138

I have 180g vinyl that sounds bad and I have flexi discs that sound great.  I also have some 180g that have a bowl to them, but my turntable has a built in clamp, so I'm not overly concerned with that.  Michael Fremer once wondered if whatever sonic differences that might be attributed to slight change in VTA, and I think that's right.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, jonnywreck said:

The packaging on this is great, and they come in resealable sleeves! Woohoo! The vinyl itself feels 180 gram (I got the white), and sounds fantastic. Probably the best overall package I've ever received from Epitaph outside of the Euro Touché Amoré.

I received the same and noticed the vinyl was way thicker than a standard pressing.  

Did anyone receive an email with the download code in it?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5.6.2017 at 2:33 PM, brentoage said:

Sooooo... does anyone else have a 180g/black copy that sounds like absolute shit? Because mine does :(

I have the EU on clear vinyl, pressed by Record Industry in the Netherlands. Yes, it does not sound good. In my opinion it was just cut too hot which causes distortion. Also inner groove distortion is a problem with my copy. I know the problem is not my setup. 

35 minutes ago, Iggy_Pilot said:

I have the EU on clear vinyl, pressed by Record Industry in the Netherlands. Yes, it does not sound good. In my opinion it was just cut too hot which causes distortion. Also inner groove distortion is a problem with my copy. I know the problem is not my setup. 

That is how I would describe my copy, too. It distorts all over the place and sounds like it was cut way above an acceptable level.

49 minutes ago, Iggy_Pilot said:

Interesting. I have the same pressing, and I thought it overall sounded outstanding, especially compared to the old master. I do have a little bit of groove distortion on the last track of side A, but that's an issue I find with a number of louder records. 

From my experience, Record Industry usually delivers pretty good pressings but I have experienced the same problems with distorted sound/inner groove distortion with the Epitaph pressings only, e.g. Rancid - and out come the wolves (20th anniversary EU edition on 180g black vinyl) and also Descendents - Hypercaffium Spazzinate (green/black swirl and clear/black swirl variants).

20 minutes ago, Iggy_Pilot said:

From my experience, Record Industry usually delivers pretty good pressings but I have experienced the same problems with distorted sound/inner groove distortion with the Epitaph pressings only, e.g. Rancid - and out come the wolves (20th anniversary EU edition on 180g black vinyl) and also Descendents - Hypercaffium Spazzinate (green/black swirl and clear/black swirl variants).

My black Hypercaffium has some awful inner groove distortion on the A side.  It's particularly frustrating since the album isn't that long.