USPS - Package Delivered, Buyer Claims It Lost

I recently sold a boxset to someone on discogs. $300 purchase price and I insured the package for $250. Tracking says it was delivered in/at the mailbox about 20 days ago. The buyer reached out to me saying that it was delivered but wasn't at his door. He contacted the post office and they attempted to retrieve it with no luck. 

He now wants a refund. What are my best options here? I'd hate to go through this whole process if he's just claiming it as not-delivered when it actually was. Is it possible to file an insurance claim on a delivered package? PayPal usually sides with the buyer so I don't see much luck doing through their process. I documented packaging it and have the tracking info/insurance ticket. 

16 minutes ago, [Banned User] said:

I recently sold a boxset to someone on discogs. $300 purchase price and I insured the package for $250. Tracking says it was delivered in/at the mailbox about 20 days ago. The buyer reached out to me saying that it was delivered but wasn't at his door. He contacted the post office and they attempted to retrieve it with no luck. 

He now wants a refund. What are my best options here? I'd hate to go through this whole process if he's just claiming it as not-delivered when it actually was. Is it possible to file an insurance claim on a delivered package? PayPal usually sides with the buyer so I don't see much luck doing through their process. I documented packaging it and have the tracking info/insurance ticket. 

If tracking says it shows PP should rule in your favor from what I've seen. 

14 minutes ago, [Banned User] said:

Deep breath!

If the item was marked as delivered, you are 100% safe. What (most likely) happened is that the package was stolen from your buyer's door/porch/public mailbox area. It happens and it sucks. Sometimes, the buyer understands the situation and, while upset, they acknowledge that it is not the seller's fault that a third-party committed a theft against them; other times, they figure "Hey, I might as well try and get a refund from the seller anyway."

The only way PayPal will side with the buyer is if a PayPal employee makes a mistake. And, IF that happens, all you need to do is call PayPal and say "Hey, I want to appeal this. Here is proof of delivery." and they'll overturn the decision in your favor. It's very simple and, at worst, will just involve you calling them a few times until you reach someone who understands the situation and corrects it. Under no circumstances should you try contacting PayPal and sorting it out via email. Their email support is awful. Call them.

Beyond that, you might receive some nasty messages from the buyer but you are safe/good/in the right. Don't let other people's PayPal nightmare rants deter you from knowing your rights and assuming the worst. I hope this helps!

What everyone said is correct. Unless the guy is being a dick, I would at least try to file a claim with USPS. I had to do the same thing, but USPS said it was "delivered". Same situation, but more like $100 item. It at least showed the buyer that I was willing to do everything I could. I mean I would be pretty pissed if I got a $300 item stolen and the seller just said, "Oh well!" In my case the buyer found out it was delivered next door, but it was pretty sketch for a while. She was appreciative that I tried to file a claim for her. For something worth that much, it would be smart to require a signature, for future sales.

3 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

What everyone said is correct. Unless the guy is being a dick, I would at least try to file a claim with USPS. I had to do the same thing, but USPS said it was "delivered". Same situation, but more like $100 item. It at least showed the buyer that I was willing to do everything I could. I mean I would be pretty pissed if I got a $300 item stolen and the seller just said, "Oh well!" In my case the buyer found out it was delivered next door, but it was pretty sketch for a while. She was appreciative that I tried to file a claim for her. For something worth that much, it would be smart to require a signature, for future sales.

Totally agree. I definitely learned this time around that signature confirmation is the way to go. I'll be filing a claim tomorrow but I'm not hopeful for them. Anything to cover my ass though. I did what I could and it sadly was probably stolen. 

Hoping PayPal will be in my favor. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, [Banned User] said:

Totally agree. I definitely learned this time around that signature confirmation is the way to go. I'll be filing a claim tomorrow but I'm not hopeful for them. Anything to cover my ass though. I did what I could and it sadly was probably stolen. 

Hoping PayPal will be in my favor. Thanks!

In my opinion, filing a claim is a nice gesture but it's giving somewhat 'false' information to the buyer. There is 0% chance the USPS will award you a claim for an item that was successfully delivered so, at best, you are putting them in an unnecessary state of waiting for a few days/weeks for something that is guaranteed not to happen. In the end, they end up in the same place. That said, if somehow you file a claim and get awarded money back, update this thread because that would be a game changer for how these things go. Either way, I hope the headaches going forward are minimal and the buyer moves on.

1 minute ago, richardsurf said:

In my opinion, filing a claim is a nice gesture but it's giving somewhat 'false' information to the buyer. There is 0% chance the USPS will award you a claim for an item that was successfully delivered so, at best, you are putting them in an unnecessary state of waiting for a few days/weeks for something that is guaranteed not to happen. In the end, they end up in the same place. That said, if somehow you file a claim and get awarded money back, update this thread because that would be a game changer for how these things go. Either way, I hope the headaches going forward are minimal and the buyer moves on.

That's true. I just want to make sure the buyer knows that I'm trying the best I can to help them in the situation before PayPal gets involved. As of right now, no paypal claim has been filed, but I'm sure it will happen soon. I've documented everything up until now so I'll be prepared. I am definitely not expecting USPS to even answer my claim really, haha.