PO NOW: Russian Circles 'Live at dunk!fest 2016' [2xLP]

4 minutes ago, ethereal said:

I don't even wanna beat around the bush with this one, the "color in color" turned out horrible

How do you reckon?  I think it's a nice change from the usual blob or crazy swirl.  There was an Elvis Depressedly record that came out not too long ago that had a bone / blue mesh similar to this color-in-color, and it turned out gorgeous.  Looks like it's polished and glows around the center label.  Definitely fresh, in my opinion.

Also, death to streaky splatters.

4 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

How do you reckon?  I think it's a nice change from the usual blob or crazy swirl.  There was an Elvis Depressedly record that came out not too long ago that had a bone / blue mesh similar to this color-in-color, and it turned out gorgeous.  Looks like it's polished and glows around the center label.  Definitely fresh, in my opinion.

to each their own I guess but the second LP in that pic just looks plain bone colored. I definitely expect something advertised as "color in color" as merge or blob-in-color, not a variant that looks like they are still trying to get the process down 

42 minutes ago, ethereal said:

to each their own I guess but the second LP in that pic just looks plain bone colored. I definitely expect something advertised as "color in color" as merge or blob-in-color, not a variant that looks like they are still trying to get the process down 

Yeah, all the photos of that ED record looked like a pale opaque color, unless it was being photographed with proper lighting and a quality camera.  Which is why I suspect Sasan may be more impressed with it in person than what's shown.  Either way, "color in color", "mesh", and even "swirl" all have such random results associated with their descriptions.  The same can be said for every variant, really; I've seen some remarkably weak colorways advertised as splatter, splits, etc.

But variant squabbling aside, I hope that anyone who's listened to this can agree that the mixing is stellar.  Halfway through a Spotify listen and thoroughly impressed.  309 has always been a favorite of mine at shows, and I think this live mix captures some of the punch you only get in person.  I didn't listen to Dunk's Pelican set that was released last year, but I admire how low the audience is mixed on this one.

9 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I didn't listen to Dunk's Pelican set that was released last year, but I admire how low the audience is mixed on this one.

This mix on that Pelican release is stellar, and better in my opinion than any of the band's other live releases. I can't wait to get this RC album.

Edited by throwgncpr

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...