PO Now: Gorillaz - Humanz (Also the 'OG' Discussion Thread)

43 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

Just cuz you dont comprehend it or want to read it doesnt make it any informative.

Stick to your color variants I guess.

I know that's what I've been saying. It isn't any informative. I also definitely didn't read it you're right. I guessed the direct quotes... you got me. Colored variants are cool too; it's a good thing these new remasters popping up everywhere are taking advantage of the aesthetic. Do you prefer black? I'll usually only buy black vinyl if I have to. I dunno why they even use it anymore unless it matches the cover art.

19 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

What's there to talk about?  Album is mediocre at best and terrible at worst.  Amazon UK orders are arriving without packaging.  Honestly, the origins of OG vs. OP feels more substantial to discuss.

I feel like it's a discussion I encountered in the first 15min when I considered joining Steve Hoffman forums and a reason I haven't been back since

I'd rather hear if the album sucks, than debate which side's a first press if it still sounds bad

Edited by Darnoc

4 minutes ago, ejc625 said:

The deluxe + art book is available again through their online shop. 

Was just about to post that too! http://usstore.gorillaz.com/humanz-deluxe-vinyl-art-book-1.html I feel that is the go to edition if you want both the music and the art at the same time. They also announced a UK/Euro tour this morning.

Edited by Vector53

My biggest criticism of the album is flow. I don't like the way certain songs are placed, ex. Momentz after Saturnz Barz or Let Me Out after Carnival.  I keep finding myself wanting to re-organize the songs.

But I really like Humanz. Even with the lack of Damon, I think it's a strong Gorillaz release with great melodies and a variety of music styles. It could've have been amazing with a touch more refining and focus, but I think as it is now it's still good.  

20 minutes ago, ghost said:

My biggest criticism of the album is flow. I don't like the way certain songs are placed, ex. Momentz after Saturnz Barz or Let Me Out after Carnival.  I keep finding myself wanting to re-organize the songs.

But I really like Humanz. Even with the lack of Damon, I think it's a strong Gorillaz release with great melodies and a variety of music styles. It could've have been amazing with a touch more refining and focus, but I think as it is now it's still good.  

It still makes me wish Damon had somehow been able to rope in James Murphy to produce this. DoYaThing was a fantastic solo release and his input in production would have probably helped out Damon and Tone with those rough edges.

24 minutes ago, ghost said:

I like the album a lot, but I will concede this, there is no flow to it. 

16 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

I like the album a lot, but I will concede this, there is no flow to it. 

He probably could have done a couple more crossfades that would roll into another song much like Andromeda goes into Busted and Blue perfectly. That transition is top tier.

I just don't understand why Damon picked Twilite Tone, like dude is a legend in his own right, but I saw in an interview they wanted to make a modern album. Twilite Tone does old school hip-hop and Chicago house, which neither other than maybe two house songs have that vibe. I think If he had worked with someone much younger the album would have gotten a better outcome. I think Remi Kabaka Jr. and Fraiser T. Smoth fit well on the idea of making a modern album, but not at all Twilite Tone. I think Damon just loves taking artists and making them do things different, regardless of the outcome, like De La Soul using Autotune, or whatever the fuck it is Jehnny Beth does on We Got The Power. Only a handful of songs on here are good or better in my opinion, and I wish Damon would have picked someone better to help with most of the production on this album. Like just on the top of my head, maybe someone like James Blake, who makes multiple styles of music well, or someone coming from Atlanta, like Organized Noize, which even though they're older, they played a great part in the creation of the Atlanta sound that all the new ATL artists are inspired by.