PO Now: Gorillaz - Humanz (Also the 'OG' Discussion Thread)

http://store.gorillaz.com/uk/

Gorillaz have finally announced their first new album in six years. As revealed on their Instagram, it's called Humanz and it's out April 28. Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett collaborated with an all-star cast on the album, including Grace Jones, Mavis Staples, Danny Brown, De La Soul, Pusha T, Kali Uchis, Kelela, Vince Staples, Jehnny Beth from Savages, D.R.A.M., Popcaan, Jamie Principle, Kilo Kish, Anthony Hamilton, Peven Everett, and Zebra Katz. Earlier this year, Gorillaz released “Hallelujah Money,” featuring Benjamin Clementine. They also announced their first show since 2010, headlining their own festival. Earlier today, four tracks appeared listed on TIDAL. Albarn is set to premiere new music on BBC Radio 1 later this afternoon. The release date and full tracklist haven't been announced yet.

Speculation about a Gorillaz return heated up in September when the group created an Instagram account, complete with a career-spanning timeline. It followed Damon Albarn’s July 2015 promise that he was recording new music for the project. Speaking about the album later that year, Albarn said: “So far, it’s really fast, and it’s got quite a lot of energy. I’ve been stuck on piano, somewhere off Broadway, for years now. I want to go somewhere completely opposite of that.”

There are 14 tracks on the regular edition, with five more on the deluxe. A Super Deluxe Vinyl Box Set will also contain each of the 14 regular edition tracks on its own piece of vinyl, backed by an alternate version. (Yes, that means it's a 14-disc box set.) They've also put out a six-minute film called “Saturnz Barz (Spirit House),” directed by Hewlett, containing the track “Saturnz Barz” [ft. Popcaan], as well as clips from “Ascension” [ft. Vince Staples], “We Got the Power” [ft. Jehnny Beth of Savages] and “Andromeda” [ft. D.R.A.M.]. (All four tracks were listed on TIDAL earlier today.] Each of those tracks will also be premiered on various radio stations today.

As previously reported, Humanz features contributions from Grace Jones, Mavis Staples, Danny Brown, De La Soul, Pusha T, Kali Uchis, Kelela, and many more. And now it has also been revealed that actor Ben Mendelsohn (Rogue One, Bloodline) narrates the album's interludes.

According to a press release, the album was recorded in London, Paris, New York, Chicago, and Jamaica and produced by Gorillaz, Pusha T/John Legend collaborator the Twilite Tone of D /\ P, and Remi Kabaka. Also, tomorrow, Friday, March 24, Gorillaz will perform the entire album live at a show in London at a secret location. (Ticket info can be found here.) On June 10, Gorillaz will headline their Demon Dayz Festival in Margate, England.

Humanz:

01 Ascension feat. Vince Staples
02 Strobelite feat. Peven Everett
03 Saturnz Barz feat. Popcaan
04 Momentz feat. De La Soul
05 Submission feat. Danny Brown and Kelela
06 Charger feat. Grace Jones
07 Andromeda feat. D.R.A.M.
08 Busted and Blue
09 Carnival feat. Anthony Hamilton
10 Let Me Out feat. Mavis Staples and Pusha T
11 Sex Murder Party feat. Jamie Principle and Zebra Katz
12 She’s My Collar feat. Kali Uchis
13 Hallelujah Money feat. Benjamin Clementine
14 We Got The Power feat. Jehnny Beth

Deluxe edition bonus tracks:

15 The Apprentice feat. Rag’n’ Bone Man, Zebra Katz, and RAY BLK
16 Halfway To The Halfway House feat. Peven Everett
17 Out Of Body feat. Kilo Kish, Zebra Katz, and Imani Vonshà
18 Ticker Tape feat. Carly Simon and Kali Uchis
19 Circle Of Friendz feat. Brandon Markell Holmes

You can preorder an 2xLP, and 2xLP with black vinyl and art book, or 14xLP with colored vinyl and signed by Gorillaz' artist Jamie Hewlett.

Saturn Barz Music Vid:

rdrh_JbvihUIN_q92MIcKPY1YFXK0BbuWRz2isHx

Edited by Vector53

1 minute ago, rogeoa8 said:

the spark in perceived relevancy of Gorillaz thanks to the recent VMP reissue hype is staggering (and impressive)

If you really think the hype about Gorillaz was because of just a reissue, then you're way off, I'm afraid. Maybe on this board yes, but fans and I have been waiting for 6 years for new stuff.

2 minutes ago, Vector53 said:

If you really think the hype about Gorillaz was because of just a reissue, then you're way off, I'm afraid. Maybe on this board yes, but fans and I have been waiting for 6 years for new stuff.

On vinyl? their last album was recorded on an ipad, theyre not exactly daft punk when it comes to analog hi-fi.

5 minutes ago, rogeoa8 said:

On vinyl? their last album was recorded on an ipad, theyre not exactly daft punk when it comes to analog hi-fi.

Oh you're talking about vinyl pressings of their stuff? Yeah I've never had complaints about their releases on vinyl but they aren't spectacular or anything.

8 minutes ago, rogeoa8 said:

their last one? ;) No no, 'Plastic Beach' was definitely not being recorded on an iPad, you're talking 'bout The Fall. If you don't know Plastic Beach, I'd highly recommend listening to it. To  me, it's a conceptual work of art. and by far my favourite Gorillaz record. Like the self/titled, but couldn't really dig into Demon Days. But Plastic Beach is an opus magnum.

The fact that Kali Uchis, Danny Brown, and Vince Staples are on this makes me very excited, 3 of the best newer artist out right now, really happy the Gorillaz decided to get more underground artist when they could have easily went and gotten Kendrick, Chance, or a singer like Rhianna.

Edited by Reshiram454

13 minutes ago, magic_foe said:

their last one? ;) No no, 'Plastic Beach' was definitely not being recorded on an iPad, you're talking 'bout The Fall. If you don't know Plastic Beach, I'd highly recommend listening to it. To  me, it's a conceptual work of art. and by far my favourite Gorillaz record. Like the self/titled, but couldn't really dig into Demon Days. But Plastic Beach is an opus magnum.

...the fall came out after plastic beach, which is why i said "their last album". and yes, the fall was reportedly recorded entirely on an ipad. but ill try to give plastic beach a try though

17 minutes ago, RockPuppetz said:

that first single was terrible, I'll give the others a listen soon!

They've stated many times that Hallelujah Money was not technically a single but more a response to the Trump inauguration. These songs are much more single worthy. But yes, that song isn't my cup of tea either. Damon should have sung more and not have the feature take up so much of it.

Edited by Vector53

21 minutes ago, Vector53 said:

They've stated many times that Hallelujah Money was not technically a single but more a response to the Trump inauguration. These songs are much more single worthy. But yes, that song isn't my cup of tea either. Damon should have sung more and not have the feature take up so much of it.

"Its not a single but its on the album" What? Weird logic there from Gorillaz IMO, but hey it is what it is. Heard something more along the lines of this song not being on the album, kinda sad to see it is on there. "

Anyway any links to stream the new 4 songs? I don't have tidal