PO Now: Gorillaz - Humanz (Also the 'OG' Discussion Thread)

20 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

Its a shame that carrying case isn't any nicer. But the contents look great.

I would think they're going to slap something that has Gorillaz - Humanz on it. This thing isn't out til August anyways.

Pics of the deluxe vinyl book: http://imgur.com/gallery/Qz3WG

Edited by Vector53

3 hours ago, rogeoa8 said:

and the hype dissipates faster than it even manifested itself. i knew people just came out of the woodwork for this because of the demon days repress. brilliant strategy by whoever is managing these guys. lets be honest, other than hearing them on the jukebox once in a while, everyone forgot about them until this year (or should have).

Er, no.

The repress has nothing to do with it.  People were hyped before they even knew a repress of DDs was coming.

Gorillaz gets played all over the radio (at least in the cities I visit).  People who like Gorillaz did not forget about them, it sounds like you simply don't like Gorillaz.

I also find the comments saying that this isn't a departure odd.  While obviously there have been changes from album to album, I find that the first three albums do have a very recognizable thread throughout.  I did not feel like Plastic Beach was a huge departure, and was not disappointed by it at all.

This feels like a huge departure, which is fine, it's just not for me.  A lot of people ARE into it and that's cool.

1 minute ago, daegor said:

The repress has nothing to do with it. 

Stretch

1 minute ago, daegor said:

People were hyped before they even knew a repress of DDs was coming. Gorillaz gets played all over the radio (at least in the cities I visit).  People who like Gorillaz did not forget about them, it sounds like you simply don't like Gorillaz.

Fair enough. To me, it simply doesn't justify the amount of hype that was seen on these and other boards for a new album as if its the second coming. Many of the features were very offputting to me after just seeing the tracklist. My point being that just because you and I still hear Feel Good Inc on the radio once in a while and laugh when someone plays Clint Eastwood at the bar, that doesnt make a new Gorillaz album any more relevant in 2017,  despite the flashy vinyl packages and kewl kartoonz.

7 minutes ago, rogeoa8 said:

My point being that just because you and I still hear Feel Good Inc on the radio once in a while and laugh when someone plays Clint Eastwood at the bar, that doesn't make a new Gorillaz album any more relevant in 2017,  despite the flashy vinyl packages and kewl kartoonz.

I would point out to them selling out Demon Dayz and a decent portion of the shows selling out to indicated at least a good portion of folks still being interested in the concept without even hearing the new album. I think it was insane that people lined up at 2am in the morning to go to the Rough Trade show a couple days back. I remember during the PB tour, which had a string quartet and the Syrian Orchestra, not even selling out many of their venues at all. In fact, they were lined up to play at the Hollywood Bowl but instead downgraded to the Gibson Amphitheater. 

Edited by Vector53

I think on the spectrum of popularity, Gorillaz are on the higher end. They were playing small arenas on the Plastic Beach tour. People thought they were done for the past 5 years, so I get the people getting psyched for a comeback. But the rollout for this did maximized the hype. 

Given the features though, I'd say it's pretty relevant.  

Edited by timsimmons

44 minutes ago, daegor said:

Because you clearly don't like them.  There is a huge fan base of people who unironically enjoy their output, you not understanding that does not make the hype less real.

Again, all I have said is that the amount of hype was overblown. I'm not questioning that there exists a dedicated fan base. You are correct that I don't appreciate much of their material. I am not even commenting on the merits of being a fan. All I said and continue to say is that the hype for this release which included a hundreds of dollars super deluxe pressing of each track on an individual 12", and the resulting sales volume for said deluxe edition, wasnt warranted. The proof of this is evident on this very board in the numerous people having second thoughts about even waiting for their super deluxe (still 4 months away mind you) rather than cancelling their order. i have no beef with these british apes. I'm just amused when I recall the raving that occurred in this very thread when the pre-order dropped.

Edited by rogeoa8

Hype wasn't overblown...I'm guessing it will only get bigger once the the record actually comes out.

I have tons of friends that aren't into vinyl and preorders, but once they found out recently there was a new record coming out their hype just started.

People like this band.  Hype isn't an excuse...they are just popular.

It's not Gorillaz. There is no 2D's magic voice, no good bass lines from Murdoc, No sick drum beats from Russel no interesting guitar from Noodle. +Cover this all with sause made of BORING music, throw in some cllab artists, who sounds out of place(most of the time) and you will have this album.

I won't be surprised if Albarn wrote and recorded this album in 2 month just to bait trustful liberals on hot political theme.

Edited by ASSARTOSE

9 minutes ago, ASSARTOSE said:

It's not Gorillaz. There is no 2D's magic voice, no good bass lines from Murdoc, No sick drum beats from Russel no interesting guitar from Noodle. +Cover this all with sause made of BORING music, throw in some cllab artists, who sounds out of place(most of the time) and you will have this album.

I won't be surprised if Albarn wrote and recorded this album in 2 month just to bait trustful liberals on hot political theme.

He was making this record back in 2015. Trump wasn't even the Republican candidate then. Cause Albarn has never been political at all before. No way.

Edited by Vector53

1 hour ago, Vector53 said:

He was making this record back in 2015. Trump wasn't even the Republican candidate then. 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/apr/10/damon-albarn-gorillaz-new-album-humanz-response-trumps-election

http://www.stereogum.com/1936352/damon-albarn-edited-out-every-trump-reference-on-the-new-gorillaz-album/news/

O.K.

But why he went "all American"(even said OUR country in one of the iterviews) and always says, that this album "about the night after"(omg)

43 minutes ago, ASSARTOSE said:

O.K.

But why he went "all American"(even said OUR country in one of the iterviews) and always says, that this album "about the night after"(omg)

Yeah it was a framework that he had for an album. It was more of an accident that he ended up predicting Trump. He recorded alot of the album in Chicago and the majority of folks being American. Plus, Gorillaz has been the most successful of all his bands in America. The Fall was made during his PB tour. Anyways a good interview about his concept of the album: 

2 hours ago, Vector53 said:

Yeah it was a framework that he had for an album. It was more of an accident that he ended up predicting Trump. He recorded alot of the album in Chicago and the majority of folks being American. Plus, Gorillaz has been the most successful of all his bands in America. The Fall was made during his PB tour. Anyways a good interview about his concept of the album: 

Well if that so he didn't try his best. Because I've listened to the half of an album and only Busted and Blue sent shivers on my spine(saturnz barz ok too)

As a fairly hardcore Blur fan I admit the recent hype around Gorillaz did make me blink twice. But it's a combination of the first two albums hitting nostalgia-era for older fans, and then add the hype of this being their first new album in 7 years and you got a killer combo of anticipation.

The fact that they're bigger than Blur is impressive.

Pretty cool that Pitchfork allow you to stream this album while you can read about how it's mediocre at best.  Just barely missed that 7.  Not that their reviews mean a whole lot, but it's just strange (to me) that any publication would dedicate a stream to something that scored so lukewarm.  But also not surprising, because money.  That's how you know it's the rull good shit.

This thread was getting my expectations pretty low for this album.   But after listening to the first half this morning I'm really liking it a lot so far.  I'm wondering if those complaining about a lack of Damon vocals listened past the first couple of songs?