PO Now: Gorillaz - Humanz (Also the 'OG' Discussion Thread)

7 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

OK cool, I see a NJ listing that reads: "Records spin fine with no skips or surface noise."

That one would get higher bids with an actual grading on the record. That's an auction for an original press, I dont know anything about your "OG" copy.

that actually is my listing.  the grading is above it under item specifics.  But to clear it up Ill put it at the bottom too.  thanks for the help. ha!

2 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

I dont know anything about your "OG" copy.

2 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

Your Original Gangster copy of Demon Days?

Have you not seen the use of OG on the boards?  Your quotations and use of the term almost suggest like it's a foreign phrase to you, but I feel like it's been around for years.

19 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Have you not seen the use of OG on the boards?  Your quotations and use of the term almost suggest like it's a foreign phrase to you, but I feel like it's been around for years.

Ditto, always associated 'OG' with 'Original' (yes, yes, I know it means Original Gangster).  I've seen it used many other places, and long before VC as well.  VC uses it a lot, but we didn't start it.

EDIT: Just noticed I even use it in my sig, haha

Edited by daegor

2 hours ago, timsimmons said:

I would think OP would be a better abbreviation for original pressing. 

It is.

That's what most of the record commenity uses. Its also what I see on the price tags at my local shops. (I also see "Org")

"OG" is a term I think the younger community uses mostly, along with "vinyl". (Not meant as a dig at anyone, just an observation) 

[EDIT: The word "vinyl" above should have an "s" on the end, but the sites edited it out.]

OG should be reserved for gangster rap and weed strains.

Edited by vinyl addict

10 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

I would think OP would be a better abbreviation for original pressing. 

That wouldn't have been possible to discern any time before the 2000s. OG is easier because it more or less means the first run before any kind of different masters or plates. Nobody knows if there was only one run of the original Demon Days black vinyl because labels don't say anything when they repress black vinyl.

20 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

What do you think OP means?

What do you think a pressing is? It isn't plural that's for sure. When they run low a second pressing happens using all the same numbers and vinyl color without telling anyone (The norm when vinyl was the primary music format). That wouldn't be the original pressing since it's the second one. Got it?

44 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

But don't most people just say Thread Starter now? 

Nah.

OP is infinitely more popular and widely accepted than OG – basically any message board since the beginning of time will reference OPs.  Hell, there are entire memes centered around OPs and their sexual orientation / mothers.  It is what it is.  Even if there was a benefit to changing them, I think it's far too late to revise the use of OG or OP on these boards.  Or any board, for that matter.

2 minutes ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Over Powered.

OP is OP.

Edited by Derek™

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

What do you think a pressing is? It isn't plural that's for sure. When they run low a second pressing happens using all the same numbers and vinyl color without telling anyone (The norm when vinyl was the primary music format). That wouldn't be the original pressing since it's the second one. Got it?

Yes, and therefore a second pressing never should be labeled as OP, got it? 

4 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

Yes, and therefore a second pressing never should be labeled as OP, got it? 

Exactly so when you can't tell you shouldn't use it. Glad we had this talk.

I do have to laugh that there are people saying "original gangster" in their head when they read it though. I don't think my brain has ever associated the two. Do you guys think "post office" whenever anyone types "PO" as well?

40 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Exactly so when you can't tell you shouldn't use it. Glad we had this talk.

I do have to laugh that there are people saying "original gangster" in their head when they read it though. I don't think my brain has ever associated the two. Do you guys think "post office" whenever anyone types "PO" as well?

Yes to both.

e.g. is also exempli gratia --> think "here's an example for free" while i.e. is id est ("that is" as in "that is to say...")

EDIT: Lol @ thread title change.

Edited by armadillo01

15 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

Its in the matrix # in the deadwax.

http://www.queenmuseum.com/?p=1456

"The following informations are partially taken from an article pubblished in Record Collector on may 2012 about Beatles first pressings."

Super great intro, let's see what else this kid googled for you.

"Typical ‘Dead Wax’ markings for a later fifth pressing first year of production and beyond. This is the point at which I got bogged down by the vinyl disk variations, (which for the first year of production are really just differing stamper codes) and ran into diffìculty with some terminology such as “first pressing”, for example."

Ah they got bogged down. Here's the part when they say they don't know what's going on so on to Google.

"The master disk or matrix: made by electroplating the lacquer to form a metal “male” version of the lacquer.

Mother disk/tool: the female version of the master matrix disk, hence “mother”, used to manufacture the stamper discs/tools."

Haha. Matrix disc. That's not what that's called silly. I'll accept master plates or lacquer plates but not master matrix disc.

Master Matrix Disk is a cool wrestler name though. 

"The stamper disks/tools: the male stamper tools (matrix clones), which were actually fìtted to the record presses making the records."

Matrix clones lmao. I can't believe they were actually fitted to record presses to make the records. I thought they just sat on them hehe.

"So what is a “first press”?"

You haven't given me much confidence that you know what you're talking about but I'll attempt to decipher your explanation.

"During the early pioneering days of record making, the sound was recorded straight on to a disc or lacquer, from which the matrix disc was made."

Oh it's an early pioneer method ;)

"Originally, a first press was any record pressed using the originai first matrix disk. Once this was worn out or damaged, a new matrix disk was to make the stamper tool used to press the record."

Still sticking to it though. I like how they think discs make discs. The physics of that makes my head hurt.

"Hence, once decoded, a first press would technically have a ‘mother’ code 1 at 9 o’ clock and a stamper code G at 3 o’clock and that’s it. Anything else is technically not really a first press. Stamper code R is a second press, A is a third press, M a fourth press and so on."

I think I get it!

"However, it is not quite that simple."

Damn.

"Because Beatles records were mass produced, pressings 1, 2, 3, 4 (and possibly more, on occasions) were being made simultaneously next to each other on different presses, so plenty of 1M stamped records would have been made before 1G stamped records, as the letters and number just refer to the tool used to stamp the records, so at least four would have been running at the same time."

Ok! So as long as I've got the 1G I'm good! That's the true first pressing of the first pressings!

"This effectively means that your chances of getting a true first press even on the day of release, having ordered in advance two weeks beforehand, were less than one in four."

So it's difficult but you can still figure it out. Guess I was wrong.

"To complicate the issue further, the stamper tools were not fìtted to the pressing machines in matched pairs. They were fìtted randomly, as long as a Side 1 tool was married to a Side 2 tool."

Nevermind lol 

It's funny how this is the last thought of the blog and it basically says none of what you learned matters because it was random. Maybe they can split a record into two slices taking the "first pressing" slice of each and glue them together. A true first pressing.