Are record collectors the biggest scumbags

Lets say you take 100 random people and 100 record collectors. I guarantee there will be more scumbags in the latter group.

Hear me out.

This is all shit that has happened in the last couple of months. And I have virtually no online presence so this is pretty concentrated. Had a Ryan Adams Heartbreaker original issue vinyl up for sale. Buyer contacts me with a pretty low offer, I try and help him out (not being snarky) by telling him it has been reissued for around his price. He tells me he collects first pressings of RA and really wants this for his collection. Cool, I get that and I offer to sell it to him for slightly more than his initial offer. A couple of weeks later my Ebay saved search email shows this guy trying to flip it at around what I had it listed for. Send him a message and no response.

One of my friends bands had me give away 5 test pressings of their first album. It has no album and label art so they didn't feel right charging for it. At the show the only thing I asked was people give away the album if they didn't like the music, I mean this was after the show when presumably they would have seen them open for the main act, so they should have had a rough idea what the music was like. Sure enough a week later one of these pressings is up on Ebay as rare New York metal band test pressing only 5 made.

And what about all the unkempt greaseballs at record shows with that "got mine" attitude and no consideration for others browsing?

Seriously these last couple of weeks it's made me sick just putting a record on, I'm just getting on Apollo and downloading the damn thing.

I know what you mean.

I also see artists, stores, etc trying to screw record collectors as well. I was at an antique mall the other day, had little time, so I went straight for the records booths.

After combing through nearly every record in the whole damned place, I pulled out a banged up copy of The Monkees's Pieces, Aquarius, Capricorn, and Jones Ltd. The sign in front of the booth said:

"Albums for $5."

What was left out was the word some...haha. So I put it back. I've also seen $15 for shipping and handling on a record I really wanted, but I won't pay that much for one unless there's something about it.

I don't consider myself a vinyl collector as much as someone who has a vinyl library. I won't spend any more than a couple dollars for color variants. I don't have multiple copies of anything except one album that was sent to me twice on promo, I assume by mistake. I switched to vinyl about 2 years ago now because I decided having music playing all the time wasn't special...so I wanted something special.

That's all...that's a big part of why I don't go back and buy every single thing I have on CD on vinyl.

6 minutes ago, Vector53 said:

Let's be honest, flippers are prevalent in all parts of the collector-sphere (posters, signatures, toys, movie steelbooks, comics).  People just like making money the easy way at times. 

Also true!

They're a big part of why I don't "collect" anything anymore. I find myself getting things I don't want and will get no enjoyment out of in order to have a valuable collection to impress people I don't like.

When I made that last realization is when I started unloading my rare video games.

^ As mentioned above, some of the traits you're describing are common with collectors of any subject/medium. There is something about collecting that appeals to folks with certain personality types (or disorders :P) and, as much as it can be a social activity, collecting can also be very isolating and individualistic in practice. Throw in the anonymity of the internet or the hectic nature of a record show and you have a recipe for people behaving less polite or thoughtful than they might normally in other areas of their life. So, long story short, I guess I agree with your original "100 people" argument. :)