Debating TT upgrade. Not sure it's worth it?

All,

I have a Project Debut Carbon with the Speedbox and the 2M Blue.  I like the sound I get overall but can't help wondering about upgrading to a nicer table.

The 2 tables I've been looking at are the Planar 3 (2016) and the Project Classic. Either table would be running the Blue at least to start so I wonder if there's a distinct advantage to either table against my current table given all would have the same cart.

Strictly sound-wise, my first upgrade would be amplification. Vintage receivers are great starting points, but I'd say it's definitely the weak link in there.

But in reality, I rarely go with the "smart choice" myself. Aesthetics and passion play way bigger roles for me than they should. If you want a new table because you really want a new table, why not. :D

I'm in the US. The Focals were bought from musicdirect.com (hence the line of credit).

At one point I was looking at the Project Tube Box which then drifted to the Vincent PH-08 and the Phenomina II.  

I am way open to suggestions.....probably won't won't go higher than a 2M Bronze or similar. I listen to alternative, punk, reggae and a little jazz.

Edited by Monastic_mike

Ever thought of building a pre amp? There's an EAR 834 clone on the bay to be had for cheap and it sounds amazing.

If you're handy with a soldering iron at all it's not particularly difficult to do. Here's a thread discussing it. Worth at least considering.

http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=20984.0

30 minutes ago, Jlegg said:

Ever thought of building a pre amp? There's an EAR 834 clone on the bay to be had for cheap and it sounds amazing.

If you're handy with a soldering iron at all it's not particularly difficult to do. Here's a thread discussing it. Worth at least considering.

I've never soldered. Ever. I have seen those build your own jobs and am curious but not a direction I want to go. Me soldering anything would be the proverbial monkey humping a basketball as it were.

Edited by Monastic_mike

7 hours ago, Jlegg said:

I've been looking at those, have you tried one yourself?

As others have said it will be a sideways step, so long as they spin at the right speed, you really need to spend a lot for turntable improvements. I have 2, one cost over £5k (Nottingham Analogue Ace Space with heavy kit and ace Annalog arm) and one I picked up used for £100 (Audio Research AB101 with stock arm) and although they sound quite different they both sound great. The differences of one being about mass and the other is on suspension.

The things that make the most difference as others have said are the arm, cart and phono stage. Ultimately, MC cartridges pull more from the music. If you get a better phono stage you'll soon be picking up/wanting to try a MC cart.

A Rega Planar 3 is most certainly an upgrade over a Debut Carbon.

As far as a phono preamp goes, I highly recommend the Lounge. It is musical bliss. I've had one for a little over a year and it was $300 well spent.

When I was researching before I went with the Lounge, I read the Vincent sounds flat. Also read some other poor reviews. If you are deciding between those 2 preamps, it's a no brainier for me.

Edited by vinyl addict

18 hours ago, RSand said:

The things that make the most difference as others have said are the arm, cart and phono stage. Ultimately, MC cartridges pull more from the music. If you get a better phono stage you'll soon be picking up/wanting to try a MC cart.

16 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

A Rega Planar 3 is most certainly an upgrade over a Debut Carbon.

A case in point the Project and the Rega are fundamentally the same design with the Project being a copy of the Rega, the difference though is the Rega arm.

Yes @Monastic_mike your Project can be bettered but upgrading the cart and/or phono stage will yield the biggest changes for now and if you move up the turntable tree later you can always hang onto your new cart and phonostage.

And @RSand if you like your EB101 sounds like you're someone who should invest in a better 3 point sprung sub chassis table.