PO NOW: Elder - Reflections of A Floating World 2XLP [Stickman/Armageddon Label] [6/2/17]

10 hours ago, Twistedshabazz said:

Amoeba had like 15 copies of this today. Thought it was already out. Apparently not..

So I just went on Amoeba.com after reading this last night and bought a copy since it will likely come in long before my Euro copy will. Should be here by Monday if I know Amoeba. I wish I had known they had this available since May 19th. I would have ordered it then.

Edited by mcpherson123

Just got my copy in the mail from Amoeba and its the Armageddon Label variant which is ok. Was still hoping there would be black going into shops instead but its cool. I'm glad to get it early even if it only a few days early. Still kicks ass and I can't wait to play it after work tonight. Also just got shipping notification today from Napalm about my black Euro copy. I wonder when that will show up. I've had things come pretty fast from Germany before so I'm hoping it doesn't get held up too long.

19 hours ago, kannibal said:

New to Elder, but liking what I'm  hearing on this new album. Gonna give it a full listen and decide if I need the LP.

I can already tell you that you do.

And the previous album Lore...

And the one before that, Dead Roots Stirring.

They're all great.

First self titled album is cool but I haven't even gotten through it in one sitting ever. 

1 hour ago, ethereal said:

listened to this twice over the weekend and couldn't pull out anything other than meh. I'm trying to see the hype in this project but it's not there for me.

I've been a fan since their first release. Anyway, I recommend you  check out their back catalog. You will be able to see their growth and how they get better after each album. Dead Roots Stirring is my favorite song by them but Lore is my favorite album. However it could be replaced with Reflections of a Floating World after a few more spins. Don't write them off so quickly.

Elder Bandcamp

19 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

I can already tell you that you do.

And the previous album Lore...

And the one before that, Dead Roots Stirring.

They're all great.

First self titled album is cool but I haven't even gotten through it in one sitting ever. 

I listened to the new album a couple of times this weekend and I like it a lot, but the minimal vocals hold it back in a big way for me. The fact that I'm still looking to buy the LP is a testament to how good the music is, though. 

3 hours ago, ethereal said:

museum mouth isn't any better 

It's a reference to a Cap'n Jazz song as is SKSK and both bands sound nothing like Cap'n Jazz or emo. Funny story: I've had the museummouth screen name on so many platforms before that band that they actually bought it off me for their twitter. 

I got into Elder for the vibe they gave off on Dead Roots Stirring. It sounded so groovy and rocking at the same time with killer riffs and fuzz tones and classic rock production style. The musical content was there and the presentation sounded so sweet. When Lore came out I felt like they lost a lot of that vibe but because the music on Lore was a bit more modernistic compared to the musical style on DRS the production style sounded less dated and maybe too modern for me based on my expectation for Elder. So it took me a long time to get used to Lore because of that but once it clicked for me it was glorious. There really is so much going between Lore and ROAFW that you have to give it a lot dedicated attention before you can just leave on as a less attentive listen. I can see how a lot of the music could just roll off someone's back if they're not ready to appreciate it actively. It could just sound like a bunch shit after a bunch of shit and very nondescript but once you really hear it for the first time, it will make more sense every subsequent listen. That's how I feel anyway.

This is an album you have to spend time with and try to listen a few times. If you still don't like it then, then you probably just don't like it.

32 minutes ago, kannibal said:

I listened to the new album a couple of times this weekend and I like it a lot, but the minimal vocals hold it back in a big way for me. The fact that I'm still looking to buy the LP is a testament to how good the music is, though. 

The vocal thing is what held me back from ISIS (the band) for a long time but I realized that I just like music and I don't really need a human voice with lyrics to interpret the mood of the song for me every second of the song. I've learned to appreciate music with minimal or no vocals at all and while Elder could probably rock the shit with more vocals in certain sections, I've become accustomed to the amount of completely instrumental passages that populates their songs. Maybe its because I've become so comfortable with Russian Circles and never hearing any vocals on top of awesome riffs and grooves that I can tolerate the minute amount of vocals in Elder. There are definitely sections where I think if they had some Mars Volta-esque vocals wailing on top of the music it would be ridiculously sweet but I can handle having just the music and thoroughly enjoying it for what it is.

Unfortunately you just missed out on an insane sale allthatisheavy.com was having where multiple colors of that album were available for about $13 and change. I'll keep my eye out for any other sources and let you know if I see anything but you might have to hope they have a tour stop in a city near you to grab one for a reasonable price at this point.