[PO SOON] Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.

35 minutes ago, Tommy said:

This mentality is very confusing for me. Say you hated Beach House, OK, Money Trees is still a boss track

Yeah like they said, if he sampled U2, that's fine, they could make that work, but I cannot stand Bono's vocals, and I wouldn't wanna here him with on a track with Kendrick.

And unrelated, I love beach house and Money Trees is probably one of my favorite samples ever.

6 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

One out of fourteen tracks with a feature you don't like.... confirmed whole album's trash. 

Who said that? All I said was my hyped was killed, and no one said the whole album is gonna be "trash". For me, it's literally one of my favorite artist working with one of my least favorite artist. I'm still gonna listen to everything, even the U2 track with an open mind, but like they said, if Bono sings a chorus I'm probably not gonna like it.

It's pretty common nowadays to have sampled artists credited as "featured" artists since it lets them access streaming royalties that are set aside for featured artists (confusingly named "non-featured artists" by Soundexchange, who do digital royalty stuff: https://www.soundexchange.com/artist-copyright-owner/digital-royalties/) in addition to the negotiated fee for using the sample. If I remember right, it's how Kanye was able to get permission from Otis Redding's estate to sample him on "Otis". 

All that to say, it could very well be a sample - but c'mon, you guys. Modern day U2 are not so bad, and I trust Kendrick knows what he's doing.

1 hour ago, AlexH. said:

It's pretty common nowadays to have sampled artists credited as "featured" artists since it lets them access streaming royalties that are set aside for featured artists (confusingly named "non-featured artists" by Soundexchange, who do digital royalty stuff: https://www.soundexchange.com/artist-copyright-owner/digital-royalties/) in addition to the negotiated fee for using the sample. If I remember right, it's how Kanye was able to get permission from Otis Redding's estate to sample him on "Otis". 

Also, see A$AP Rocky feat. Rod Stewart on "Everyday." My hope is that it's a sample, as well, but when I first read about Rocky having Rod on a track, I was like "Yo, that'll be dumb as hell." Turns out that it wasn't so bad. I'm still very excited Kendrick season. If the Bono feature "ruins" the song for me, I'll skip it. There's still 13 other tracks. 

I am not a fan of U2 in the slightest, I even turned down free tickets to see them but I will still give it a chance.

Just mostly a massive disappointment in the overall track listing after seeing the leaked features and production and hoping that was at least partial correct. Go from that to features of mediocrity to me at least in Rihanna and U2 haha. I am not nearly as hyped about the album as most seem to be in the first place though so I am not expecting album of the year or anything like that.

http://pitchfork.com/news/72828-kendrick-lamars-damn-graphic-designer-explains-cover-art/

i still don't get it.

"bucking what my teachers taught me" =/= making a super lazy MS paint mockup of a time magazine cover.

if you're gonna embrace the "this looks like shit on purpose" side of life you gotta go full pablo.

I just read this on reddit and it gave me a good laugh:

I THINK I FIGURED OUT KENDRICKS NEW ALBUM
submitted 2 days ago * by xxxxxvosper

Here me out for a second... this idea just hit me, and I love it so much that it actually scares me that it won't happen because it's so good.... kendrick is release TWO albums first one comes out on Good Friday (the day Jesus was killed) the title of this album is called DAMN. It's track listing is an anagram of the last letters spelling out "earth led 2 death" which has a meaning related to the people of earth condemning Jesus to the cross and his death. This album has a sad and depressed looking album cover and it's tracks are all bangers that complete destroy the rap industry.. turning it on its head. Kendrick goes in on everyone and basically just "crucifies" the entire game (already so much speculation on HUMBLE. in terms of his attacks on other rappers including big sean and drake)
This album has mixed reviews and thoughts by fans at first... Although the work on this LP is on a new level, and the lyrics are absolutely insane .. many people will still have question marks saying this isn't a typical kendrick album. Where's the deep meaning? This was just him making a bunch of bangers and taking people down. But then.....2 days later...
SUNDAY (Easter) The day Jesus returns from the dead.
A NEW ALBULM called: "Nation"
When put along side the other the duel album becomes "Damn Nation" aka "damnation".
This is album is much deeper, speaking the current political climate and other aspects of culture. What most people would describe as a TPAB sequel. And it represents the RESURRECTION of the new rap game.
Kendrick is our rap savior
drops the mic

• jhulud locked this topic