[PO SOON] Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.

5 hours ago, rooks said:

I mean, it doesn't ruin the song but I stand by the fact that it's basically a pointless feature. I really don't see how it added anything to the song those 6 seconds could have been filled by anything :rolleyes:

I can see how someone would think that way if it was branded as a Bono feature. But it isn't...

Just because Bono is so annoying, people forget that U2 have a pretty great rhythm section - the entire second half is U2 playing drums, bass, and keys. There is virtually nothing else there in the way of synth, production tricks etc. I also think that the jarring change mid-song (reflective of the jarring change in theme - that is, revenge to moving forward with positive change) works totally, and using U2 was kind of a meta way of underlining that. So, not pointless IMO

Edited by dan_smee

36 minutes ago, dan_smee said:

I can see how someone would think that way if it was branded as a Bono feature. But it isn't...

Just because Bono is so annoying, people forget that U2 have a pretty great rhythm section - the entire second half is U2 playing drums, bass, and keys. There is virtually nothing else there in the way of synth, production tricks etc. I also think that the jarring change mid-song (reflective of the jarring change in theme - that is, revenge to moving forward with positive change) works totally, and using U2 was kind of a meta way of underlining that. So, not pointless IMO

I'll give you that. The bassline is sexy.

On 4/13/2017 at 4:15 PM, Tommy said:

I just read this on reddit and it gave me a good laugh:

I THINK I FIGURED OUT KENDRICKS NEW ALBUM
submitted 2 days ago * by xxxxxvosper

Here me out for a second... this idea just hit me, and I love it so much that it actually scares me that it won't happen because it's so good.... kendrick is release TWO albums first one comes out on Good Friday (the day Jesus was killed) the title of this album is called DAMN. It's track listing is an anagram of the last letters spelling out "earth led 2 death" which has a meaning related to the people of earth condemning Jesus to the cross and his death. This album has a sad and depressed looking album cover and it's tracks are all bangers that complete destroy the rap industry.. turning it on its head. Kendrick goes in on everyone and basically just "crucifies" the entire game (already so much speculation on HUMBLE. in terms of his attacks on other rappers including big sean and drake)
This album has mixed reviews and thoughts by fans at first... Although the work on this LP is on a new level, and the lyrics are absolutely insane .. many people will still have question marks saying this isn't a typical kendrick album. Where's the deep meaning? This was just him making a bunch of bangers and taking people down. But then.....2 days later...
SUNDAY (Easter) The day Jesus returns from the dead.
A NEW ALBULM called: "Nation"
When put along side the other the duel album becomes "Damn Nation" aka "damnation".
This is album is much deeper, speaking the current political climate and other aspects of culture. What most people would describe as a TPAB sequel. And it represents the RESURRECTION of the new rap game.
Kendrick is our rap savior
drops the mic

This idiot I was making a joke out of a few days ago just got an article written about him. Either he's an idiot and the writers at the Verge are even bigger idiots, or I'm a complete idiot. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/4/14/15300170/kendrick-lamar-new-album-damn-sunday-more-music-conspiracy

Edited by Tommy

New album is dope. As someone pointed, he went into a different direction without losing his mojo. I'm glad the jazz/funk approach from TPaB didn't become a KL obligatory trademark, as one could have assumed. I've been listening to a lot of hip-hop and black music albums since TPaB, it's probably the genre which I most have listened to in the past two years. Listened to hundreds of different albums and artists and DAMN. is music and production-wise a standout album.

Edited by azvd

On 4/14/2017 at 11:00 AM, timsimmons said:

I'm wondering if this U2 appearance could be a sample from their new album and Kdot gave them a feature because of its exclusivity. The full band gets the writing credits like they do for all U2 tracks, but best I can tell, its just Bono. I hear zero Edge.

Nah they're all there. Edge is on keys, Adam's playing the bass-line, and Larry is playing the drums that are being sampled. 

Edited by richardp

kinda of a random thought:

what if he uses his live stream slot at Coachella tonight to announce it?

like 3 songs in he stops and drops something off the second album and is like "oh yeah the second part is out now"

that would be an epic drop

for those wondering, he's on at 10:25 on channel 1 via Coachella YouTube stream 

6 hours ago, ethereal said:

kinda of a random thought:

what if he uses his live stream slot at Coachella tonight to announce it?

like 3 songs in he stops and drops something off the second album and is like "oh yeah the second part is out now"

that would be an epic drop

for those wondering, he's on at 10:25 on channel 1 via Coachella YouTube stream 

Kind of random that's what everyone has been saying on Reddit since 12:01 Friday. Lol

But, nothing is coming out except an extended music video.

• jhulud locked this topic