PO Soon: Lana Del Rey - Lust for Life

On 3/30/2017 at 11:02 AM, Derek™ said:

I know there's a small crowd on VC who celebrate her material, and that's fine, but I've legitimately read comments (elsewhere) that praise her "gloomy" aesthetic and champion her as the queen of sullen indie.  It's just a relief to hear you parodying that instead of supporting it – I never know on these boards, anymore.

Do they even know who Chelsea Wolfe or Marissa Nadler are?

Edit: Really diggin this single btw

Edited by JRHews

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/04/2017 at 0:58 AM, JRHews said:

Do they even know who Chelsea Wolfe or Marissa Nadler are?

Edit: Really diggin this single btw

I saw a Chelsea Wolfe versus Lana Del Rey  debate somewhere else online and I gotta say that it spins me out that people would even pit them against each other.  I mean I love them both but I definitely feel as though they're in two entirely different fields.  I would assume a large proportion of Lana fans may be in the dark when it comes to Chelsea because she's too heavy for people into the top 40.

1 hour ago, Stress On The Sky said:

I saw a Chelsea Wolfe versus Lana Del Rey  debate somewhere else online and I gotta say that it spins me out that people would even pit them against each other.  I mean I love them both but I definitely feel as though they're in two entirely different fields.  I would assume a large proportion of Lana fans may be in the dark when it comes to Chelsea because she's too heavy for people into the top 40.

Yeah, I agree. I enjoy both quite a bit but Chelsea runs circles around Lana from a talent and writing perspective. That being said, hard to judge as their styles are so different. I think Lana's sound has been molded much more by the producers she's worked with.

Just now, skycriesmary said:

Yeah, I agree. I enjoy both quite a bit but Chelsea runs circles around Lana from a talent and writing perspective. That being said, hard to judge as their styles are so different. I think Lana's sound has been molded much more by the producers she's worked with.

Hands down Chelsea wins, just saw her two days ago and it was a stunning show  and apparently she's wrapped up recordings on the new album (the new stuff she played was ace).

2 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Hands down Chelsea wins, just saw her two days ago and it was a stunning show  and apparently she's wrapped up recordings on the new album (the new stuff she played was ace).

I have yet to see Chelsea, but I saw Marissa Nadler sometime last year, and her set live was one of the most dark, brooding and captivatingly dreamy shows I've seen in a while. Too bad it doesn't translate to the album as well, which is still good in all respects, just the live show was on another level. 

Edited by JRHews

1 hour ago, JRHews said:

I have yet to see Chelsea, but I saw Marissa Nadler sometime last year, and her set live was one of the most dark, brooding and captivatingly dreamy shows I've seen in a while. Too bad it doesn't translate to the album as well, which is still good in all respects, just the live show was on another level. 

I saw her too on that tour, was Muscle & Marrow opening up? I know their drummer was playing with Marissa. 

2 hours ago, JRHews said:

Yea they did, and the guitarist from Earth played with her.

I'm sure it was a good show. Muscle and Marrow put on quite the show for a two piece. i would invite anyone to check out their two albums, especially if you like Chelsea Wolfe, Swans, or anything with a dramatic tinge.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...