Ghost in the Shell

Boomkat of all distros posted about this earlier, which is rad.  Almost ordered directly from them but that deluxe doesn't appear to be limited, so I'm holding out for something stateside like Bull Moose.  Hopefully WRWTFWW do a standup job with the press and continue to go after more elusive stuff that's only been bootlegged thus far.

Edited by Derek™
Fuck the edit tag.

33 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Boomkat of all distros posted about this earlier, which is rad.  Almost ordered directly from them but that deluxe doesn't appear to be limited, so I'm holding out for something stateside like Bull Moose.  Hopefully WRWTFWW do a standup job with the press and continue to go after more elusive stuff that's only been bootlegged thus far.

Sorry, i read that whole thing twice and felt like an idiot.

Edited by clerk3745

Just now, jhulud said:

Anyone going to see the live-action version this weekend? I'm planning on it but will go in with low expectations.

I am, I mean its looks to be pretty faithful to the original but yeah I'm going in with low expectations too. I hope I'm at least partially wrong and its at least fun. I did enjoy the original director, Mamoru Oshii, telling people crying racism concerning the new one to shut up. lol

1 minute ago, clerk3745 said:

I am, I mean its looks to be pretty faithful to the original but yeah I'm going in with low expectations too. I hope I'm at least partially wrong and its at least fun. I did enjoy the original director, Mamoru Oshii, telling people crying racism concerning the new one to shut up. lol

I don't have any problem with the casting but I think it just plain looks bad. And unnecessary. 

(Of course, that makes it on par with 90% of Hollywood films.)

1 minute ago, unknown pleasures said:

I don't have any problem with the casting but I think it just plain looks bad. And unnecessary. 

(Of course, that makes it on par with 90% of Hollywood films.)

Scarlett Johansson = bad and unnecesssary?  I mean if you don't like her thats fine, but I'm not grasping what you're saying.

Also sorry if this is turning into a movie discussion.

1 minute ago, clerk3745 said:

Scarlett Johansson = bad and unnecesssary?  I mean if you don't like her thats fine, but I'm not grasping what you're saying.

Also sorry if this is turning into a movie discussion.

I think they were saying ScarJo is fine, but the movie looks bad and seems unnecessary.

1 hour ago, jhulud said:

Anyone going to see the live-action version this weekend? I'm planning on it but will go in with low expectations.

I haven't decided on that one yet to be honest.

I'd like to say I'm boycotting it because of whitewashing, but I am going to see Power Rangers, which is a total whitewashing and appropriation of Japanese culture. (semi-sarcastic)

I keep going back to all of the anime of watched over the years and how very few characters look remotely Japanese, even in anime set in Japan.

Consider Trigun, based on some planet don't recall if they ever named it....one of the Gung Ho Guns was Japanese....and he looked like this...

rai-dei-the-blade-trigun-5.12.jpg

Notice he doesn't have the classic "Mickey Mouse Eyes" anime and modern manga are so famous for. The rest of the characters in the show do have them. Hell, Milly Thompson LOOKS like  Minnie Mouse!

Even in Rurouni Kenshin, the European characters looked  just like the Japanese characters.

So, Scarlett Johannsen....

NEyTQJfi7oARCA_1_b.jpg

LOOKS pretty similar, made up of course, as the major in the anime.

I'm conflicted I guess.

I got to see it Wednesday and it was alright, nothing amazing and it's faithful to the source in someways but not in others... anyone who wants to see it, go see it and make up your own mind.

Also I want that but hot damn that's quite a bit (more than what I spent on the Evangelion OST), where's the other version you were talking about? (Nevermind I see it)

Edited by Professor Finn

1 hour ago, 74R said:

Off topic but Rupert Sanders, the Ghost In The Shell director, did a short based on Charles Burns' Black Hole comic which I hope will someday be turned into a feature length.

If you're into Cronenberg, Lynch, etc. it's probably worth a watch.

I remember reading Black Hole on a plane trip (to where I can't remember) but that comic is awesome.

I'm going to lay down the gauntlet and say that if you haven't heard the label's newest re-release, Midori Takada's Through The Looking Glass you don't deserve the GITS OST, since that OST could not exist if it weren't for it. Also because it is one of the best ambient albums of all time (although it's also relentlessly percussive).

2 hours ago, 74R said:

Off topic but Rupert Sanders, the Ghost In The Shell director, did a short based on Charles Burns' Black Hole comic which I hope will someday be turned into a feature length.

If you're into Cronenberg, Lynch, etc. it's probably worth a watch.

Oh my god.  I have to watch this soon.  One of my favorite comics.

13 hours ago, jhulud said:

I have the bootleg version of this from a couple of years back and it's still pretty good sound. Will get this for sure from any U.S. distro.

I bought the unofficial copy for $19.99 when I was at End of an Ear in Austin, TX.
I actually haven't gotten around to listen to it, but I was pretty happy I snagged it.