Unconventional setup/speakers advice needed

Audiophiles, I need your help. So here's my setup:

jYFZOIQ.jpg

I DJ sometimes, but lately it's more so just regular listening. Unless someone knows something I don't, the Traktor S4 in the middle has a phono preamp built in. It has a phono input and sounds fine. I have an Onkyo amp (top right corner) that I believe was intended to extend an existing system. It's different than a receiver, it just has a single set of RCA L & R inputs and outputs in the back. There is a small volume knob on the amp that I leave at about half-way, and I use the controller to adjust the volume.  I run the output from the Traktor S4 into the amp (probably obvious). My mom got the Onkyo years ago and never used it, so I took it, and it's been kicking for about  10 years and works beautifully. 

Above the amp, I have a speaker switch box. My speakers are pretty budget, the outside ones are Sony's but had good reviews, and the ones on the window shelf thing are Yahama's that are decent sounding to me as well. I'm no audiophile however. I have the Yahama's so I can turn them around and listen to them in the room behind. Right now, I'm listening to both sets at once, and it sounds good to my ears. It seems to bring out the mids a lot more, and I still hear the stereo separation. Is there any reason I shouldn't be doing this?

Before I start rambling more, I guess I'm just looking for someone knowledgeable to critique what I'm working with. My apologies if this has been addressed before, I did a couple searches but couldn't find anything relevant.  And thanks in advance!

Don't panic, it's not HiFi in the true sense but it will work fine.

There are fundamental things you could do to improve things like put the speakers on separate stands or have a headshell with a more HiFi cart you could use and set the VTA better but if it sounds ok it's fine.

I have a DJ system setup that uses slightly better components in the audio chain and HiFI speakers and the results are pretty good. I'm not familiar with your mixer but some have pretty good phono stages in them and are pretty good pre amps in their own right

Edited by allenh

Awesome, thanks for your advice. I wish I could put the speakers on separate stands but unfortunately don't have the space. I've been thinking about getting a new cart since I've been doing less DJing, so that will be my next move. 

I looked into the preamp on the S4 and it seems Native Instruments are using the same preamp they used in their Audio 8/10 etc interfaces, which are great boxes. So I'll stick with it.