PO NOW: Queens of the Stone Age - Villains (8/25)

Lullabies. I like a few songs on EV but I rarely ever play it. It doesn't have to be desert rock but with JT on the drums you might as well do some bombastic prog rock shit. If they could have taken the tonality of "My God Is The Sun" and based an album on that type of rocking and complexity, that would be good. I wouldn't call that "desert" necessarily but I'm not interested in this band going full Pop. There are a million ways they could go. I'm just shocked its this direction. I could be totally off and there might be mostly killer shit on this album but when you consider the producer and the comments it feels like we're just going to get an upbeat Maroon 5esque Pop/Rock album. Emphasis on the Pop. I hope I'm proven wrong.  That clip reminds me more of "Moves Like Jagger" than anything from TCV or QOTSA.

31 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

That clip reminds me more of "Moves Like Jagger" than anything from TCV or QOTSA.

I can't say I hear that. The new tune sounds like Smooth Sailing/I'm Designer/Gunman (TCV) to my ears. I miss some of the old production and from Lullabies and prior, but they're just not that band anymore.

You don't seem to like the new direction(s) much, but they still blow me away with every release. Absolutely fucking loved Clockwork, even if I wish a few bits had been a bit more... raw. I'm anticipating having a similar reaction to Villains but if it's anywhere near as good as LC I'll love it.

25 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

I can't say I hear that. The new tune sounds like Smooth Sailing/I'm Designer/Gunman (TCV) to my ears. I miss some of the old production and from Lullabies and prior, but they're just not that band anymore.

You don't seem to like the new direction(s) much, but they still blow me away with every release. Absolutely fucking loved Clockwork, even if I wish a few bits had been a bit more... raw. I'm anticipating having a similar reaction to Villains but if it's anywhere near as good as LC I'll love it.

24 minutes ago, daegor said:

I seriously have no idea what goes on in your head that you decide things sound the way you think they do.  It's baffling.

30 minutes ago, ejc625 said:

It's really hard to gauge a sense of what the track is going to sound like from that small clip. I'm reserving judgement until I can hear the entire track. 

That's ok. Its all part of the great and varied complex tapestry of human experience and the individual's filters of bias and experience.

I'll volunteer that the "Moves Like Jagger" comment was a bit of a stretch but in my estimation of what I'm hearing I feel like I've heard enough bands go from raw and killer rock bands to strained and polished Pop bands thinly veiled by their pasts as Rock artists that I can tell what's going to happen by the sound of that track.

Again, I could be wrong and I know I don't have a lot to go on as we have all only heard about 25 new seconds of original material that is meant to be on this album but I'm going with my intuition and based on my experience of watching bad things happen to good bands, I'm predicting that something bad is going to come with this one.

[Most important point]: I hope everyone realizes that they are still fully endowed with the freedom to enjoy this track and any others from this and every artist regardless of my jaded asshole opinion.

The only 2 QOTSA albums I'm not really into are Lullabies and Era Vulgaris. Both of those albums have their moments but the first 3 I hold in such high regard that it was almost impossible for my expectations to be met and that's kind of unfair. I did enjoy Like Clockwork quite a bit but I hope this new one is a little heavier. That little clip sounded pretty good.

1 hour ago, daegor said:

pop   bad

No genre or influence is automatically a bad thing, regardless of where a band came from.  Well crafted music is genre-less and doesn't give a shit what you sounded like 10 years ago.

When I say Pop, I mean contrived, overproduced and built to sound like everything else in top 40 within reason as it applies to the base genre. QOTSA were never that. Even with some of their more accessible hits, they still felt like themselves. I don't like where the clip sounds like the song is going but I'll reserve final judgement for after I hear the full album. It just doesn't bode well.

I understand that "Pop" has a few different meanings to different people. I used it like a four letter word to indicate the aforementioned traits. There is plenty of music I like that happens to qualify as "Pop" by traditional standards but I'm never going to say to people that I like "Pop" music. I like music that could qualify as "Pop" depending on how much different and obscure music one is aware of.

Pop is usually bad in my personal opinion, especially if you have music that you solely regard as pop and especially for the past 20 years or so. I just prefer music that comes from musicians who can not only perform, but also write their own original music. I don't like music that sounds like it was Frankensteined based on market research and pre-packaged to be put in a Target commercial. I've gotten to the point in my life where I can hear that shit a mile away and when I hear traits like that creeping into the body of work of bands that I respect for having a unique flavor all their own, I get miffed. All I'm saying is something sort of stinks in this situation so far but its definitely a little too early to tell and I'll have to wait and find out how bad they may have been infected until I hear the whole thing or even just a full single at this point. 

Again, I could be wrong but "Pop" is still a bad word in my context. 

I mean, I'm super down the rabbit hole of Twin Peaks right now, and when I saw Josh Homme in that video, I thought, "Man, he looks like he'd fit right in this season of Twin Peaks," similar to how Trent Reznor is supposed to make a cameo. Anyway, all that said, I have trouble trusting anything on TV or whatever right now, and I'm questioning everything. So, it'd be hilarious to me if they played off this lie detector thing, and in fact, that's not a new QOTSA song, Villains isn't the name of the record, Mark Ronson (though I love Ronson's production) didn't produce, and everyone got duped. All of that considered, McPherson up there would still be disappointed in the record, for that is certain.

That's all far-fetched, I know, but David Lynch has me all messed up.

EDIT: Song clip in the polygraph video is cool. I'm a very casual fan of QOTSA. Era Vulgaris is my favorite record of theirs. I'll be interested in hearing this.

Edited by TheWindBlower

7 hours ago, TheWindBlower said:

Anyway, all that said, I have trouble trusting anything on TV or whatever right now, and I'm questioning everything. So, it'd be hilarious to me if they played off this lie detector thing, and in fact, that's not a new QOTSA song, Villains isn't the name of the record, Mark Ronson (though I love Ronson's production) didn't produce, and everyone got duped.

This has actually happened before, not quite to the extent of everything being a lie but ahead of Era Vulgaris they did actually feed the media a whole bunch of misinformation about the album including fake guest appearances just because they were tired of the predictable press cycle bullshit ahead of an album release.

Regardless of what happens they've earned the right to have their albums be blind purchases with me and it'd probably take two or three utter stinkers of albums to see that change.

Raw QOTSA = good
Polished QOTSA = good

I like the overdriven mic tone on a Josh's voice and it's a pretty nice vocal performance....

...that's about it.

I won't torture you guys so this is the last I'll drone on about it but this sounds like Mark Ronson producing the fuck out of some studio players toward his own vision.

Enjoy, everyone.