PO NOW: Queens of the Stone Age - Villains (8/25)

Really blows someone did that. I appreciate you coming to us with it @hyperg1ant Sorry someone blew it and really hope no one you know is effected by this. 

I think it's a great collection of solid songs. Doesn't have as many standout single type songs as their albums usually do IMO. Feet and Wyutd. Not that it's a bad thing just an observation. Love Head Like A Haunted House. Considering how popular they have become after LC, I'm interested to see how this one is received.

Edited by jpatrickbell

1 minute ago, jpatrickbell said:

Really blows someone did that. I appreciate you coming to us with it @hyperg1ant Sorry someone blew it and really hope no one you know is effected by this. 

Puuuuulease.  If the link he sent me worked I would have sent the leak to all my friends, who would have shared with their friends, etc etc.  Inevitable it gets out.

1 hour ago, youspinmeround said:

So what does the VC actually think of the music now that we have heard it?

Or shall we continue the usual convo on leaks, variants, shipping notifications and other useless information

A few decent songs that sound like Crooked Vulture songs.  Otherwise pretty meh.

34 minutes ago, noname said:

Puuuuulease.  If the link he sent me worked I would have sent the leak to all my friends, who would have shared with their friends, etc etc.  Inevitable it gets out.

A few decent songs that sound like Crooked Vulture songs.  Otherwise pretty meh.

Cool.  Side note: do not send leaks to anyone without an avatar.

Regarding the music.  Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but the volume and equalization across the album was a bit rougher than I'm used to hearing with the average leak – especially in the back half – so I'd like to reserve an actual opinion for the real album.  I listened once and will be shelving it until the real thing is in hand, because quite a few moments, riffs, and choruses deserve top quality at respectable volumes.

I listened to it a few times and it's definitely a good record. Buuuuuuut I'm still slightly disappointed. It's a good rock album but you expect more from this band.

It feels a bit one-dimensional and it lacks variety, I think.  And it doesn't really leave you satisfied by the end. People are going to compare to Era Vulgaris for sure. It has few instant-classics like 'Hideway' and the last track, but some other songs like the 'The Evil Has Landed' and 'Domesticated Animals' sound like Them Crooked Vultures songs. 

Mark Ronson is going to receive so much hate. I can already see it. 

18 minutes ago, VinylMario said:

Personally, I have not heard it yet and choose to wait for my copy before I judge it. I like the first single that was released, but I feel I will have a unique experience by listening to it on vinyl first.

You're making the right choice by waiting for the record to show up.  The muddied audio and lack of true dynamic does no favor for the "one dimensional" sound nick69 speaks of.  I personally feel like (most all QOTSA rexords,) the songs will really shape into their own and stand out with some repeated listens over a few weeks or a month, but I'm choosing to wait for a better copy – digitally or physically – before I embark on that journey.

I liked The Way You Used To Do much better. It sounded like something new from them, while the newer single just sounds like a Them Crooked Vultures B-Side.

I'm really liking Boneface's work again. But I'd love to go back to the days when the art was pretty shitty but the records ruled.

59 minutes ago, swan said:

Glad to hear positive initial things about the new album. Zero interest in hearing a leak and hoping for a little bit of a heavier and groovier record than the last one.

Definitely groovier and overall a bit heavier if you're looking at all the tracks in comparison to ...LC's roster.  Nowhere near as "heavy" as their earlier stuff though. (But hopefully no one was dense enough to suspect that after the first single we got.)