PO NOW: Queens of the Stone Age - Villains (8/25)

Ya, those cameos really ruined a great QOTSA album! Wait...

Rated R:

Queens of the Stone Age
  • Josh Homme – guitars (tracks 1 - 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11), lead vocals (tracks 1 - 3, 5, 6, 11), percussion (tracks 3, 8), lead guitar (tracks 4, 7), backing vocals (tracks 4, 8), drums (track 4), piano (track 10), producer, mixing, concept
  • Nick Oliveri – bass (tracks 1 - 3, 5 - 11), backing vocals (tracks 1, 2, 5, 6, 11), lead vocals (tracks 4, 7, 9), guitar (track 4), percussion (track 8), concept, art conception
Guest musicians
  • Dave Catching – electric piano (tracks 1, 2, 8), lap steel guitar (tracks 1, 11), guitar (tracks 6, 7), B3 (track 4), piano (track 5), 12-string guitar (track 10)
  • Nick Lucero – drums (tracks 2, 3, 5, 8, 11), percussion (tracks 3, 4)
  • Gene Trautmann – drums (tracks 1, 6, 7, 9)
  • Chris Goss – backing vocals (tracks 4, 5, 6), grand piano (track 1), percussion (track 1), noise piano (track 2), bass (track 4), producer
  • Mark Lanegan – backing vocals (tracks 4, 11), lead vocals (track 8)
  • Barrett Martin – vibes (tracks 2, 5), percussion (tracks 5, 10), steel drum (track 11)
  • Mike Johnson – backing vocals (track 3)
  • Peter Stahl – backing vocals (track 2)
  • Rob Halford – backing vocals (track 1)
  • Nick Eldorado – backing vocals (tracks 1, 7)
  • Wendy Rae Fowler (Wendy Ray Moan) – backing vocals (tracks 1, 7)
  • Scott Mayo – baritone sax (track 2), horns (track 11)
  • Fernando Pullum – flugal horn (track 7), horns (track 11)
  • Reggie Young – horns (track 11)

SFTD:

Queens of the Stone Age[edit]

Additional musicians[edit]

No one ever said that cameos ever ruined any past QOTSA albums. My argument (and I'm not speaking for anyone else) is that the band is different now and on the last album, I feel that the songs were somewhat contrived in spots and didn't feel like a band making music but more of a frontman setting the tone, doing the writing and placing  the core band and a bunch of guest players where they belong. Self Titled and SFTD are probably their best and most jam/band oriented sounding albums. Rated R sounds a bit more contrived and while about half the album is great and the other half is just good (IMO), I find the first and third records superior due in large part to their slightly more extemporaneous feeling qualities. 

There are good things about ...Like Clockwork but it feels like its missing something... no pun intended. I feel similarly about Rated R as a whole, even though I recognize it contains iconic tracks that are amazing and that I love, some of it is throwaway for me. 

Lullabies feels somewhere in between my love and appreciation for S/T and SFTD and the distracting, disjointed feel of RR and ...LC though its a very close 3rd to S/T and SFTD.

Edited by mcpherson123

6 hours ago, BuzzersonKillwell said:

Curious to see what they cook up this time. Last record was pretty different and by all accounts, a rough effort. 

Dunno if they'll double-down on that vibe or pull a 180. Or what. Excited to find out. 

Not sure what you mean, but there are people, including myself, that think it was their best album. 

To be honest I don't think there's been an album these guys have put out that has missed the mark for me. They've all got their own personal charms and strengths and even when they don't immediately click with me a few returns is all it ever takes.

Revisited ...Like Clockwork and Era Vulgaris a few days ago and whilst they may not have started off as favourites these days I'd find it hard to put any of QOTSA's albums in a ranked list. 

On 4/7/2017 at 1:20 PM, YouTwo said:

Definitely let me know!  I tried to email them and ask but it says Collectors-Choice has their contact form available.  I remember I ordered form them one time and it was supposed to be a clear variant but it was a black version.  They have something down in their fine print that says they can't gaurantee the color variant because it uses the same UPC (but somehow it always ends up with the standard edition under the color version listing, never the other way around).

Got mine in today - it is the deluxe, and it's beautiful! What a steal at $19 shipped 

If the album just got mixed, it still needs to be mastered. I would like a track by tomorrow but it seems unlikely that they will have a digital file ready for consumption by tomorrow since mastering and mass production would likely come before the release of anything from a band of their status. They probably won't just do an export of a WAV from the mixing DAW and compress it to be uploaded. Seems like they would wait for their mass production service to provide the digital cut for them to do any promotion with.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, elvismcvegas said:

I'm ready. Is there a countdown timer or anything? I clicked everything.

Sadly not. But it's believed they'll release the first single before their first show, which is a week from Thursday. If it follows the Like Clockwork timeline the album would come in August probably.