Going To D.C. In July (Suggestions?!)

Like the title says, I'm going to Washington D.C. in June for a few days.  My parents were going and invited me to come along with them.  They want to check out the Holocaust Museum and the Arlington Cemetary which I'm down to see...

Not trying to be super tourist-y.  Of course I want to see the Capitol, the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, the White House (and the walk past the DISCHORD HOUSE), but any other good places off the radar?

Best record stores and vegan/veggie friendly stops would be appreciated too ;)

I already checked the local venues too for any upcoming shows, but nothing sparked my interest for the days I'll be there.

Edited by curator
Moved to July, not June ;)

100% go to NuVegan (Woodlands Vegan Bistro was the old name).  I don't know if they have it anymore but if they have  the mac n cheese and the fried chicken sandwich you have to get it.  It was the best vegan food in the city, and probably the best two items on the menu.

Sticky Fingers has really good donuts, and the food is okay.  Despite living in DC for 5 years I didn't really eat at more "mostly" veg restaurants so I can't help you beyond this.  ShopHouse / Sweetgreen are really good for lunch.

I hate dc.

ShopHouse no longer exists unfortunately. Amsterdam Falafel is pretty good and there are a few locations around the city. Fare Well on H St is really good. Thai X-ing is an amazing thai place that can do vegetarian dishes. In fact, on sunday they are strictly vegetarian. You might also want to check out Bad Saint. They are one of the best restaurants in the city but you have to wait in line (no reservations).

When looking at music venues & food, don't forget to check out The Pinch and Comet Ping Pong.  

As far as record stores, Songbyrd is decent (and they are a veggie restaurant), Smash records has some good stuff and so does Joint Custody. 

If you're looking for off the beaten path stuff, try checking Atlas Obscura. 

http://www.atlasobscura.com/things-to-do/washington-dc

I would also recommend Teddy Roosevelt Island. It's pretty amazing. 

4 hours ago, Team Avatar said:

NO MORE SHOPHOUSE? what! That place did so well during lunch time, nooooo, it was my go to spot 3x a week.

Dude, it was usually very busy but Chipotle pulled the plug. They said something like they didn't see how it would expand so they are doing a hamburger or pizza concept. Like there aren't enough of those. Those meatballs were my jam...

If you are on the mall the Hirshorn and Freer-Sackler are recommended. The Hirshorn is the one shaped like a urinal cake - it's has modern art, with a small permanent collection and often interesting traveling exhibits. If you are lucky there will be a giant wax sculpture of a fat naked man in the basement. The freer-sackler has a nice asian art collection. One of the best monuments is the FDR Memorial - it's a bit out of the way, but worth the walk.

DC has myriad food choices. Not sure of your home town selection, but there is bound to be something new on offer. There are more ethiopian places here than anywhere this side of addis ababa. Plus, Brazilian, Burmese, Dominican, Cuban..... I do love me some cuban food.

13 hours ago, Team Avatar said:

So I just went there for work - some new comments

&pizza is pretty freaking good for a late night quick bite.

the monuments at night are hopping but still a great thing to do.

lauriol plaza is also fun for food

&pizza is pretty crucial. Also keep in mind it's humid as fuck here so hydration will be key

On 4/7/2017 at 9:16 PM, Team Avatar said:

Also! nuvegan has the chicken sandwiches and mac n cheese still so you HAVE to go there

Eating fried chicken and mac n cheese right now.  Holy shit it's good.

Went to &pizza yesterday which was also bomb.

About to do a solo record store crawl in a few.. Smash, Red Onion, Joint Custody and Som.  Will update if I find any good stuff.

On 7/14/2017 at 2:23 PM, dynamitekid said:

&pizza is pretty crucial. Also keep in mind it's humid as fuck here so hydration will be key

So hot and sunny outside.  Lots of sunscreen and water.  I'm dyinggg!

On 7/14/2017 at 2:26 PM, dynamitekid said:

Oh also if youre going on a weekend be sure to check this

https://www.wmata.com/service/status/details/weekend.cfm

The metro is all screwed up so make sure your route is getting serviced

Ubered most of the trip.  It ended up being cheaper when I was with my family and I just choose the carpool option if I'm alone.  Thanks for the tip though!