Sound problem

I have an Audio Technica LP60 (I know I know. It was a gift). I got it yesterday. I went out and bought some records brand new and set everything up but the sound is terrible. It's muffled and scratchy. Again, the record player and records are brand new. I have tried multiple records with multiple different speakers (using line and phono settings correctly) and still no results. The only thing I can think of now is that the stylus is bad but I literally just took it out of the box. It looks ok to me but this is my first record player so my experience is next to none. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

5 hours ago, allenh said:

Take it back for a refund and unless there's a big ball of fluff on the stylus the most likely causes are going to be a shite cartridge/stylus or the on board electronics. Both of which require replacement parts and or repair

This is the most likely scenario. Those aren't great turntables by any definition, but should play without the sound being muffled and scratchy.